Quantcast
Underground irrigation/sprinklers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Underground irrigation/sprinklers

Default Underground irrigation/sprinklers

Looking to do the landscaping in my yard this spring/summer. For those that have it, are underground sprinklers worth it? Is there a lot of maintenance to do (eg. winterizing)?

Thanks
    Last edited by nagooro; 04-02-2019 at 04:16 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

"Worth it" is subjective, but if you would be moving around hoses and sprinklers above ground multiple times a week all summer then yeah probably. If you are more zen about it and water once a month or so, then no.

Garantee you use more water with them though, because watering will be so easy you'll do it more.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V167

Yes worth it. A must have IMO, especially if you are in the midst of landscaping.

It makes life easier when it comes to lawn maintenance. As for the maintenance of the system all that needs to be done is having the lines blown out in the winter which costs about $75. Start up in the spring you can do yourself.

My Ride
    ute

For whatever reason irrigation systems are cheap to maintain. Parts and labor seems really reasonable.

Thanks for the replies. Does the irrigation system take up one of the hose bibs outside? (thus, can't use it for anything else)
    Last edited by nagooro; 04-02-2019 at 04:18 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If you have a large yard, then it starts to make more sense to automate. You can get a Y-adapter for any permanent connection outside, but from what I have seen, the better systems dial in direct to your water main in your basement - bypass any house water filters and softeners.

We live in the city and our yard is small enough that one sprinkler each (front and back) covers 99% of the grass. Its not even a 2 min job to setup every time as I know exactly how to set the sprinkler up. You can get water timers as well that shut off the hose after X minutes.

I did underground install myself and love having it. I however don't use our drip irrigation very much. Grass is worth it though.

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    Looking to do the landscaping in my yard this spring/summer. For those that have it, are underground sprinklers worth it? Is there a lot of maintenance to do (eg. winterizing)?

Also looking for reputable companies to get a quote from.

Thanks
    I don't think it's worth it to have a contractor install it. But For the 350$ in materials, and 40$ for a one day rental of a trenching tool, I felt it was worth it to do it myself. I should've shopped around for a cheaper plumber, because it was 2000$ to run the dedicated water supply for the sprinkler system.

It's definitely a nice hassle free way to water the lawn. You can just put it on a timer and it does it's thing. Maintenance is no big deal, air blow it at end of season.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I have had underground sprinklers for 14 years now. Definitely would recommend it. I have zero regrets. I have only had to replace a few heads over the years and the main controller died after ~8 years.

And I pay ~$100 to blow out a 6 zone system each fall and that is it. Spring start up is as simple as turning on the water and turning the system on.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’d like to install one this year just because I can’t be bothered to water manually and as such my lawn is terrible.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Grimace

I had looked last year at doing irrigation until I found this:
    http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Page...onnection.aspx
    Seasonal Irrigation Note:

As per the Water Utility Bylaw section 39.3e: "A test must be performed at the time the system is turned on at the beginning of each irrigation season."
    Has anyone run into issues with it?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I've never heard of any with a residential system having to do a test. How the fuck would the city even know you have one? You don't need a permit for it.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I am in Edmonton so it may not be the same, but I have some sort of valve that had to be installed to only allow water to flow one direction to the sprinkler system. It was a long time ago, but I think they said it was to ensure when the lines are blown out in the fall that nothing goes back into my drinking water. It was inspected by the city as part of the permit process but they never mentioned having to do anything on a yearly basis and I have never done anything. And 14 years later I also don't want to find out. lol

You do need a permit for it.....Older houses didn't require a permit though and don't require updating to add a back flow valve. I run a back flow and have it tested annually at $85 a year. I save the money and blow out my own system.

We're likely going to move forward with having one installed prior to landscaping the yard. We were quoted about $1800 for 3 zones (2 back/1 front). I have a feeling ill be too lazy to water the lawn manually. He did mention the permit thing as well. I believe its called a double check valve. Don't quote me, but I think once you get it checked by the city one year, they continue to hassle you every year after that and charge around $75 each time to check it.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

We've got a 10 zone system (I'm in Houston - different climate), and I've found it really easy to maintain. There are automation systems now I would have a look at. Rachio makes a good one. It will adjust watering based on weather patterns and can be managed from your phone.

Just got one quotation today. The company told me to estimate about $1000 per zone, and we’ll need about 6 zones by my estimation. Seems a bit steep imo....

Quote Originally Posted by VTEXTC View Post
    Just got one quotation today. The company told me to estimate about $1000 per zone, and we’ll need about 6 zones by my estimation. Seems a bit steep imo....
    Yikes, $1K per zone seems steep. We're likely going with the company that built our fence and deck last year. They quoted around ~$600 per zone. As Skibum mentioned above, the controller will be fully automated and can be controlled via your phone and waters based on weather patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    Yikes, $1K per zone seems steep. We're likely going with the company that built our fence and deck last year. They quoted around ~$600 per zone. As Skibum mentioned above, the controller will be fully automated and can be controlled via your phone and waters based on weather patterns.
    Obviously still in the midst of shopping around. Might I impose on you to share the details of your contractor, either here or by PM? Thank-you!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast