Quantcast
Suspicious People in Evanston - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Suspicious People in Evanston

Default Suspicious People in Evanston

I have a security camera video to share. This happened a few weeks ago and I have been too busy to post.

Background:
    These suspicious people showed up at my front door and rang the door bell. They appeared to be staking out potential targets for home break-ins. When I finally opened the door, they immediately turned around to leave. I confronted them on what they wanted and they just said "nothing" and walked back in the same direction as where they came from. This incident was reported to the police. My house was possibly a potential target because I had shovelled the snow earlier in the morning and my neighbour just shovelled maybe half an hour before this video. Snow has accumulated on my driveway since I shovelled and the house must have appeared to be unoccupied.

Tell me if these people looked suspicious to you, or if I am just being overly cautious/anxious.

Yea, not door-to-door if they went back the way they came.

Is the camera obvious, she didn't exactly hide her face? Ours are, though it doesn't stop guys from rifling through my wife's Mazda when the doors are left unlocked

It's worth reporting for sure. It's not like CPS is going to put CSI on the case, but if more than one person on the block reports it they might keep a closer eye on things.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Yeah, definitely prowling. This is why people are talking about reinforced door frames and 3M security film in another thread.

Pro tip: mount a camera 5 feet off the ground and aim it at the direction they came from.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

OP, you should post this in the Evanston FB group if you haven't already.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

#datsuburbanlyfe
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by syscal View Post
    Yea, not door-to-door if they went back the way they came.

Is the camera obvious, she didn't exactly hide her face? Ours are, though it doesn't stop guys from rifling through my wife's Mazda when the doors are left unlocked

It's worth reporting for sure. It's not like CPS is going to put CSI on the case, but if more than one person on the block reports it they might keep a closer eye on things.
    I am guessing they had a vehicle somewhere to the camera's right and they just walked half a block over to my house. It was a weekend in February so it was freezing cold and the people had their jacket zippers down so they couldn't have walked far. I saw that one of the girls was taking a cell phone out, likely to call for someone to break in. I wasn't gonna take any chances and confronted them right away. My wife was saying why I am so rude to the people... it was just the adrenaline kicking in... natural fight or flight response. She was saying maybe they got the wrong address... so I am glad that people agreed that these people looked sketchy.

Interestingly, a neighbour's car got broken into on the driveway (probably not locked) a couple of nights later and their garage door was opened using the garage door opener in the vehicle. My camera caught a glimpse of the guy with a backpack walking away from my neighbour's house at 3:30 a.m.

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    Yeah, definitely prowling. This is why people are talking about reinforced door frames and 3M security film in another thread.

Pro tip: mount a camera 5 feet off the ground and aim it at the direction they came from.
    I have since tilted the camera down slightly to catch more of the door so I will know if people are messing with the front door in the future. The camera is white on a dark colour house so it is quite noticeable but crooks are stupid. I will add a stop sign sticker near the door bell or door knob alerting that they are on camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Kg810 View Post
    OP, you should post this in the Evanston FB group if you haven't already.
    Can you kindly point me to this Evanston FB group? I had previously requested to join one but they never granted me access.

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

pm'd you

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Quote Originally Posted by cloud7 View Post
    Can you kindly point me to this Evanston FB group? I had previously requested to join one but they never granted me access.
    Check your PM.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

what kind of camera are you using for this?

How are these deadbeats even getting up there? Usually they come with the C-Train but it doesn't run anywhere near Evanston.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    How are these deadbeats even getting up there? Usually they come with the C-Train but it doesn't run anywhere near Evanston.
    Cars are cheap these days. Even cheaper when they are stolen or don't have insurance. We had a prowler in Hamptons and it was some kid riding his bike around. Shit bags will always find ways to be shit bags.

Quote Originally Posted by botox View Post
    Cars are cheap these days. Even cheaper when they are stolen or don't have insurance. We had a prowler in Hamptons and it was some kid riding his bike around. Shit bags will always find ways to be shit bags.
    Yeah fair enough, I guess I was just surprised to see them venturing so far. Usually, but obviously not always, a much higher proportion of this sort of thing surrounds the C-Train lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    what kind of camera are you using for this?
    Nightowl HD cameras... not the best out there but it does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by botox View Post
    Yeah fair enough, I guess I was just surprised to see them venturing so far. Usually, but obviously not always, a much higher proportion of this sort of thing surrounds the C-Train lines.
    No point for them to break into homes in Forest Lawn as there are not much to steal unless you are looking for drugs. Suburbs are popular also because there is virtually no one walking around to report them stealing stuff.

No point for them to break into homes in Forest Lawn as there are not much to steal unless you are looking for drugs. Suburbs are popular also because there is virtually no one walking around to report them stealing stuff.
    Aspen is really bad for this, from what I understand, because all the crackheads can just hop on a train from downtown right to 69th st and there's tons of rich people out there.

Posted the same video on the Evanston FB group. Somehow most people there think they are just harmless kids that went to the wrong house.

My Ride
    '21 Taco

Posted the same video on the Evanston FB group. Somehow most people there think they are just harmless kids that went to the wrong house.
    Weird. They don't look like kids on the video. lol.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    This and that.

While it is plausible I guess, why would they simply not say, 'sorry we didn't realize this was the wrong house' or something along the lines. The way they scurried away without saying zilch makes me think otherwise. But who knows.