Quantcast
Best way to remove Plastidip from entire car - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Best way to remove Plastidip from entire car

Default Best way to remove Plastidip from entire car

So I bought a car last night, its a MKIV GTI VR6 24V. kind of an impulse buy, car is in great shape inside, and mechanically very sound. EX BC car so rust is almost non existent....however...the entire car is plastidipped, front to back top to bottom. I am told its quite scratched underneath as a PO keyed his own car to try and scam a new paint job (or so I am told), and was denied. The guy I bought it from was the one who sprayed it with dip, and it doesn't look to great. What would be my best way to remove it from the entire car, thought maybe pressure washer? I know it peels easy, but not sure about a whole car. Ive only done small jobs like removing it from wheels or a bumper.

My plan is to remove it all, and get a better look at the paint, might be able to clean it up quite a bit with some polish and sanding work. Car was cheap enough, but not cheap enough to re-paint Id like to restore it as best I can, always loved the MK4 GTI, and being a 24V is a big plus!

My Ride
    This and that.

I think there is some kind of a spray that you can get that is designed to remove this stuff. Not sure what it is called. Goo Gone might work too but I guess you'd need it in larger quantities. I would honestly just attack it panel by panel by applying some heat and going to town on it. There isn't going to be any quick and easy way per se.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

i always figured when i wanted to get it off my rims id just peel a tiny bit off and then hammer down with a pressure washer...... i think it depends on the thickness, if it's thick it would peel, if not it'll come off in chunks like my first attempt at doing some rims haha..

Let us know what you figure out though, interested.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

The 'black wet tire shine' stuff and WD40 makes it melt.. so go to town with that, wait 5 min, pressure wash to finish it off..?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The 'black wet tire shine' stuff and WD40 makes it melt.. so go to town with that, wait 5 min, pressure wash to finish it off..?
    hmm...that's a good idea, ill see how it goes. He said its about 3 coats, so pretty thin. I usually do wheels in 4-5 coats or more.

Well I needed to wash it last night, so I wanted to see how easy the dip would come off....now its a giant mess haha. I don't plan on driving it anytime soon, so that's a plus, but it will definitely need the Goo-Gone treatment, and a lot of water pressure and patience. ill throw some pics up when I start a build on it, but the one fender I got clean is certainly keyed, and has some kind of debris all over it (picks off with your finger).

This may be a lot more work than I first thought, but figured it was worth saving, or at least trying my hand at it.

Careful on goo gone and other stuff around the plastic trip pieces and the taillights. It'll melt or disfigure those.

My Ride
    V8s

What about one of those rubber eraser wheels that you put on a drill? They work great for taking glue/residue off, I'm positive it would take off the plastidip and whatever shit is underneath that you can get with your fingernail. Haven't used one on an entire car before, but used in small areas and they work like a charm.

edit:
    https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...el/A-p8570970e

Spent 4 hours last night peeling off everything I could by hand. I tried a panel with goo gone and it works pretty well, but makes a mess smearing the dip. Going to soak it tonight and hit it with the pressure washer. Makes me never want to see a can of this shit again..