Quantcast
How much of your money do you actually keep? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How much of your money do you actually keep?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 03:59 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would disagree with that 100%. Most people spend 100% of their income left over after paying basic living expenses, to service debt. If you have no debt it changes everything.
    Beyond isn’t most ppl tho. We have the beyond ballers and the next gen beyond ballers and the wannabe beyond ballers and the beyond peasants. I guess just gotta figure out what category you’re in lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

My situation is a bit different since I'm constantly traveling and don't have many (any?) fixed expenses. Depending on the trips I do I've been putting away 60-80% the last few years. I spend a lot on travel and food but that's about it. When you don't have a house you don't need "stuff" to fill the house.

Still hoping to achieve "Freedom 35" Q1 2020.

My Ride
    Silverado

My family is about 25% keep right now. Paying nearly $1000 a month in insurance and property tax, and having a kid isn't cheap. Happy with the path we're on, although at this time we are reliant on Calgary and Alberta stabilizing at some point

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Beyond isn’t most ppl tho. We have the beyond ballers and the next gen beyond ballers and the wannabe beyond ballers and the beyond peasants. I guess just gotta figure out what category you’re in lol
    Well of course I buy all my own Lambo's with duffle bags of straight cash. So no debt for me either. I just meant for the common folk.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    My situation is a bit different since I'm constantly traveling and don't have many (any?) fixed expenses. Depending on the trips I do I've been putting away 60-80% the last few years. I spend a lot on travel and food but that's about it. When you don't have a house you don't need "stuff" to fill the house.

Still hoping to achieve "Freedom 35" Q1 2020.
    So I'm in a position to retire early as well, not 35, but say 45 if I really wanted to...but I don't? Is it weird? I enjoy work and would be bored silly. I presume you would have another hobby to keep you occupied, but all my hobbies would drain my $$ fast haha. I hear that people who retire and stop doing anything quickly lose their mind and get Alzheimer and and shit.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

two kids and wife that stays at home... Who is keeping anything. losing 100%. haha

if and when wife goes back to work, the equation probably works out to keeping 60%. cause she makes more than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    two kids and wife that stays at home... Who is keeping anything. losing 100%. haha
    I don't even have a mortgage any longer and this is still the deal in our household. haha. When my wife heads back to work, we should be able to start putting money away again.

I'm at 25% not counting mortgage principle.

Not aggressively saving yet as my wife and I still like to have fun. But that will change in the coming years.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I'm at 25% not counting mortgage principle.

Not aggressively saving yet as my wife and I still like to have fun. But that will change in the coming years.
    DINK definitely helps cut down on expenditures.

Should always include mortgage principle. You're paying yourself and it increases your equity. Home equity is tied to the biggest chunk of people's net worth.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Crunched all the numbers and I'm keeping about 40%

Looking back, wife and I bought way more house than we needed to begin with but a DINK lifestyle affords that.

I listen to alot of Dave Ramsey so I think that the more sacrifices I can make right now, the more I'll reap in the future but it's a process to cut things and change lifestyle so I don't think I'm anything out of the ordinary.
    Last edited by rx7boi; 03-19-2019 at 09:20 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    So I'm in a position to retire early as well, not 35, but say 45 if I really wanted to...but I don't? Is it weird? I enjoy work and would be bored silly. I presume you would have another hobby to keep you occupied, but all my hobbies would drain my $$ fast haha. I hear that people who retire and stop doing anything quickly lose their mind and get Alzheimer and and shit.
    It's a good spot to be in when you know you are not working for the money.

Retirement is a death sentence if you are Type A personality.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    It's a good spot to be in when you know you are not working for the money.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Some people enjoy work or their work colleagues and that's fine. If you wake up excited to go to the office then there's no reason not to. I've never really enjoyed sitting behind a desk or working on a computer (thus occasionally spending time on Beyond) but maybe some people do.

I have a lot of activities and hobbies I would much rather learn and work on as well as possibly starting hobby businesses or doing enjoyable or charitable "work" that is not financially driven in any way. Weightlifting, cycling, hiking, camping, reading, learning Spanish, drawing, leatherwork, writing, blogging/vlogging, photography, investing, cooking, painting, etc. are all basically free given I already have the tools / equipment.

Other hobbies, like woodworking, brewing, skiing, snowboarding, golfing, travelling, surfing, etc. come with some expense but the daily cost of those activities is also more reasonable on a "per day" or "per project" basis when you have the time to do them regularly rather than only a few times a year.

I'm based in Spain now and life is culturally more simple and less money-driven so that's part of it as well. To each their own... it's not a competition.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Define keeping money ....

Most of it goes back into the business to expand it. This last year, other than vacations and day to day living I really haven’t put anything aside...

Granted retirement is already paid for I know I should be putting more just in case.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Some people enjoy work or their work colleagues and that's fine. If you wake up excited to go to the office then there's no reason not to. I've never really enjoyed sitting behind a desk or working on a computer (thus occasionally spending time on Beyond) but maybe some people do.

I have a lot of activities and hobbies I would much rather learn and work on as well as possibly starting hobby businesses or doing enjoyable or charitable "work" that is not financially driven in any way. Weightlifting, cycling, hiking, camping, reading, learning Spanish, drawing, leatherwork, writing, blogging/vlogging, photography, investing, cooking, painting, etc. are all basically free given I already have the tools / equipment.

Other hobbies, like woodworking, brewing, skiing, snowboarding, golfing, travelling, surfing, etc. come with some expense but the daily cost of those activities is also more reasonable on a "per day" or "per project" basis when you have the time to do them regularly rather than only a few times a year.

I'm based in Spain now and life is culturally more simple and less money-driven so that's part of it as well. To each their own... it's not a competition.
    I just saw this video on "retiring" early and think it sums things up well: https://youtu.be/8si7cqw9wm0

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Secured debt and unsecured debt. Don't sweat secured debt.

Debt free is nice but it doesn't really change anything day to day.
    I can't agree with that at all. The difference in mindset when it comes to financially turbulent situations (stock market plunges, job losses, expensive home repairs, etc.) is dramatic. The flexibility that comes with the FI of the FIRE mindset is worth enough to not even worry about RE anymore because work doesn't really feel like a burden.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Keep 80%, spend the rest on cars and vacation.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I just saw this video on "retiring" early and think it sums things up well: https://youtu.be/8si7cqw9wm0
    Video is on point but some of the samples probably have to be taken with some salt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast