Quantcast
Alberta 2019 Provincial Election - Page 17 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 17 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta 2019 Provincial Election

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m not sure I have ever heard a more obtuse argument than this whole “if your kids don’t want to tell you, then maybe there is a reason”.

Kids are fucking idiots. Their brains don’t work right. But yea let’s let them make the call, great idea.

As if that argument would be defendable in literally any other situation.

But yes let’s assume parents are guilty of being bigots by default.
    Based on all your posts here, I feel you've had a very sheltered and privileged life. A lot of these kids have it really, really rough. They're one of the highest risk groups for suicide and self harm. GSA's allow a support network that a lot of them don't have access to any other way. If they know they can be outed to their dirtbag, bigoted parents, they'll stay away from them.

This isn't a "slippery slope" situation, this is a very specifically targeted bill to protect some of the most vulnerable kids out there.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    Based on all your posts here, I feel you've had a very sheltered and privileged life. A lot of these kids have it really, really rough. They're one of the highest risk groups for suicide and self harm. GSA's allow a support network that a lot of them don't have access to any other way. If they know they can be outed to their dirtbag, bigoted parents, they'll stay away from them.

This isn't a "slippery slope" situation, this is a very specifically targeted bill to protect some of the most vulnerable kids out there.
    It's also an egregious infringement on the parental rights of non-dirtbag parents (and the dirtbag parental rights as well, for that matter).

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Why is the assumption being made that GSAs have the best interest of the child at heart and not the parents? I would argue that due to the high rates of mental health issues and suicide in this group they need the support from family.

Parents have put their trust in other institutions which have let us down like Boy Scouts, and various sports organizations. Even the church in a lot of cases.

Is there an age range where these GSAs exist? Does it start in junior high?

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    I would argue that due to the high rates of mental health issues and suicide in this group they need the support from family.
    And when the cause of a lot of mental health issues and suicide in the group is emotional abuse and/or being ostracized by their family because of their sexual orientation?

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    It's also an egregious infringement on the parental rights of non-dirtbag parents (and the dirtbag parental rights as well, for that matter).
    I'm truly sorry your being so marginalized.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

A lot of bs what if’s and personal attacks on my upbringing saying I can’t comment a topic.

Sounds like a solid basis for legislation out of left field.

Everyone experiences shitty situations, I am just not buying that keeping club memberships secret by penalty of law is somehow single handedly keeping kids out of the deep end.

Sounds like a bunch of “if it only helps one child” flawed reasoning to me, with no regard for other unintended consequences.

Oh, and even better, if you even question the law. You are a bigot. Makes sense.
    Last edited by killramos; 03-28-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    They should have never been taken off school property without their parents consent, regardless of being part of the GSA. I won't argue the inappropriateness of it, however IMO it just means the GSA's need ground rules and oversight, and has nothing to do with parent knowledge of the GSA members.
    The fact there is no ground rules and oversight is exactly why parents should be notified!! Jesus Christ

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

it's in some elementary schools for sure. Not sure if starting these club is led by adult volunteers or student interest. Probably both.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Great, so lets steal the parental rights of the 99% of parents that don't fit the bill of who the government is trying to protect these kids from in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    And when the cause of a lot of mental health issues and suicide in the group is emotional abuse and/or being ostracized by their family because of their sexual orientation?

And when the cause of a lot of mental health issues and suicide in the group is emotional abuse and/or being ostracized by their classmates because of their sexual orientation?

Just give you a little insight in to how asinine what you just said is, being that it can be applied to the other side of the argument as well. And applied a lot more correctly for that matter.

My Ride
    ute

Why is the assumption being made that GSAs have the best interest of the child at heart and not the parents? I would argue that due to the high rates of mental health issues and suicide in this group they need the support from family.

Parents have put their trust in other institutions which have let us down like Boy Scouts, and various sports organizations. Even the church in a lot of cases.

support of the family is best. Unfortunately it is pretty common fro families to react negatively and abusively towards their kids

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    They should have never been taken off school property without their parents consent, regardless of being part of the GSA. I won't argue the inappropriateness of it, however IMO it just means the GSA's need ground rules and oversight, and has nothing to do with parent knowledge of the GSA members.
    This is a major freaking problem right now yet people are pretending like everything is perfect. There are MASSIVE safety concerns.

Imagine a teacher taking your kid into their personal residence. Ask yourself at what point would that be ok? And now we have some random speaker at a kids GSA taking the most vulnerable kids into his personal residence?? For what purpose.. well the school says it's related to the gsa so now we will never know.

Throw in the fact that speaker had no kids in that school and we still have people blindly supporting the gsas?? The items detailed in that lawsuit are absolutely mind blowing.

WHERE IS THE COMMON SENSE?

Oh that's right... the gsa issue is about scoring political points. If the kids safety was a real concern we would have proper rules in place to protect the kids.

My Ride
    ute

I'm truly sorry your being so marginalized.
    A plan to infringe-upon my parental rights, and effectively hand them to state-run bureaucrats is going to get a big fuck you from me. I question the quality of a parent that doesn't find this intolerable.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    And when the cause of a lot of mental health issues and suicide in the group is emotional abuse and/or being ostracized by their classmates because of their sexual orientation?

Just give you a little insight in to how asinine what you just said is, being that it can be applied to the other side of the argument as well. And applied a lot more correctly for that matter.
    You don't really understand what a Gay-Straight Alliance is, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    You don't really understand what a Gay-Straight Alliance is, do you?
    Got painted into a corner again and didn't want to continue dialogue hey? The usual

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    ... .
    Hey, thanks for that article. I didn't realize that had happened and I totally agree kids shouldn't be leaving the school grounds without parents knowledge and consent. That's unacceptable to me, and probably most parents. Not sure that's an issue with GSAs in general or just a few people at a small number of schools.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Got painted into a corner again and didn't want to continue dialogue hey? The usual
    A GSA is meant to be supportive. An "Alliance." It's a group to protect you from the abuse from classmates and other people in your lives. What you describe is exactly why a GSA exists. So what more dialogue do you need? What's your point?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Hey, thanks for that article. I didn't realize that had happened and I totally agree kids shouldn't be leaving the school grounds without parents knowledge and consent. That's unacceptable to me, and probably most parents. Not sure that's an issue with GSAs in general or just a few people at a small number of schools.
    I think it’s law of unintended consequences coming in and the schools hands being tied by the legislation.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    or student interest. Probably both.
    Lol wut? Grade 6 is 11-12 year olds barely out of the "icky girl" stage.

Yea, grade 7 up I get that, but no kid is questioning their sexuality in grade 5 without some serious indoctrination on their parents part

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Yea, grade 7 up I get that, but no kid is questioning their sexuality in grade 5 without some serious indoctrination on their parents part
    I totally disagree.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

As a parent I understand debating the merits of GSA. I really do see both sides of the argument. For the most part.

But, my question is, do people truly believe that he is doing this strictly to "protect parents rights" or do you believe that this is just another example of him going out of his way to target a certain demographic of people that, he has shown in the past, he isn't too fond of?
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

Page 17 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast