Quantcast
AirBnB Hosting - Tips, Tricks and Help - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: AirBnB Hosting - Tips, Tricks and Help

How many reviews did that place have? Was it a super host? Just curious if it was a complete blind-side or if you took a chance on a newer listing. I don't book anything that isn't either a SuperHost, or has 50+ perfect reviews.

If it was actually misrepresented you can file a claim with AirBnB. You usually have to do that during the stay or within 24hrs though for it to be taken seriously. Misrepresentations and/or lack of promised amenities are grounds for a refund. If it didn't even have the number of bedrooms advertised, you would absolutely have a claim.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/5...licy-for-homes
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-29-2019 at 02:28 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We should consider creating a new thread for AirBnB stays and update as we go along? Or too much work
    Do it up!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

might be looking to go this route for a rental soon... @dannie we should do brunch at monki and you can give us a run down of how its gone?

@ercchry absolutely! As much as i love Monki, they need a month to work out some kinks. Eden? Brunch on a sat or sun? DM me on Insta

My Ride
    Lease

To be honest, I didn't check lol. in 2017 (Summer), Saskatoon didn't have that many Airbnb's available to rent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    How many reviews did that place have? Was it a super host? Just curious if it was a complete blind-side or if you took a chance on a newer listing. I don't book anything that isn't either a SuperHost, or has 50+ perfect reviews.

If it was actually misrepresented you can file a claim with AirBnB. You usually have to do that during the stay or within 24hrs though for it to be taken seriously. Misrepresentations and/or lack of promised amenities are grounds for a refund. If it didn't even have the number of bedrooms advertised, you would absolutely have a claim.

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/5...licy-for-homes

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone looking to purchase more properties, work some form of licensing fees into your economics. City council will find a way to profit off you soon.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ings-1.5120806
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I love how the gov thinks this is the right move. It's such a typical stance when immediately, I see a loop hole. AirBnB does not make it mandatory that a host provide gov issued ID. Whats to stop me from just having a few accounts as a host? Nothing. Whats to stop me from having two units and my husband "hosting" two other? Absolutely nothing.

Nothing like stupidity first thing on a monday

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think you'd be smart to divide up your units between multiple accounts anyway just so one or two bad reviews don't sewer your whole fleet.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Exactly.

Basic common sense

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Anyone looking to purchase more properties, work some form of licensing fees into your economics. City council will find a way to profit off you soon.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ings-1.5120806
    It’s only targeting those who are running it as a business, I don’t see anything wrong with it
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Taxing and regulating businesses is a core function of government. However I just don't see how they'll accomplish their goals with this.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Taxing and regulating businesses is a core function of government. However I just don't see how they'll accomplish their goals with this.
    Easy. Make people register with the city to be an AirBnB host by buying a licence and supplying ownership information.

Hire people to monitor this process and the AirBnB website.

Making jobs!

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by dannie View Post
    I love how the gov thinks this is the right move. It's such a typical stance when immediately, I see a loop hole. AirBnB does not make it mandatory that a host provide gov issued ID. Whats to stop me from just having a few accounts as a host? Nothing. Whats to stop me from having two units and my husband "hosting" two other? Absolutely nothing.

Nothing like stupidity first thing on a monday
    This will be an unfavourable comment most likely but why is it not the right move? What about your situation makes you above the other businesses that have to apply for licenses and pay taxes? You’ve stated you’re in this to make more money and buying property directly for Airbnb use only
    Sig nuked by mod.

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    This will be an unfavourable comment most likely but why is it not the right move? What about your situation makes you above the other businesses that have to apply for licenses and pay taxes? You’ve stated you’re in this to make more money and buying property directly for Airbnb use only
    You mean like I do for my other 12 companies? Absolutely nothing.

What i've stated before is that we just got into this as a temporary move to determine if it's a good financial choice. Turns out after one month, it is. That's not to say that I would ever turn down a request for long term tenants like i've got in my other revenue properties.

What my comment is/was - is that the city of calgary creates rules and regulations without actually looking at immediate loopholes that every person will take advantage of. If you look at airbnb complaints, people have found loopholes all over the world. In fact there was an article yesterday about a ghost airbnb in Toronto. Will anyone do anything about it? Nope. Because the city did not take the time to thoroughly review the glaring problems with their regulations. I don't anticipate the city of calgary to be any different.

But hey! I could be wrong and someone might have a brain this time.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Of course there are loop holes, but there are people who abide by rules and those who look for every possible loophole to avoid it

You’re paying airbnb to manage the bookings
    You’re sourcing and paying multiple different cleaning companies

You’re a business, depending on what the fee is, is it really that big of a deal to be compliant with city regulations?

For the people who run 1,2,3 places having multiple accounts won’t be that big of a deal, for companies running properties on Airbnb like a full on business, it will be a huge time waste and paying a fee will most likely be more feasible

Anyways, you’re running a business, just pay the fee, get over it
    Last edited by adam c; 05-06-2019 at 09:34 AM.
    Sig nuked by mod.

Constructively? I'd say it depends on what they do. For example, our last two trips to Tokyo, we did airbnb for about 50 bucks a night and it was perfect. Fast forward to this week when I am looking to book Tokyo again and all of a sudden, the prices are 200-300 a night and 1/4 of the homes that there was in the summer. The way that they regulated, seems to have ran most of them out of business. So, really - it didnt create jobs, passive income for owners or aggressive income for the multi unit holders.

In our economy, I think it's great that people have found a side hustle or full time hustle to keep them going.

If the city takes on the regulation the way tokyo did, there is no benefits to anyone

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by dannie View Post
    Constructively? I'd say it depends on what they do. For example, our last two trips to Tokyo, we did airbnb for about 50 bucks a night and it was perfect. Fast forward to this week when I am looking to book Tokyo again and all of a sudden, the prices are 200-300 a night and 1/4 of the homes that there was in the summer. The way that they regulated, seems to have ran most of them out of business. So, really - it didnt create jobs, passive income for owners or aggressive income for the multi unit holders.

In our economy, I think it's great that people have found a side hustle or full time hustle to keep them going.

If the city takes on the regulation the way tokyo did, there is no benefits to anyone
    I think the regulations they've created in Anaheim are strict but fair and protect the residents from temp renters. Simple things like "absolutely zero parking on the street for any reason, ever" and "any noise or pool use after 21:59 is automatic eviction and no refund" keep shit straight. Every page of the contract is initialed and signage is obvious.
    My friend lives in Victoria and he can no longer park anywhere near his own house while he walks through strange, unleashed dogs shitting everywhere because the temp renters give zero fucks.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/...ng-houses.aspx

Anyone here still hosting and actually applied for a Business License?

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post

My eldest son and his GF have, they're going to be subletting a condo to rent out on Airbnb. Condo owner and condo board are aware and agreeable, insurance will in place as well.

Also have these friends of our that own 3 homes in a row in Sunnyside for a total of 6 Airbnb's
    All legal.

My eldest son's GF's sister own 4 condos and Airbnb's all of them, all legal as well.

None of these Airbnb hosts that I knowhave in issue with the CoC's new rules. Thinning of the herd a bit which is good for those that'll stick it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post

Yep! It was super easy. Zero issues with it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3