Quantcast
winter X games in Calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: winter X games in Calgary

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Default winter X games in Calgary

Couldn't get the winter Olympics? How about the winter X games? That's cool no?

My Ride
    Lariat

Very cool! Most of the guys train here anyways, so why not throw one of the biggest winter action sport contests here too
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

That's something I would come to town for, for sure. Olympics? No thanks.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...m-2020-to-2022

Calgary secures rights to host Winter X Games from 2020 to 2022

Ryan Rumbolt
    Updated: March 13, 2019

Calgary is stepping into the extreme sports arena with talks to host the Winter X Games through 2022.

The city has secured exclusive rights to host the event in 2020 through 2022, subject to securing corporate sponsorship.

Mayor Naheed Nenshi made the announcement alongside Provincial Minister of Culture and Tourism Ricardo Miranda and Cindy Ady, Tourism Calgary CEO.

“We’re excited to be taking this step towards hosting the first X Games on Canadian snow,” Nenshi said. “It’s about brining Calgary to a world stage. The economic spinoffs are significant, and support out plans for tourism and economic development.”

The city, through Tourism Calgary, will be investing $1.8 million per year for three years to support the WInter X games. Miranda said deal is “years in the making” and the province has committed $13.5 million to hosting the event for the next three years.

“This would be a fantastic opportunity to show Alberta to the world, showcasing not only our amazing athlete and facilities, but our artists and culture as well,” he said.

The Stampede Grandstand would be transformed into a 14-story jump for the competition and a rendering from Manifesto Sports Management shows a built-in a stage for musical performances.

Nenshi said the Winter X Games will support 540 jobs annually and bring 75,000 spectators annually to Calgary every year the city hosts the competition, which will also feature concerts and special events.

The mayor said the city projects $75 million per year in expected economic activity during the hosting run.

Noah Bowman is Calgarian and X Games silver and bronze medalist in ski superpipe and said his hometown is “the perfect place to host the X Games.”

“I grew up skiing WinSport and X Games was always the pinnacle of our sport. We didn’t have Olympic opportunities at that point either, and to have that potentially coming to Calgary would be a major dream come true,” Bowman said.

Cassie Sharpe, Olympic gold medalist and four-time X Games athlete, said the X Games

“That was the event that we all dreamed of going to — it still is for a lot of up-and-comers,” she said.

“How big it is, how much fun it is, how much energy the crowds have — it’s just a super fun event to be a part of and hang out and attend.”

The Winter X Games in 1997 took place in Bear Lake, Calif., and features events in snowboarding, snowmobiling and skiing during the four-day-long competition. The Winter X Games will also feature musical performances.

The event has featured some of the most renowned athletes in extreme and action sports, including American Olympic Gold Medalist Shaun White and the late Caleb Moore.

Aspen’s Buttermilk Mountain in Colorado has been home to the X Games for more than a decade. The 2019 competition ran Jan. 24-27.

Ady said Tourism Calgary hopes to secure indefinite rights for the Winter X Games, saying competition could become an “anchor event” and make the Grandstand a destination in the winter season, not just during the Stampede.

“For three years, we get the games,” Ady said. “We want that forever.”

My Ride

wicked.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

So big air at the stampede grounds... but what about the rest of the events? Winsport? I feel like Xgames run much more of a slope style course and ski/board-x than COP could handle... what about snowmobile/bike events? Need a large open area with plenty of snow for that one

My Ride

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that if X-Games have committed, they've fully evaluated their needs being met. They're not going to water down the brand just so they get the joy of coming to Calgary. Will be interesting to learn more.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah I’m just curious to see what it looks like, I think sunshine or Louise would have to be involved which would mean some wild terrain parks for Alberta, which would be pretty cool... well, if they leave them built all season. I remember Louise had some crazy event back in the day and the park was huuuuge... but not open to the public at all

For the record its not the real X-games. Thats still in Aspen till 2024.

Smaller games. Similar to Oslo.

My Ride
    Lariat

Yeah, like X Games Europe essentially. Kind of how Dew Tour hosts a few events throughout the winter, not just one main event.

COP has all the space needed for slopestyle, X games Aspen has ~4 jib elements and 3 jumps on the course, the COP main line is already set up like that.
    As for skier/boarder X I'm sure they could have a really fun course made up, just wouldn't be super long.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride

I'm still excited about it, I'll def. come down to watch.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Does it include a a c-train to teh airport?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?