Quantcast
Do you cook...? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Do you know how to cook?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know how and I cook regularly

64 62.75%
  • Im somewhat ok

12 11.76%
  • I don't know/partner does it all

9 8.82%
  • I know how but partner cooks and I help now and again

14 13.73%
  • Haha.. you peasants...! I have servants..

3 2.94%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you cook...?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Do you cook...?

How many of you guys know how to cook and cook regularly..?

I usually get a shocked look when girls know I can cook. In particular I have noticed Fillipino girls put a face like this when they realise I can cook. Then they go on about how their husbands don't cook anything.
    Name:  Fraggle-Rock-From-Beginnings-to-the-Finale-e1523296641192.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  19.2 KB

And by cooking I mean something tasty from scratch, i.e a chicken curry etc.

My Ride
    rally pig

Yup, I actually prefer cooking more than my wife. Both of us filipino.

Would say I know how to cook quite a few things but I don't really cook regularly. There was a time where I cooked more and now there will still be the occasional weekday night or weekend that I cook but I'll go on streaks of no cooking at all. This year has been quite bad...don't think I've cooked a meal since like January.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

I'm pretty basic and learning here (25, Caucasian, live alone). Besides the usual BBQ Steaks / Burgers/ Etc. - I like cooking things from recipes. Lots of stir fries, curries, pastas, etc. I found you need to have like 10 - 15 types of ingredients/ spices/ sauces etc. to make actual home-made sauces. The sauce is pretty much everything for things like that. But, once you have a collection of things you start to find other recipes that use similar ingredients and can expand that.

Pretty basic but last month I found a recipe for this super good ground chicken lettuce wraps. You need literally 10 ingredients alone for the suace (soy, rice vinegar, hoison, sweet sauce, plum sauce, honey, peanut butter, sesame oil, chili sauce, cumin, chili powder, peanut crushed, and garlic...) Like fuck it's so much easier and cheaper to just get take out hahahahaha... But it's worth it when you make something and it tastes delicious.

Crappy thing living alone cooking: Hardly any recipe's are for just 1 person. (Have to do math and split portions then.) Food ends up going bad if you can't finish it all within the days.
    Good thing: Leftovers for lunches the next day always.

Both my wife and I cook about the same quality with each of us having strengths doing certain things. Who cooks depends on the day/week/activity that night/who had a harder day at work etc etc.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I cook, but like actually cook... like to a level where it’s hard to pay people to make something worse at a restaurant than I can do at home. Also am ranked in BBQ, 6th overall at my last competition out of a field of more than 40 teams... most of which are in the competitions cause they are some sort of restaurant or catering company. I agree, girls love a guy who can cook. They put out 10/10 times

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    curry etc.
    I heard you like vindaloo.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    I cook, but like actually cook... like to a level where it’s hard to pay people to make something worse at a restaurant than I can do at home. Also am ranked in BBQ, 6th overall at my last competition out of a field of more than 40 teams... most of which are in the competitions cause they are some sort of restaurant or catering company. I agree, girls love a guy who can cook. They put out 10/10 times
    I don't have those skills so I just pay and they put out 10/10
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I can cook. I live by myself and sometimes find it a bit of a pain in the ass to cook for one. Most times I'll make two portions and take the second for lunch the next day.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hell yeah I cook. I'd say cooking is one of my favourite hobbies when a) I'm not in a rush and b) when the audience is enthusiastic. Those two only come together like two days a month however . . . . Cooking for kids on weeknights is a grind.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

I can cook. Typically don't though, now that my wife is at home she does the vast majority. I will occasionally (~3 nights a week) help out if I'm home from work while she's still making dinner. This changes in summertime as we like to grill food and I do that 95% of the time.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    I don't have those skills so I just pay and they put out 10/10
    girls will not care if you can cook or not when you own a restaurant though.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    I'm pretty basic and learning here (25, Caucasian, live alone). Besides the usual BBQ Steaks / Burgers/ Etc. - I like cooking things from recipes. Lots of stir fries, curries, pastas, etc. I found you need to have like 10 - 15 types of ingredients/ spices/ sauces etc. to make actual home-made sauces. The sauce is pretty much everything for things like that. But, once you have a collection of things you start to find other recipes that use similar ingredients and can expand that.

Pretty basic but last month I found a recipe for this super good ground chicken lettuce wraps. You need literally 10 ingredients alone for the suace (soy, rice vinegar, hoison, sweet sauce, plum sauce, honey, peanut butter, sesame oil, chili sauce, cumin, chili powder, peanut crushed, and garlic...) Like fuck it's so much easier and cheaper to just get take out hahahahaha... But it's worth it when you make something and it tastes delicious.

Crappy thing living alone cooking: Hardly any recipe's are for just 1 person. (Have to do math and split portions then.) Food ends up going bad if you can't finish it all within the days.
    I have this problem too. I like cooking but there is a lot leftover. I try to have friends over to make them fat. Easier to feed them rather than waste. Not everyone is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I heard you like vindaloo.
    I actually made Chicken Karahi last Sunday. Came out pretty good if I do say so myself.

Maybe I should host a Beyond Curry night at mine.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yes I cook. Gets too expensive eating out all the time. As a general rule, I try to only eat out once a week, otherwise I'm cooking for lunch and dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    Get a vacuum sealer and freeze your leftovers. It's a game changer. When you're feeling lazy and don't want to cook, you'll have something that just needs to be nuked/defrosted/sous vide.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The only thing my wife can good is those stupid chef plate things.

so yea I cook lol.

Biggest thing I miss since getting busy with school. Spending all day making dinner.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I can’t cook shit from scratch but I’m good at throwing together my own lunches and dinners.

My Ride
    This and that.

Nope. Can't cook for shit. Can make an omelette or something but that's about it. Wife is the chef. I am good at buying food from outside.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Yeah, it’s important. Know how, wow them. Both sets of lips will be wet.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

She cooks, I clean the kitchen after.

We used to split it up, but after a few years it became apparent who was better at which.

Brown some meat, caramelize some veggies, proper spicing and salting... Yup. And bake everything at 350.

Definitely know more than the local bar/grill. Its sometimes painful to have to go out to dinner to meetup with friends knowing there is a good chance it will taste worse than if I just stay in.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast