Quantcast
What's a "tune-up" these days? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's a "tune-up" these days?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default What's a "tune-up" these days?

I'm a moderately mechanical guy, but this baffles me. I often hear people say that they got a "tune-up" done on thier car, and I can't figure out what that means these days.

I can understand back in the 60s when you'd need to adjust the carburetor and maybe even the points. But today, what's adjustable?

Somewhat related question, but on a vehicle out of warranty, what periodic maintenance would you do "just because" if the vehicle wasn't showing any symptoms or issues?

Aside from fluids, what is there? Spark plugs? Ignition wires? I was thinking my truck could use some love before the summer towing season, but is any of that worthwhile?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm a moderately mechanical guy, but this baffles me. I often hear people say that they got a "tune-up" done on thier car, and I can't figure out what that means these days.

I can understand back in the 60s when you'd need to adjust the carburetor and maybe even the points. But today, what's adjustable?

Somewhat related question, but on a vehicle out of warranty, what periodic maintenance would you do "just because" if the vehicle wasn't showing any symptoms or issues?

Aside from fluids, what is there? Spark plugs? Ignition wires? I was thinking my truck could use some love before the summer towing season, but is any of that worthwhile?
    Spark plugs
    Coils(wires if your vehicle still has them), BMW's are especially bad for coils degrading. Will give misfire codes and rough running, but coils will still check out fine. Swap the coils and suddenly it runs like a dream again.
    Dated O2 sensors can hurt fuel mileage, so doesn't hurt to preemptively replace the front ones
    Air filter
    Coolant and brake fluid are 2 things that get overlooked and end up being lifetime items in a lot of cars. It's nice to change those out every 2 years.
    Direct injection vehicles can suffer from carbon buildup in the intake manifold/head. Walnut blasting is good maintenance to clean that out and keep it running smooth.
    Lubricating door hinges and sunroof slides will keep them squeak free and operating smooth.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I suppose grease/lube joints, clean your calipers...Probably change engine air and cabin filters...

Fluids are the only other thing that come to mind. Maybe when people say they got a "tune-up", they're just referring to scheduled maintenance?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Yea spark plugs and air filter on the most modern cars with coil packs (no ignition wires as such anymore). As mentioned above, tune up means the entire vehicle now.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What about replacing belts?

Replacing coolant and brake fluid every two years seems excessive, but I can see the value every 5 or so.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Every owners manual has a section with mileage and what needs to be checked, changed, flushed or inspected. (belts, brake fluid, coolant, oil, filters etc.) Follow the manufacturers recommendations and this should be all that is required for regular or scheduled maintenance. Anything beyond this for regular maintenance is typically unnecessary regardless of what the dealer, mechanic or lube place tries to tell you.

Back to the original inquiry, any of the scheduled maintenance required could be considered a "tune up" even though there is no actual tuning occurring anymore. (Outside of the aftermarket)
    I like neat cars.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Every owners manual has a section with mileage and what needs to be checked, changed, flushed or inspected. (belts, brake fluid, coolant, oil, filters etc.) Follow the manufacturers recommendations and this should be all that is required for regular or scheduled maintenance. Anything beyond this for regular maintenance is typically unnecessary regardless of what the dealer, mechanic or lube place tries to tell you.
    This is a small example, but for eg. the older (2000s) MBs used to have 'lifetime' sealed transmissions that never required servicing, according to the OEM anyway ..... you can imagine how well that worked out in real life ... and dealers were starting to recommend tranny fluid changes every 100,000km (or was it miles?).

But yes, generally the OEM rules are the ones to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This is a small example, but for eg. the older (2000s) MBs used to have 'lifetime' sealed transmissions that never required servicing, according to the OEM anyway ..... you can imagine how well that worked out in real life ... and dealers were starting to recommend tranny fluid changes every 100,000km (or was it miles?).

But yes, generally the OEM rules are the ones to follow.
    Personally I don't like the way these German manufacturers are stretching oil changes to 20,000km or once a year. If I'm stretching oil that long, I'd be doing oil analysis at 10,000km to see how it's holding up. People will say "The maker knows best and they have to honor the warranty if you follow their service schedule". But they don't make any money on your car lasting past warranty, and I am more than positive they engineer vehicles nowadays specifically to last warranty length and not much longer. One thing you'll never hear from anybody that drove a vehicle over a million miles, is that they stretched out oil change intervals.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

A like to give my stuff a nice Italian tuneup every once in a while.

But an oil change, plugs, filters, regular fluid changes are mostly what I consider a tune up.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    A like to give my stuff a nice Italian tuneup every once in a while.
    All my vehicles get those regularly.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Personally I don't like the way these German manufacturers are stretching oil changes to 20,000km or once a year.
    Thats because the oil capacity is huge compared to the size of the engine. A 2 litre motor has 5 to 6 litres of oil. My 460 holds the same amount.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Thats because the oil capacity is huge compared to the size of the engine. A 2 litre motor has 5 to 6 litres of oil. My 460 holds the same amount.
    Both my vehicles take ~9L of oil. Oil changes are a rough time expense wise.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My odyssey is basically one oil change a year on the Honda full synthetic 0w20. We go by the IOLM, but I think the reccomended mileage interval is 10,000 km.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I couldn't even make it through the fluff-list last time I looked

I called Audi for service because I couldn't find my OBD11 to turn off the stupid maintenance minder... the only thing i got out of it was they were going to do an oil change and swap out my cabin filter for 950$

Worst part was I didn't have time to screw around and I was willing to just do it, so I asked them "when do you have an opening and what kind of loaner car do you have"

Audi: In about 6 weeks, and we don't do loaner cars

Jiffy Lube it is...
    Wow, that's pathetic. Our Lexus we would get loaner vehicle every single time for just basic service. And services weren't even that expensive. The Benz I bought the prepaid service package. It seemed like a good value.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

@Misterman
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Dated O2 sensors can hurt fuel mileage, so doesn't hurt to preemptively replace the front ones.
    Just the front? Why not front and rear, or are the fronts just more susceptible to wear/degradation?

The Ford dealer on 9th ave is advertising 20% off Tune Ups, I can only imagine how many other "problems" they find after they have your car.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I couldn't even make it through the fluff-list last time I looked

I called Audi for service because I couldn't find my OBD11 to turn off the stupid maintenance minder... the only thing i got out of it was they were going to do an oil change and swap out my cabin filter for 950$

Worst part was I didn't have time to screw around and I was willing to just do it, so I asked them "when do you have an opening and what kind of loaner car do you have"

Audi: In about 6 weeks, and we don't do loaner cars

Jiffy Lube it is...
    What Audi dealer?

My dad goes to Glenmore and gets a loner car every single time he takes his car in for service, and he was just there last week for a recall, he had his pick between a S5 and SQ5. He's got loners from them at least a half dozen times now, all "S" cars too.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The Ford dealer on 9th ave is advertising 20% off Tune Ups, I can only imagine how many other "problems" they find after they have your car.

- - - Updated - - -

What Audi dealer?

My dad goes to Glenmore and gets a loner car every single time he takes his car in for service, and he was just there last week for a recall, he had his pick between a S5 and SQ5. He's got loners from them at least a half dozen times now, all "S" cars too.
    Nah, just buy a 'pre packaged' service deal and youll be ok! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

- - - Updated - - -

What Audi dealer?

i think he's in Van.

Both Glenmore and Royal Oak do loaners here, but sometimes you have to book further out at Royal Oak if you want a loaner. Glenmore and also their satellite service location are a lot easier to get an appt including a loaner from my experience

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

When I used to take either my highlander or kia to a dealership for their service I used to get a line item on the statement saying "tighten propeller shaft" which i presume refers to something on a 4wd but I remember seeing it on my FWD service statement too, what is this and since its never found on a quick lube service should I be getting it done?

I also dont understand the wide variety of pricing on a dealership service versus a mr lube service for pretty much the same services. I guess quality is probably better at a dealership but for example at toyota near mcleod you can drop off at 7am and their pick up time is 5pm WTF man im just getting an oil change.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast