Quantcast
Alberta 2019 Provincial Election - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta 2019 Provincial Election

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You would think in this day and age that we could just vote from our smartphones with a thumb print scan, instead of waiting in line at a propaganda warehouse. AKA School
    I wonder how many Huawei phones would automatically register your vote for Jinping?

Quote Originally Posted by phreezee View Post
    LOL, Jack Layton's son wants to sue Alberta. Same old NDP: https://calgarysun.com/opinion/colum...ck-on-oilpatch
    TIL O&G companies are solely "Alberta"

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    You would think in this day and age that we could just vote from our smartphones with a thumb print scan, instead of waiting in line at a propaganda warehouse. AKA School
    Given how Canadians are so lax/inept on cyber security, this is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Euro_Trash View Post
    It may have been asked, but what’s the rule on signage for parties? One of them dropped a giant sign in the green space in front of our house and it’s not a party I support.
    http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages...ion-signs.aspx

And also:

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages...c/Signage.aspx

My Ride
    Lariat

Question for you on this GSA stuff, is the ndp hope to alienate and make these kids feel even more alone by not telling parents? If my son joined the school football team I would want to know so we could support him, same goes for if a gsa was joined.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 11:42 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    Question for you on this GSA stuff, is the ndp hope to alienate and make these kids feel even more alone by not telling parents? If my son joined the school football team I would want to know so we could support him, same goes for if a gsa was joined.
    They aren’t alone. They have the government to take care of them.

Who needs parents anyways.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    the kids have the so called facilitators to take them out of class and to take them to their homes with zero over sight. Theyll hardly be alone.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Was talking about this with my wife last night. Kids need patently permission slips to do damn near anything in schools. Chess club, forms.

This policy of not only not requiring forms, but parents not even being informed is standout from pretty well every school board policy.

It’s a bizarre situation, and good intentions are far from a good enough reason for this bs.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    Great, so instead of letting these kids lay low and have a support network, we're going to:

1. Out them to their parents.
    2. Let them be abused.
    3. Wait for CFS to get involved.
    4. Put them into foster care.
    5. Possibly repeat.
    It comes down to how of a issue is this that warrants a support network..? Or is it a fear narrative created under the umbrella of 'protecting the children'..?

This is not to say such things don't happen.

1. Is it really big issue that there needs to be a support network..? What are the numbers?
    2. What percentage of children are abused once parents find out that they are homosexual...?
    3. How many cases by the CPS are involved in this?
    4. How many children in foster care are a result of their sexuality and parents abusing them..?

My Ride
    14 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Was talking about this with my wife last night. Kids need patently permission slips to do damn near anything in schools. Chess club, forms.

This policy of not only not requiring forms, but parents not even being informed is standout from pretty well every school board policy.

It’s a bizarre situation, and good intentions are far from a good enough reason for this bs.
    We had to sign a permission slip because the Kid's gym class was going to play tennis and they "might bump into each other". I am guessing they have never seen what goes on at recess?
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

Does anyone have an updated link to a really good summary of the candidates? I took a voting compass test and it was 100% useless (had me at 50-60% supporting every single party).

Or who is the most pro oil & gas that actually has a chance of winning? That's probably going to be who gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by mikestypes View Post
    We had to sign a permission slip because the Kid's gym class was going to play tennis and they "might bump into each other". I am guessing they have never seen what goes on at recess?
    It's important to remember that permission slips have nothing to do with the children. They are there to protect the school from the parents.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Does anyone have an updated link to a really good summary of the candidates? I took a voting compass test and it was 100% useless (had me at 50-60% supporting every single party).

Or who is the most pro oil & gas that actually has a chance of winning? That's probably going to be who gets my vote.
    UCP if oil and gas is the only thing that matters.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post

I believe that both the UCP and the NDP agree that GSA participation would not require mandatory notification by the school to the parents. However, the NDP created a situation where notification by the school was not permitted. It was specifically designed to bait the stupid UCP candidates. It worked.

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic piece by Len Thom. (I otherwise I have no idea who he is.)

I believe in Gay Straight Alliances. The proportion of LGBTQ teens at risk is very high, including unacceptable levels of risk of self harm and suicide. GSAs provide peer support and have been shown to significantly mitigate these risks.

Laurie Blakeman was the political champion of the GSA issue. Her private members bill (Bill 202) and the support it garnered forced the PC government to enact Bill 10, which had all party support in the Legislature. That bill provided for GSAs in any school where students wanted one and provided that joining a GSA did not require parental consent or even notification. In practice parental notification was rare.

The NDP government enacted Bill 24, which tweaked GSAs by essentially forbidding parental notification. It also gave greater enforcement powers to the Education Minister to ensure that all schools provide a GSA where there was a request to have one.

The UCP have had a concern that forbidding parental notification is not appropriate in certain circumstances, especially where joining a GSA puts a child at risk of harm. While a GSA putting a child at risk of harm is possible, it is going to be extremely rare.

The concept of children at risk is also a child welfare issue and that is where notification is more complex. School officials are required to notify Childrens Services when they know of a child at risk of material neglect or abuse (the legal term is "in need of services"). Nothing in Bill 10 or Bill 24 changed that.

Under the Bill 10 regime, where participation in a GSA puts a child at risk a school official would be expected to notify the parents or guardians and required to report the matter to Childrens Services. A Childrens Services worker would investigate and that investigation would involve the guardians to see if the guardians understand their duty to protect the child from the risk.

Under the Bill 24 regime, where participation in a GSA puts a child at risk the school official would be prohibited from notifying the parents or guardians, but would still have to call Children Services. The Childrens Services worker would likewise have to investigate to see if the guardians are fulfilling their duty to protect. How the worker could do that without asking the parents if they knew their child was in a GSA is a really good question. Asking the question is tantamount to parental notification.

It is reasonable for parents to assert that if a GSA puts their child at risk, and they have a legal duty to protect their child from risk, they should be made aware of the risk.

In my opinion, parental notification should generally not happen. Circumstances where parental notification may be warranted are going to be extremely rare and they should be. The differences between the processes under Bill 10 and Bill 24 are minor. I am concerned about the level in which this has been politicized. The Bill 24 changes (which I am on the record as having supported) were not an assault on parental rights. Similarly the process under Bill 10, and the UCP desire to return to it, is not an undermining of GSAs or a desire to out "gay kids". Both processes are consistent with the duty of guardians to protect their children from the risk of harm. It is arguable that Bill 10 did this better as the parents would be notified about the risk sooner.

The time when GSAs should be a political issue has passed. Bill 10 reflected a rare and valuable political consensus. The NDP brought in Bill 24 as a political wedge issue. They should have respected the political consensus and left things as they were. The UCP took the bait in opposing Bill 24 and doubled down by bringing the issue into the present election campaign. They should also have left well alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    UCP if oil and gas is the only thing that matters.
    Thanks - I will read up on them and make sure they aren't a complete disaster in all other areas.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I believe that both the UCP and the NDP agree that GSA participation would not require mandatory notification by the school to the parents. However, the NDP created a situation where notification by the school was not permitted. It was specifically designed to bait the stupid UCP candidates. It worked.
    It only works because their supporters (both side) won't drop the issue.

That's why we still have protests at abortion clinics in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Thanks - I will read up on them and make sure they aren't a complete disaster in all other areas.
    I think Kenney is a capable person just by how he got rid of Jean and all the red tories within 2 years.

There isn't much to know about. He is center right and trying to keep the crazy down from the far right. He is basically Harper.

People keep saying career politicians like it's a bad word but those are the people that can get shit done.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-27-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I think Kenney is a capable person just by how he got rid of Jean and all the red tories within 2 years.

There isn't much to know about. He is center right and trying to keep the crazy down from the far right. He is basically Harper.

People keep saying career politicians like it's a bad word but those are the people that can get shit done.
    I've only read a few summaries so far but UCP looks like they would do pretty much everything I want, for example turning off the taps to uncooperative provinces. I also was happy with Harper.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    It wasn't just bait. Bill 24 also forced any school (including religious schools) that receive public funding to allow and support GSA's. I suspect that's the bigger issue to the UCP.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Man how things have changed since I was in school.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Time for a beyond poll?

We were decently accurate for the Olympics iirc

Quote Originally Posted by 01RedDX View Post
    Well for example, if my child is thinking of becoming gay then the school must inform me in a timely manner.

Then I would make the decision on whether to pray it away, beat it out of them or put them into conversion therapy.
    OMG this was comedy gold

Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast