Quantcast
Westjet is just turning into Air canada - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Westjet is just turning into Air canada

My Ride
    ute

Default Westjet is just turning into Air canada

I've been a Gold member for WJ for years now. They bumped me down a notch with the introduction of Platinum, which is fine I don't really care.

But one of the perks of Gold/Platinum used to be complimentary upgrades to Plus on checkin. It was a nice thing to get...they automatically assigned you a Plus seat, so when you checked in it was already there. Nothing to do. (If you wanted to buy Plus, you could before checkin).

Yesterday I checked in a couple of hours after the 24 hour checking period began, and was surprised to see that all of the plus seats were available for me to purchase. I happened to be on with WJ support at the time, and mentioned that I didn't get my usual complimentary upgrade even though there were obviously seats available. She said WJ still does it, but they reserve seats for purchase still. That's basically a way of saying you don't get complimentary upgrades any more - even though it's listed as a perk on the Gold status web-page. Great job westjet.

So I ended up buying plus (it's usually not that expensive, I dont really mind paying for it). Got on the plane starving because I was late, only to be informed that they don't do any food at all on flights less than 4 hours now.

Westjet has turned into the same crappy airline as all of the other airlines. I guess it was inevitable.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I take it you have not flown with them for a while - this is old news really. As a frequent traveler, its obvious that AC has a superior product in Canada, for the same price.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I take it you have not flown with them for a while - this is old news really. As a frequent traveler, its obvious that AC has a superior product in Canada, for the same price.
    Do you mean the specifics? I didn't know that actually. I still regularly just pay for Plus/Premium, so I didn't notice that aspect.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Do you mean the specifics? I didn't know that actually. I still regularly just pay for Plus/Premium, so I didn't notice that aspect.
    I dont get the no food aspect - if I am flying YYC to Toronto for business, there fucking better be food on board. Thats one reason to avoid WJ for sure.

My Ride
    ute

I dont get the no food aspect - if I am flying YYC to Toronto for business, there fucking better be food on board. Thats one reason to avoid WJ for sure.
    I liked the way WJ treated its customers, and the gold perks were decent enough for me to continue using them. I'm open to switching my loyalties to AC for sure. What do you like better about AC?

My Ride
    V8s

It is possible to get upgraded to plus for free still if you have status - but not until you're at the gate. I've done that a pile of times.

One differentiator in favor of AC, is the AC lounges are significantly nicer - and you have unlimited access once you have 50k status. WJ lounges are shitty, and you never have unlimited access. I can use up my 10 lounge passes in the first couple months of the year, then I'm sitting out on the concourse like some pleb.

In my experience, the WJ employees are much more pleasant to deal with still. AC employees are all old and miserable, WJ are a bit younger and less miserable. Another small positive aspect of flying WJ, IMO, is they let you keep your headphones on pretty much the entire time. AC are nazis about removing headphones during ascent/descent and it drives me crazy.

My Ride

I have not flown with WJ recently, but from posts by other frequent travelers (like yourself) its was a pretty easy decision. Lack of food, dark IFE, poor seats, EU-style business class (which they are slowly moving away from) etc....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    It is possible to get upgraded to plus for free still if you have status - but not until you're at the gate. I've done that a pile of times.

One differentiator in favor of AC, is the AC lounges are significantly nicer - and you have unlimited access once you have 50k status. WJ lounges are shitty, and you never have unlimited access. I can use up my 10 lounge passes in the first couple months of the year, then I'm sitting out on the concourse like some pleb.

In my experience, the WJ employees are much more pleasant to deal with still. AC employees are all old and miserable, WJ are a bit younger and less miserable. Another small positive aspect of flying WJ, IMO, is they let you keep your headphones on pretty much the entire time. AC are nazis about removing headphones during ascent/descent and it drives me crazy.
    The headphone off rule is now only during the safety demos during preflight. Even then, I leave one ear open and other closed.

Also, frequent travelers should be checking out a CC that offers perks like lounges - the one in YYC (chinook lounge) is actually pretty decent.

I have not flown with WJ recently, but from posts by other frequent travelers (like yourself) its was a pretty easy decision. Lack of food, dark IFE, poor seats, EU-style business class (which they are slowly moving away from) etc....

- - - Updated - - -

The headphone off rule is now only during the safety demos during preflight. Even then, I leave one ear open and other closed.

Also, frequent travelers should be checking out a CC that offers perks like lounges - the one in YYC (chinook lounge) is actually pretty decent.
    Its not even that anymore. I just flew AC to pheonix and back and had my over ear noise canceling headphone on from when I sat in my seat till we landed. Only time I took them off is when they did the exit row thing since I was sitting in the exit row.

My Ride
    ute

I dont really consider myself a frequent traveler compared to some. And I definitely don't want to be. Airline status is a dubious distinction at best.

I should call up AC and see what they do for WJ gold customers as an incentive.

My Ride
    V8s

Basically no hot food, and serve yourself drinks, and original decor and furniture from the 90's is not decent IMO. Especially not when you have to burn one of your limited number of passes for every entry.

The domestic AC lounge is better in every conceivable way. Full bar (that actually has a bartender/barista for early morning lattes), actual hot food, nice/variety of seats, etc etc.

That's great that AC actually lets you fly with headphones now, I haven't flown with them in a few months. Got my 50k with them extended a full year due to having a kid though haha.

Buster is right, airline status is indeed a dubious distinction.

Gold/Platinum members have unlimited access. They are also planning on operating their own lounges at YVR, YYC and YYZ soon.
    ---

Tough to compete when one company has the bailout/backing of the Federal Government and the other is working to actually make a profitable product.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

They started as a "discount airline", but starting two CEO's ago, they don't even bother claiming that anymore. Just about every flight I've ever checked is the same price as AC

My Ride
    ute

I doubt that is hard to do - they simply monitor each other's websites.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

WJ lounges are shitty, and you never have unlimited access.
    It's unlimited now IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I should call up AC and see what they do for WJ gold customers as an incentive.
    They'll laugh in your face.

Basically no hot food, and serve yourself drinks, and original decor and furniture from the 90's is not decent IMO. Especially not when you have to burn one of your limited number of passes for every entry.

The domestic AC lounge is better in every conceivable way. Full bar (that actually has a bartender/barista for early morning lattes), actual hot food, nice/variety of seats, etc etc.
    Werd. Comparing WJ lounge access to AC (+Star Alliance) lounge access is like comparing Olive Garden to Teatro.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    They started as a "discount airline", but starting two CEO's ago, they don't even bother claiming that anymore. Just about every flight I've ever checked is the same price as AC
    Prices are similar, but every time I need to fly somewhere, WJ hands down has the better flight times. AC is junk in that regard. That's the only thing that has kept me "loyal" to WJ.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

They'll laugh in your face.
    I'm unbearably charming.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Lol Westjet has always sucked. Most of their long flights these days don’t even have a fucking plug in plus no screen. Impossible to get any work done if your on a laptop.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    Gold/Platinum members have unlimited access. They are also planning on operating their own lounges at YVR, YYC and YYZ soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's unlimited now IIRC.
    I'm a current gold member, had no idea they rolled out unlimited access. That's a step in the right direction for sure.

The lounge that WJ has in international YYC terminal is better than the chinook garbage, but it's still a far cry from the AC lounge.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The lounge that WJ has in international YYC terminal is better than the chinook garbage, but it's still a far cry from the AC lounge.
    Aspire? That's my Olive Garden comparison.

As an AC flyer, for US flights, I enter through domestic, enjoy the AC lounge, walk thru the back road to get into Terminal E (50% chance needing to redo security, it's fucking random thx CATSA) just to avoid Aspire which I also have access to. It's fucking terrible.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast