Quantcast
What's a "tune-up" these days? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's a "tune-up" these days?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I used to take either my highlander or kia to a dealership for their service I used to get a line item on the statement saying "tighten propeller shaft" which i presume refers to something on a 4wd but I remember seeing it on my FWD service statement too, what is this and since its never found on a quick lube service should I be getting it done?

I also dont understand the wide variety of pricing on a dealership service versus a mr lube service for pretty much the same services. I guess quality is probably better at a dealership but for example at toyota near mcleod you can drop off at 7am and their pick up time is 5pm WTF man im just getting an oil change.
    Honda West used to want a full day to do oil changes on the Odyssey too. T&T Honda is much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    i think he's in Van.

Both Glenmore and Royal Oak do loaners here, but sometimes you have to book further out at Royal Oak if you want a loaner. Glenmore and also their satellite service location are a lot easier to get an appt including a loaner from my experience
    Ah, ok I didn't realize he was in Vancouver. Probably a way higher percentage of Audi owners there too, maybe they can't keep up with loaners haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Honda West used to want a full day to do oil changes on the Odyssey too. T&T Honda is much better.
    I used to go to Honda West because I bought my first Civic there. They literally refused to give me an end time for the oil change, and sometimes it took them 4+ hours. They said they didn't book time slots for oil changes at all (this may be different now as I imagine tons of people complained). This happened twice in a row before I stopped using their dealership entirely. They also put non-synthetic in my car once and I had to wait another 2hr for them to re-do it properly.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:00 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Ah, ok I didn't realize he was in Vancouver. Probably a way higher percentage of Audi owners there too, maybe they can't keep up with loaners haha.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to go to Honda West because I bought my first Civic there. They literally refused to give me an end time for the oil change, and sometimes it took them 4+ hours. They said they didn't book time slots for oil changes at all (this may be different now as I imagine tons of people complained). This happened twice in a row before I stopped using their dealership entirely. They also put non-synthetic in my car once and I had to wait another 2hr for them to re-do it properly.
    Honda West hasn't gotten better. I used them for the first/last time last summer for my wifes rdx and they are exactly the same. I booked an appointment for an oil change, and upon arrival they said it wouldn't go in for at least an hr, and not sure how long it would be. After pointedly asking "what's the point of booking an appointment if you can't start on time, and you won't give an ETA?" and getting a dumbfounded look in return, and them having my car for 4 hours, I decided I'm never going to them again. I'm much happier driving across the city to see Jackie.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    Honda West hasn't gotten better. I used them for the first/last time last summer for my wifes rdx and they are exactly the same. I booked an appointment for an oil change, and upon arrival they said it wouldn't go in for at least an hr, and not sure how long it would be. After pointedly asking "what's the point of booking an appointment if you can't start on time, and you won't give an ETA?" and getting a dumbfounded look in return, and them having my car for 4 hours, I decided I'm never going to them again. I'm much happier driving across the city to see Jackie.
    That's kind of funny, I thought they would have for sure changed that BS policy by now but I guess not. I don't know of any other dealership that just tells people to GFY after asking what time they should come back to pick up their vehicle, especially when service/work is a huge portion of a dealerships income. I remember them giving me a time to show up, but then not being able to tell me when it might be done. Unbelievable. I'm glad I left that place too. I also remember I would always ask them NOT to wash my car and they would anyway.

We used them for a test drive when we were looking for a Fit a few years ago, and the sales experience was just as bad (did not buy from them obviously). Started off with a ridiculous spiel about how they aren't on commission (they are very clearly on commission), and they went on and on about how they didn't care if we bought from them or not due to that fact. Went on a test drive with the biggest d-bag of a salesperson I have ever encountered, sitting spread-eagle in the middle of the rear seat texting the entire time and did not know a single answer to any question we asked. Told my GF to floor it in the dealership parking lot to "feel the power", we said no thanks as it was not at all a safe place to be doing anything like that. Out of courtesy we let them show us pricing, also I kind of wanted to see how bad it was, and their laughable "no haggle" price ended up being *by far* the worst price in the city & surrounding area, complete with a non-negotiable $499 admin fee. They said our trade-in was worthless as well, and to just donate it - we sold it the same day we listed it on the private market the following weekend. IMO it is a joke of a dealership, both service and sales were some of the worst experiences I've had.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-18-2019 at 01:28 PM.

@Misterman Just the front? Why not front and rear, or are the fronts just more susceptible to wear/degradation?
    Because the fronts are for managing fuel. Rears are for monitoring whether your cats work or not.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Because the fronts are for managing fuel. Rears are for monitoring whether your cats work or not.
    So of the rears give bad readings, what happens? It throws a code but the engine runs fine?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

So of the rears give bad readings, what happens? It throws a code but the engine runs fine?
    Yes you'll get an emissions code. A lot of cars the ECU will just disable them if they're in fresh air.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, I guess we talked generalities for long enough, how about specifics. For my 2010 Chev 2500 Silverado with the 6.0 Gas engine, I'm thinking AC and Serpentine belt, upstream O2 sensors, spark plugs, and wires (which it does have), but am thinking I'll skip the coils because of how expensive they are. Cheapest Iv'e found is $42 each, and there are eight, so after shipping I'm at nearly $400 just for those.
    Been squirting some grease into the zerks I can find, which is 6 up front so far. There's supposed to be 11 on the truck somewhere.

Comments or suggestions?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Well, I guess we talked generalities for long enough, how about specifics. For my 2010 Chev 2500 Silverado with the 6.0 Gas engine, I'm thinking AC and Serpentine belt, upstream O2 sensors, spark plugs, and wires (which it does have), but am thinking I'll skip the coils because of how expensive they are. Cheapest Iv'e found is $42 each, and there are eight, so after shipping I'm at nearly $400 just for those.
    Been squirting some grease into the zerks I can find, which is 6 up front so far. There's supposed to be 11 on the truck somewhere.

Comments or suggestions?
    Since it’s a GM make sure you clean out the rear quarters, and rockers really good so they don’t rust.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I suppose I wasn't too early changing out the spark plugs on my tow rig:
    Name:  20190625_122704_2.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  107.3 KB

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Lots of spots on the RH side plugs. Are you a cheap gas or fuel additive guy?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    Lots of spots on the RH side plugs. Are you a cheap gas or fuel additive guy?
    Cheap gas. Keep in mind I have no idea how long these have been in there. Probably too long.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Tune-up may be useless money-grab by unscrupulous mechanics - cbc news: https://driving.ca/column/troublesho...need-a-tune-up

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Tune-up may be useless money-grab by unscrupulous mechanics - cbc news: https://driving.ca/column/troublesho...need-a-tune-up
    Well, my headlight fluid was a little low this week.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I always thought people who meant tune-up, just really meant to take the car into the shop to get checked to ensure it is up with its routine maintenance and fix whatever is necessary based on inspection of qualified/honest mechanic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2