Quantcast
Quiet MT tire? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quiet MT tire?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When my truck was stock, plus one size. They've since traveled 80,000+ kms and are starting to make noise - most likely from me not rotating enough. I'm about to put plus 2 tires on, either K02 again or give the Falken Wildpeak a try
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    White letters out, atta boy.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

Quote Originally Posted by Skrilla View Post
    Are these the Kevlar ones Bob? Never tried them before, nice looking tire.
    No, it is the Wrangler AT and the MT/R that have the Kevlar belts.

I resisted trying these Duratracs for a long time because my instinct is to have an aversion to anything that I consider to be the belly button products of the day, but I finally tried a set and had to begrudgingly admit there are really quite good! One thing I was not aware of that came to light recently while having a conversation with a Goodyear exec, but apparently the Duratrac was actually 100% designed and built around industry in Alberta. When they were creating the tire they had their engineers base themselves up North here and worked with the O&G companies to design and create a product specifically around their needs. Makes me feel even better about them now as Alberta has taken enough bullshit hits from corporate America lately. It is nice to see a huge company working for us! lol! Apparently now, the dude who was responsible for the Duratrac is a legend with Goodyear now and is known simply as DuratracDave... Haha!

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    No, it is the Wrangler AT and the MT/R that have the Kevlar belts.

I resisted trying these Duratracs for a long time because my instinct is to have an aversion to anything that I consider to be the belly button products of the day, but I finally tried a set and had to begrudgingly admit there are really quite good! One thing I was not aware of that came to light recently while having a conversation with a Goodyear exec, but apparently the Duratrac was actually 100% designed and built around industry in Alberta. When they were creating the tire they had their engineers base themselves up North here and worked with the O&G companies to design and create a product specifically around their needs. Makes me feel even better about them now as Alberta has taken enough bullshit hits from corporate America lately. It is nice to see a huge company working for us! lol! Apparently now, the dude who was responsible for the Duratrac is a legend with Goodyear now and is known simply as DuratracDave... Haha!
    I had also heard this story about the Duratrac's! Long story short was with the Goodyear/Castrol reps at an OTC party and they told that story.

Someone mentioned Falken’s, I’ve had mine for over two years and I’m pretty impressed by them, quiet on the highway, even wear.

Attachment 85358

I would recommend the Duratracs as well. My wife wanted a quiet tire with an aggressive look and she hasn't complained about the road noise. Not much at all over the stock tires.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    White letters out, atta boy.
    Name:  789BE7A6-985E-488D-B368-9CE09D616736.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  75.4 KB

Only way to be!

Quote Originally Posted by civic_stylez View Post
    Yokohama G003 is rated to be significantly quieter than the Toyo M/T and last longer. There are several reviews on YouTube. Guy with a jeep has done several follow up reviews and one of his main points is how quiet they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsCjXlAZNHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76acJdjJGuE&t=176s

Have a set of 33's on my truck now for a month. They are loud. Awesome tire for what they were designed for, IMO.

My Ride
    Bang Bus

Highly recommend cooper discoverer stt pro for an AT and Yokohama geolander mt for the mud. Had great experiences with both of them

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:12 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I guess my face is so pretty that I don't worry about how my "things" look. Others may not be so blessed and need to compensate.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    05 g35, 08 altima coupe, 10 pathfinder

Yokohama released the G015 recently and is supposed to be quieter than the Toyo MT
    i have them on the 4runner now and it is a noticeable difference compared to the Toyo i ran last year.

- - - Updated - - -

the STT Pro is probably the loudest MT tire i have ever ran.
    had them on the 4runner for a week and couldn't stand the noise

My Ride
    2005 F350

if you're still looking at an M/T tire, I had a set of General Grabber X3 that were pretty quiet, considering how big the lugs were.

another option if you're just looking to get the rugged sidewall look with less road noise would be the Nitto RidgeGrappler. that is probably going to be my next truck tire.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post

I am throwing around the idea of getting a Jeep Truck, or maybe the new Bronco (supposed to have removable top and doors as well), so with the top off that could get old pretty fast.
    I don't think the "removeable roof" is going to be what you think it is...

Name:  bronco1.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  146.5 KB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The new bronco rumours are running wild. 95% of them make no sense. But buying one and accessorizing it makes total sense from a fashion perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I've read it will be about the same size as the Jeep and have removable roof and doors... we will see I guess
    At least a jeep looks good with its doors removed because of its boxiness. If that mule is anything like the end product, the doors missing will look silly.

Tires can make a huge difference in how a vehicle looks. Most people put at least a little emphasis on what they want their vehicle to look like, tires are a small part of the overall cost of the vehicle when you think about it that way.

When I see a Ford Ranger or Jeep with nice aggressive tread, it stands out way more than one with OE rubber IMO

You are talking to a guy who once owned a lifted Hummer coated in bed liner... so you should already have an idea of just how vain I really am
    Throw me in on the vain train too lol Tires make a huge difference imo Ive always loved the look of an MT but i could never commit, ran 2 sets of terra grapplers and loved them but the ridge grappler is something you should look into.

I've been following the new Jeep truck and i love everything about it. The AM support on that thing will be huge and i cant wait to see them done up. The jeeps dont have the best rep from what i hear but man do they look good modded
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

After several years I think when I switched back over to my summer Duratracs, I'll be pushing it on this last season depending on how much driving I do with respect to tread wear. The Duratrac has been a stellar tire but I don't need/want an E-Load anymore and ideally something with a bit less road noise if possible that can still handle the shoulder seasons well before I switch over to my studded Nokians.

265/70/17 for my 2010 4Runner. My honest needs are 50% highway, 40% city and 10% off road (I do a few trips into The Ghost) but the shoulder season driving is really important to me. I do like the more meaty/aggressive look of the Duratrac.

Fountain tire has a good deal on Duratracs ($228/ea) right now, and part of me thinks to just get what I know and have relied on for years.

Doing a bit of research has brought up the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus ($236/ea at Costco + $70 rebate) or General Grabber AT/X ($200/ea w/ shipping from 4Tires + $40 rebate). The KO2 is too expensive I feel.
    Last edited by msommers; 04-08-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast