Quantcast
3M VHB Tape? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 3M VHB Tape?

Default 3M VHB Tape?

Hey guys, Do you know where in Calgary I can get 3M VHB tape? (Not the one at Canadian Tire) Need to find asap. Thank you

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Googling leads me to believe ULine Shipping supplies carry it but it aint going to be cheap. Very expensive rolls. What are you mounting?

I've used 3M Super Strength Moulding Tape before, mounting a spoiler. Canadian Tire carries it. Prep the surface with Adhesion Promoter and it aint coming off
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Googling leads me to believe ULine Shipping supplies carry it but it aint going to be cheap. Very expensive rolls. What are you mounting?

I've used 3M Super Strength Moulding Tape before, mounting a spoiler. Canadian Tire carries it. Prep the surface with Adhesion Promoter and it aint coming off
    Yes I googled and I got uline as well but I dont need a lifetime supply lol.. Yes I am mounting a spoiler. So the one at Canadian Tire should be good enough? Thanks bro

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Use adhesion promoter and especially a heat gun. That tape is heat activated - not many people know this. Heat it on high until the surface begins to turn textured, then stick it down. Make sure it’s lined up, you’ll only get one shot at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    Use adhesion promoter and especially a heat gun. That tape is heat activated - not many people know this. Heat it on high until the surface begins to turn textured, then stick it down. Make sure it’s lined up, you’ll only get one shot at it.
    Can I stick it on the car first, align it, then use a heat gun to it? This way the adjustment can be made easier?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BensonTT View Post
    Yes I googled and I got uline as well but I dont need a lifetime supply lol.. Yes I am mounting a spoiler. So the one at Canadian Tire should be good enough? Thanks bro
    Watch this video. I basically followed the same way except using their black silicone glue part. And don't peel the tape all and stick on, follow how the video did the tape portion. This is the one I used
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3...-0475886p.html

Combine that with Adhesion Promoter on both the trunk lid and spoiler before you put the tape on the spoiler shit aint coming off. When I had to take my spoiler off to get re-painted, I had to use windshield cutting string to remove the spoiler.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by BensonTT View Post
    Can I stick it on the car first, align it, then use a heat gun to it? This way the adjustment can be made easier?
    No. You need to heat the tape directly. You’ll see when it begins to get a texture to it. Keep heating the entire piece until it’s all evenly textured and then stick it down while it’s still warm, and that thing ain’t ever coming off.

Place the spoiler first and use some masking tape to mark out where it needs to go, then peel the red backing off the tape, heat it, and stick the spoiler down for the final time.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    Going back to this, which tape is heat activated? The VHB or the one I suggested?If the one I suggested, I never used any heat gun, just adhesion promoter but I did install it on a warm ass day as well as let it cure out in the sun for a few hours, and taped the spoiler down with tape as well to make sure 100% bond.

Thanks for the tip guys. Will update you on how it goes this weekend.