Quantcast
Overclocking Question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Overclocking Question

My Ride
    TDi

Default Overclocking Question

I know how computers work, but not overly technical when it comes to the components and everything. I built a computer through MemX and here is my build:
    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6dP96s

I've tried to OC the GPU and something is off. I've made the changes through the MSI afterburner OC tool, but when I benchmark through heaven my score stays in the high 100s.. which is stupid low. I've made the changes and made sure to save and apply, but the OC does not seem to be working? Has anyone had this issue before?

My GPU is an MSI RTX 2060 Ventus OC
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Is afterburner running while your doing the benchmarks? With the pascal cards the tolerances are a lot tighter and the amount you can overclock is no wear near what you use to be able to get with the bigger dies of older cards and being you have an already overclocked aftermarket card your headroom is pretty small. I know with my aftermarket 1080 I was only able to edge out another 80Mhz and most of the performance increase came from maxing out the power limit. I believe afterburner has some pretty good datalogging functions I would run a log and post it up to get an idea of whats actually happening.

My Ride
    TDi

Yes, I keep afterburner on while doing the benchmark. Also, I added +60 to the core clock and +600 to the memory. I've done some research on what others are getting with the same card and the numbers I am entering are very conservative. While running heaven my score is:
    FPS: 20
    Score: 190
    Min FPS: 7?
    Max FPS 20-23

Just seems odd for RTX2060. I'll have a look at my datalogging when I get home and post it up here.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

check that your drivers (Nvidia) are all up to date and that you have the NVIDIA interface available to do so.

also - interestingly you chose to cheap out on the PSU - I would have easily spend another 60$ on a proper, platinum series, 750w or greater setup - not that its causing this issue.

My Ride
    TDi

I'm pretty sure I'm updated for drivers, but I will have to have a look again. Was told a 80+ bronze was good enough for my setup by MemX.. will buy a new one in the future if it doesn't work out
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Its not that a bronze PSU is 'bad' .... its just that is the one component you should always go overkill with (to a point, you dont need 1200w either) and go for the best in class when possible.

If you upgrade your PSU, a 650 or 750W EVGA SuperNOVA G3 are about the best PSUs you can buy, they run at platinum levels most of the time, and are inexpensive.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by 403ep3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know how computers work, but not overly technical when it comes to the components and everything. I built a computer through MemX and here is my build:
    https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6dP96s

I've tried to OC the GPU and something is off. I've made the changes through the MSI afterburner OC tool, but when I benchmark through heaven my score stays in the high 100s.. which is stupid low. I've made the changes and made sure to save and apply, but the OC does not seem to be working? Has anyone had this issue before?

My GPU is an MSI RTX 2060 Ventus OC
    You have a factory OC card. You may not squeeze much else out from it unfortunately.

You can try other alternatives for example GPU Tweak II as I found my GTX 1070 Afterburner just did not work.

Grab the Valley benchmark tool and see what your results are from that.

My Ride
    TDi

Thanks for the help all. So I OC my CPU and then tried again for the GPU. Same results on heaven. Decided to run fortnite while looking at my computer statistics on the other monitor. I was running at my OC numbers.. so I am guessing there’s something off with the benchmarking tool as my FPS had increased as well
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

I found with my 970 that i never hit max clocks when attempting to overclock, but just boosting the power limit allows it to boost clock higher... if that makes sense.

Also understand that it's a bit of a lottery when it comes to GPUs overclocking - maybe not so much as CPUs, but the Silicon Lottery still exists, and IMO from what I'm reading here, is quite possibly, even likely, to be the reason you aren't getting much more out of your GPU O/C ing it. Some cards will give you more than others. I wouldn't let it bake your brain too much either way.

How about real world FPS testing in game - run a bunch of games you play on the same settings with the OC settings in place and without, and observe/record the FPS results and see if you're getting anywhere...