Quantcast
$5000 Federal EV rebate: Budget 2019 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: $5000 Federal EV rebate: Budget 2019

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As I mentioned before, they're just trying to find new ways to subsidize the Big 3 in Onterrible.
    These are the only EV subsidized:

Base Bolt: $44,600
    eGolf with tech/asst: $44,200
    Base Leaf: $40,680

And I think that's it.

Kona/Niro both starts at $46K.

What's interesting is that up to $55K can be deductible if you write off an EV for business. So tax saving there could be way more than the $5K for consumers.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    These are the only EV subsidized:

Base Bolt: $44,600
    eGolf with tech/asst: $44,200
    Base Leaf: $40,680

And I think that's it.

Kona/Niro both starts at $46K.

What's interesting is that up to $55K can be deductible if you write off an EV for business. So tax saving there could be way more than the $5K for consumers.
    Expect to see a Fiat 500e and Focus electric come in at under $45k. The Liberals don't do anything Lobbyists haven't asked for.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I don't understand how this is remotely enough C02 to matter.... all plants eventually die and rot, that is part of the natural life cycle
    Most plants don't die in an anaerobic environment (e.g., the bottom of a reservoir), which creates methane, which is the main issue (did you read the article...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    It isn't like you go to a lake made by a dam up and see methane bubbling to the surface en-mass... I call bull shit on this article
    You're right, its not like it's boiling the surface. But it's 100% bubbling to the surface. Easier to see when the lake is frozen (see Abraham lake, upper and lower Kananaskis, etc etc. This is not uncommon).
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Back to EV. I'd probably look at one for my wife who is driving ~200-250 km a day, but when the range is right around that number, not sure we'd risk hwy 2 in winter on the hope and a prayer you're making it
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 03-20-2019 at 07:07 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You’re not going to come close in winter. You’re looking at a 25-30% range loss from running heat. 50% on a bad day.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    You’re not going to come close in winter. You’re looking at a 25-30% range loss from running heat. 50% on a bad day.
    brutal. good to know.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

And it's a bigger problem "funning out of fuel" with an EV than an ICE. I don't mine pushing kms to empty display past zero in an ICE vehicle, but probably wouldn't in an EV.

My wife has been jealous of her buddy's Tesla, so she's looking to get some of those green feelings with her next car. She's talking about a hybrid now. Probably pretty sensible for her commuting.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    brutal. good to know.
    This is why preheating is a thing with EV/PHEVs. So you preheat your car while on the plug so battery doesn't have to work as hard.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

This is why preheating is a thing with EV/PHEVs. So you preheat your car while on the plug so battery doesn't have to work as hard.
    It would be pretty cool to own an EV where you can set it to preheat well before you head out and it's only using plug-in power. Always a warm cabin and potentially no snow/ice to scrape off windows!
    I'd totally rock one for the winter for that capability assuming my daily commute isn't too far.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

That pre heat helps but it’s the heater to keep the car warm that drains power like a motherfucker. Try turning off HVAC on a cold day and see how quickly it gets cold in your car.

Early Tesla Model S didn’t even have a strong enough heater. My first drive of one was a -10C day. 30 mins later still fucking shivering.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

lol. Hmm but this idea of the pre-heat is interesting to me enough that it makes me want to buy a Model 3.

I really hope they're not sticking to the whole $45k limit thing, because a $5k incentive for Tesla may be enough for me to pull the trigger.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

That's fine for parking at home, at her office..not so much

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    lol. Hmm but this idea of the pre-heat is interesting to me enough that it makes me want to buy a Model 3.

I really hope they're not sticking to the whole $45k limit thing, because a $5k incentive for Tesla may be enough for me to pull the trigger.
    Wait a couple more year and see if Tesla will survive and see how Model 3 lasts into year 4.

Model 3 and Y doesn't have dedicated heater for battery so they run the rear drive unit to warm the coolant/battery. No idea what that will do to longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    That's fine for parking at home, at her office..not so much
    Pre-heating without plugging in will depends on how much juice you have left in the car. You can still do it but it will come at cost of range.

So if you buy a 200km eGolf, and have a 100km daily round trip, you can pretty much kiss preheating off plug goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Expect to see a Fiat 500e and Focus electric come in at under $45k. The Liberals don't do anything Lobbyists haven't asked for.
    Are these even available in Canada? I have only see used 500e's and I thought Fcous Electric is no more.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-20-2019 at 09:49 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Model 3 and Y doesn't have dedicated heater for battery so they run the rear drive unit to warm the coolant/battery. No idea what that will do to longevity.
    A decent amount of complaints about it for Canadians. When the battery is cold it takes about an hour of highway driving to get up to temperatures, meaning it'll never get up to temperature in a typical commute. When it's cold, the driving experience completely changes, as there's no or very little regen. Efficiency also drops due to a lack of regen. When you hit a supercharger, it takes a long time to charge as well, charging at below level 2 speeds till it gets the temperatures up by holding car down with brake and running the motor.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Kona is $45,599 base msrp. I bet we see a $600 price drop. At $40k, according to my calculations, the Kona would fully pay the extra $20k vs the base non-electric Kona in 6 years for me.

And I would assume with it being electric, it would easily last 10 years. I would at most pay about $2 in electricity per day on my round trip work commute. And since I do plan on being back in the city at some point, theoretically the batteries can go longer. Tesla's batteries are supposed to be good until minimum 500k miles, and the highest mileage tesla P85 has 80% range at 420k miles. So even then it could be kept as a beater car.

This assumes average gas prices of $1.10/L, which I think is lowballing it. Payback would be even quicker if gas prices went up.

Interesting. Still a lot of cash upfront, but if 0% financing was available, I think it could make sense. Plus the convenience of not going to gas stations (I'm there every couple days now, drives me nuts).

Edit-
    My numbers were off, I was using the 40mpg a new civic/my current civic gets (in nice warm summer weather with no idling to heat up).

If I use the 32mpg of the fwd kona, it's only 4.5 years. That means in 9 years, the electric Kona would completely pay for itself over the gas model (assuming $1.10 gas prices, which a decade from now will more than likely be higher even simply due to carbon tax).
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 03-20-2019 at 10:46 AM.

My Ride

What would be cool is having a small gas generator to alleviate these battery issues in cold weather instead of full EV.
    Like a little 3000 W or less quiet generator that can be auto started and power your auxiliaries and heat. The thing doesn't need to be filled with gas for the car to operate, but just something extra for the cold months.

It would be a hybrid, except 95%+ of the power comes from electric.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Name:  Dont+get+this+one+_4b3b9a69fa5401bd4af7bfb146668ddf.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  73.1 KB
    It would take a long time to charge fully.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    What would be cool is having a small gas generator to alleviate these battery issues in cold weather instead of full EV.
    Like a little 3000 W or less quiet generator that can be auto started and power your auxiliaries and heat. The thing doesn't need to be filled with gas for the car to operate, but just something extra for the cold months.

It would be a hybrid, except 95%+ of the power comes from electric.
    You literally described the Chevy Volt and BMW i3 w/Range Extender. Their engines are not connected to the drivetrain at all.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

The Volt has always made the most sense to me as far as plug-in hybrids go, which of course means they're killing it off.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    The Volt has always made the most sense to me as far as plug-in hybrids go, which of course means they're killing it off.
    Honda Clarity, if you can stand the look, is a better PHEV than Volt.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Honda Clarity, if you can stand the look
    Sadly, I cannot. That thing is ghastly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast