Quantcast
Buying a BBQ - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a BBQ

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Napoleon is the way to go. I think they are currently on sale.

Feel like this was recently discussed in the bbq thread.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Napoleon is the way to go. I think they are currently on sale.

Feel like this was recently discussed in the bbq thread.
    Yep. You can't go wrong with either Napoleon or Weber and my preference is slightly to Weber but in saying that, it's not like I'm saying Napoleon sucks. That would be silly.
    I've had a Weber Summit S470 for 10+ years and it's like a Ferrari, to me - Big smile on my face each and every time!
    Weber Genesis is also fantastic but if you're considering the Spirit end of things, I'd also consider Broil King. And Hell, the top end Broil King machines are also wonderful. The step up into these $2,000+ units is incredible.
    To me, a key differentiator between Weber and Napoleon is the searing area. Weber is integrated into the oven with an extra burner and Napoleon is a ceramic side burner. Whatever you feel suits your style. The big boy Weber's also have a smoker box with its own burner which is damn near a fully usable smoker, so that's a plus. I'm not sure if Napoleon has something similar, but it's a nice add.

Then consider if that's where you want your $ to go. You can plow through a few $400 BBQs in the next 20yr just fine if you don't want to drop 5x that on a BBQ that's only 2-3x "better". You won't go hungry and your family won't abandon you!
    LoL!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have a personal bias that my grill needs to be three digit prices. But I think we've established that I'm a cheapskate.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

lol, those NexGrill brand bbqs look as fancy as some the other brand names and are about half the price!!! Yes, they are made in china but seems like most of the ones around $500 or less are anyways regardless of brand. I'm tempted to get one as they are so cheap and will probably be able to do what i need. I know the biggest difference will be in the type and thickness of the aluminum used for the cover so it may not keep temperature as well and consistent as the higher end ones. You can get a NexGrill with the similar burners and specs as a napoleon for $500 vs $1500 for the latter. Any thoughts or feedback for these grills? Costco carries the NexGrill so I'm sure if you buy from there and have any problems in 5 years you can probably return for full refund!

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

NexGrill is a disposable BBQ that will not last under any sort of heavy use. If you're looking in the $500 price point go with a Broil King.

We just upgraded a 12 year old Broil Mate to a Weber and the thing that really sold us on the Weber was that they do not discontinue parts. So 10 years down the road you can rebuild your BBQ with a new components if you so desire. Basically it will last almost forever with proper maintenance. Do some research online and people are rebuilding and refurbishing 15-20 year old Webers to brand new condition. There is a 0% change that Nexgrill (or whatever Chinese brand you have) is going to have replacement hoods or burners available for your specific BBQ in 5 or 10 years time.

Weber or bust IMO. Just wait for end of season sales (ie: now) and pickup whatever Genesis you can find on sale.

My Ride
    V8s

I've got a broil king (nat gas) and it's been absolutely awesome.

Totally anecdotal, but my dad had a Napoleon (nat gas) and he had nothing but problems with it; his was absolute trash. Got rid of that and replaced with the same broil king as mine and has been very happy with it.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I've got a broil king (nat gas) and it's been absolutely awesome.

Totally anecdotal, but my dad had a Napoleon (nat gas) and he had nothing but problems with it; his was absolute trash. Got rid of that and replaced with the same broil king as mine and has been very happy with it.

What sort of problems?

My Ride
    *The First*

For those looking for the cheap as fawk BBQ solution, I'd recommend whatever brand Superstore used to or still carries. I bought one of those forever ago from their Wholesale Club and it was a perfectly acceptable unit considering how crazy cheap it was.
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 09-12-2019 at 06:51 PM.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

I run a Weber with their grill insert, Home Depot carries them. Surprisingly I actually have used the inserts quite a bit, I can sear on the griddle, have used the pizza stone several times (many Italian markets have dough), and also have a wok and Korean grill. I didn’t expect it to be this good but 5 years in it is performing like a champ.

The one thing I will highlight, currently it is propane but I want to go natural gas at my next house, and even though the adapter kit is cheap it voids the warranty. I’ll likely still get it done, but something to keep in mind with Weber, as opposed to broil king or Napoleon

This is basically what I have with the Weber “advanced grille” setup
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-bbq-outdoor-...ationFlag=true
    Last edited by finboy; 09-12-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Would it be wise to price and buy a grill by weight? Eg. $/lb ratio? Ie. higher quality units tend to weigh more?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Out of curiosity what is breaking on people’s bbqs?

A gas grill is a pretty darn simple appliance. I think what you are mostly paying for with a better grill is higher quality materials (thicker metal etc.).

Paying for name is obviously a factor as well.
    Last edited by killramos; 09-12-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My fiesta has the frame falling apart, but then again it was $400 12 years ago. The cast iron grates are still in good enough shape. I love cast iron grilling surface.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

I have a (double) cast iron unit as well - it needs regular vegetable oil and cleanings to slow down rusting.

Heavy as fuck, but I wont have to replace it every 5 years either.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I have a (double) cast iron unit as well - it needs regular vegetable oil and cleanings to slow down rusting.

Heavy as fuck, but I wont have to replace it every 5 years either.
    Top tip. If you never clean it you rarely have to oil it.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Top tip. If you never clean it you rarely have to oil it.
    I found some rust on the bottom of the grill, where I didnt clean the last time ....

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I found some rust on the bottom of the grill, where I didnt clean the last time ....
    Well, that's your first problem. Don't look there since you don't grill there.

My Ride
    Silverado

Would it be wise to price and buy a grill by weight? Eg. $/lb ratio? Ie. higher quality units tend to weigh more?
    Btu/ sq in

MOAR POWER

My Ride

^ I might suggest BTU per lb. ? I dont want to replace a BBQ every 2-3 years.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Euro838 View Post
    lol, those NexGrill brand bbqs look as fancy as some the other brand names and are about half the price!!! Yes, they are made in china but seems like most of the ones around $500 or less are anyways regardless of brand. I'm tempted to get one as they are so cheap and will probably be able to do what i need. I know the biggest difference will be in the type and thickness of the aluminum used for the cover so it may not keep temperature as well and consistent as the higher end ones. You can get a NexGrill with the similar burners and specs as a napoleon for $500 vs $1500 for the latter. Any thoughts or feedback for these grills? Costco carries the NexGrill so I'm sure if you buy from there and have any problems in 5 years you can probably return for full refund!
    Out of curiosity what is breaking on people’s bbqs?

A gas grill is a pretty darn simple appliance. I think what you are mostly paying for with a better grill is higher quality materials (thicker metal etc.).

Paying for name is obviously a factor as well.
    I have a 10 year old stainless steel Nexgrill from Costco.
    About 6 years in, I had to replace the flame shields as they were burning/melting at the edges. I've replaced the stainless steel grates once and need to do it again soon - I think the infrared burner gets hot enough to cause the stainless to crack and delaminate from the core after many repeated cycles. I've replaced the ceramic infrared burner once because the ceramic cracked (probably too much moisture). The rubber rings on the plastic knobs have worn and broken off, the screws that hold the plastic knobs onto the gas valves have fallen out and won't screw back in. The bracket that holds one of the burner tubes broke, so now one burner sits cocked at a weird angle. The main stainless body isn't showing any signs of rust, but non-stainless parts are peeling/flaking. Heat retention is terrible, I can have all the burners on and barely crack 400°F on the lid thermometer.

I think Weber/Napoleon had much better warranties, not sure how it is these days.

Overall, would agree that it's "disposable" or costs more in maintenance over time. I can't say I'm very happy with it, but also not too disappointed... I would almost be happy with just the infrared sear burner - 1500°F and ready to go in 60 seconds.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

^^^ Thanks for the review and feedback Strider. Based on what you have stated, it goes to show why it is better to go with a reputable brand if you truly want to cook on the BBQ. All those things you mention would be really annoying to have to deal with and hope they don't happen with BK, Weber or napoleon.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast