Quantcast
When to start traveling with a baby/child? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: When to start traveling with a baby/child?

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not saying my rules are the right ones, but they work for our kids. You will figure it out.
    This is really key. Our strategy is really the exact opposite. After years of living in Europe and travelling back and forth, we immediately adjust our clocks and stay active and get into a new routine. We don't plan activities around naps, but the kids slept when they needed to (stroller, etc.) Works for us, and has led to the children being very adaptable and easy to travel with. We are always armed with snacks, toys, etc. to keep the kids happy though. Trick is being adaptable, taking a break when the kids need it and play things by ear....
    Last edited by CLiVE; 03-20-2019 at 09:39 AM.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

This thread is great.

We originally thought bringing a new born to Europe is a bit too ambitious so we were going to start with something like a Mexico All inclusive resort. Now we are thinking we should do the opposite, go on the more activities-heavy trip now, and save the resort style trip for when the kid is older and need more supervision/routine.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    When it’s old enough not to scream the entire flight

/non-parent comment
    /gravol.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Europe is one of the best choices because flights going there are red-eye. You will be taking off right at bed time.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    Europe is one of the best choices because flights going there are red-eye. You will be taking off right at bed time.
    Calgary - Tokyo direct was an easy one for the kids also.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

We took our kids to PV Mexico when my daughter was 3 and my son was 14 months. Had no problems at all.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    Calgary - Tokyo direct was an easy one for the kids also.
    We did last March. Kids loved Tokyo. My 4 year old still talks about going back.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    7 weeks. I'd say it's easier to vacation with a newborn than a toddler. Newborns just sleep most of the time.
    And shit, and piss, and feed off moms tit every 4 hours. Sounds like awesome fun

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Do you guys always bring a car seat with you when you travel, even to destinations where you won't be renting a car, but yo need to take a taxi to the hotel?

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Do you guys always bring a car seat with you when you travel, even to destinations where you won't be renting a car, but yo need to take a taxi to the hotel?
    Yep, we do. Another reason why newborns are easier. The infant car seat is usually much lighter and smaller than a full sized toddler one. Our infant one clips right into our travel stroller which makes is super useful to push around as one unit in the airport.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

One thing I am surprised that no one mentioned here is that sure your kids may not remember a trip when they are young, but you sure will. Would it be easier to take the trip without the kid? Sure, but I selfishly enjoy the experience of doing things with my kid so lots of times its really a memory for me despite the extra hurdles in the way.

I will agree with everyone here on plane travel though: do what ever it takes to keep them entertained and quiet. All typical rules go out the window on plane rides and you just do your best to shut them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Update time. We went for 10 days to Van Island with the little one along with the grandparents. It ended up being more stressful and exhausting more due to the grandparents than anything else. Little guy didn't make it much easier either with plenty of tantrums and he didn't even like the beach all that much (tried to eat sand and got it in his eyes). There were some enjoyable moments but for every hour of fun there was probably double the time being stressed out about something.

I've been traveling and backpacking thru lots of places before the baby and typically I'm out for a full 12 hours and just come back to the hotel/hostel to sleep so this baby travel thing was VERY different. We were out for maybe max 5 to 6 hrs a day and half that time was spent feeding or doing things to attend to the little guy. So it did feel like we didn't get nearly as much out of the trip as we wanted. I was told before that traveling with a kid is "twice the price, half the fun" and I'd say that's pretty accurate. We just didn't quite pay double since flight was free before 2 but we definitely did way less than expected.

We may take another trip next year without the grandparents and see how that goes but I'm looking forward to leaving the little guy with grandparents and doing a trip on our own in the future.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    Update time. We went for 10 days to Van Island with the little one along with the grandparents. It ended up being more stressful and exhausting more due to the grandparents than anything else. Little guy didn't make it much easier either with plenty of tantrums and he didn't even like the beach all that much (tried to eat sand and got it in his eyes). There were some enjoyable moments but for every hour of fun there was probably double the time being stressed out about something.

I've been traveling and backpacking thru lots of places before the baby and typically I'm out for a full 12 hours and just come back to the hotel/hostel to sleep so this baby travel thing was VERY different. We were out for maybe max 5 to 6 hrs a day and half that time was spent feeding or doing things to attend to the little guy. So it did feel like we didn't get nearly as much out of the trip as we wanted. I was told before that traveling with a kid is "twice the price, half the fun" and I'd say that's pretty accurate. We just didn't quite pay double since flight was free before 2 but we definitely did way less than expected.

We may take another trip next year without the grandparents and see how that goes but I'm looking forward to leaving the little guy with grandparents and doing a trip on our own in the future.
    You'll appreciate that trip a lot more, trust me!

Also on the kid front: best to forget about your pre-kid life/trips. That genie ain't never going back in the bottle.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

It sounds like your expectations were a little unrealistic... Nothing wrong with that, but travelling with kids is a game-changer like no other, and it's hard to really understand until you've experienced it.

The best thing to do is now recalibrate those expectations for the next time you're travelling with the kid(s) so you're better prepared (and not disappointed when you don't get to do everything you planned or wanted to). Plus, it's a good reminder to appreciate any travel you get to do as a couple.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

When grandparents start to be more of the problem than the child - thats a bad sign. Some grandparents end up being very controlling and inflexible.

For eg. my parents have always believed in clutter and knick kacks that break, at reach for a toddler.

No matter how much asking and pleading, they refuse to move any of their shit away temporarily (eg. living room glass objects).

My Ride
    rally pig

I agree with the others that you may have set your expectations a little high.

Yeah before, we used to be out for the whole day and just crash at the hotel/airbnb at the end of the day.
    But now we just work around our toddlers routine. ie try to do something for 2-3 hours, then she will take 40-50min nap in the car.

We have gone to Hawaii and Mexico with 0 issues, we are planning 2 more international trips before she turns 2.

And yes, depending on the people you are travelling with will also make a big difference. My parents are easy going and just go with whatever we do, in-laws however are pickier so we try to not do too much.

My Ride
    *The First*

You can travel with them to the ends of the earth, as long as you MAINTAIN A RIGID SCHEDULE THAT MATCHES THEIR ROUTINE AT HOME.
    It's a big adjustment from the freestyle traveling life without kids, but holy fuck, you get those little shit eaters on a God damned schedule for: eating, napping, sleeping & awaking and watch all your problems melt away.
    In no time, you'll notice how much easier things become and have the time to watch moron parents completely butcher the simplest opportunities for regimented schedules and mock them, from afar.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post

For eg. my parents have always believed in clutter and knick kacks that break, at reach for a toddler.

No matter how much asking and pleading, they refuse to move any of their shit away temporarily (eg. living room glass objects).
    Sounds like more of a "them" problem than a "you" problem.

This forum is something else. Guy asks about travelling with a baby/kid. All the parents blow rainbows and sunshine up his ass about how great and easy it is. Guy goes on trip and has the a-typical baby travelling experience. Everyone says he should "manage expectations better". Maybe he would've managed his expectations better if everyone hadn't lied to him in the first place. lol.

I always wonder if this is a malicious thing that parents do? They tell everyone how amazing it all is to dupe would be parents, because misery loves company. Or do they just flat out have terrible memory and forget all the downsides that come with the good times?

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This forum is something else. Guy asks about travelling with a baby/kid. All the parents blow rainbows and sunshine up his ass about how great and easy it is. Guy goes on trip and has the a-typical baby travelling experience. Everyone says he should "manage expectations better". Maybe he would've managed his expectations better if everyone hadn't lied to him in the first place. lol.

I always wonder if this is a malicious thing that parents do? They tell everyone how amazing it all is to dupe would be parents, because misery loves company. Or do they just flat out have terrible memory and forget all the downsides that come with the good times?
    Sleep deprivation is nasty.

My wife and I joke that baby cuteness is the world's most powerful survival mechanism (actually true biologically)...

Edit - I skimmed the earlier posts in the thread, and it doesn't seem like anyone was intentionally misleading the OP. The issues he described during his trip now seem to stem partly from the grand parents (no way for anyone here to advise on that), but otherwise seemed pretty normal. No shit you can't spend 12 hours a day "exploring" with a kid in tow. This should be clear to anyone with a kid, whether at home, or especially on vacation... Hence adjusting expectations.
    Last edited by you&me; 08-14-2019 at 07:03 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast