Quantcast
Shop Cracks Windshield While Attempting to Fix Chip - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shop Cracks Windshield While Attempting to Fix Chip

Default Shop Cracks Windshield While Attempting to Fix Chip

Hey,

Was hoping to get some thoughts/opinions on this topic.

My father went to get a windshield chip repaired and the shop (not sure if I should mention name at this point) cracked the windshield. They didn't get him to sign anything prior and didn't let him know that this was a potential risk/possibility. They are refusing to do anything as they said "no windshield shop would cover this".

I called Windshield Surgeons myself and they told me if they cracked the windshield while fixing a chip they would replace it no questions asked as it is their fault (should have taken it here in the first place).

Any thoughts, experience or opinions on how hard I should be trying to get the company to replace the windshield for us?

Thanks.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Mention the name here as that's probably the only hope they will replace it. I guess let us know also so we know to totally avoid this place.

Most shops would replace the windshield if it was their fault, not sure what this shop is thinking here.

Edit: I agree, the disclosure part is important.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 04-03-2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Disclosure addition

Cal-Alta Glass (North) - This is also coming directly from the manager.

I think my biggest issue is the fact that it wasn't posed as a possibility that they could crack the windshield and we would be out of luck. They looked at the chip, took the car in, cracked the windshield when attempting to fix it and came back with sorry......it's 700+ to replace it.
    Last edited by v8killa; 04-03-2019 at 02:49 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

They should replace it. That's on them and totally their risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I've never heard of anyone offering to replace the windshield if it cracks during a chip repair. It's completely unpredictable if it cracks or not as pressure (well I guess vacuum) is applied to the spot during the repair process. There is literally no way to assess if a chip will or will not spread and crack prior to repair.

With that said, if Windshield Surgeons claims to do this, I'm going there next time I need a repair. To gamble $50 on a chip fix that could net me a $1500 windshield repair job, I'm fucking there.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Yeah that is fair...I am going to call Windshield Surgeons back and talk to a manager after work to make sure. Again, I am not shocked that they don't want to cover it....but the fact that they don't even pose it as a possibility before doing work and come back with a cracked windshield and a $700 for a new one is what gets me.

Quote Originally Posted by v8killa View Post
    Cal-Alta Glass (North) - This is also coming directly from the manager.

I think my biggest issue is the fact that it wasn't posed as a possibility that they could crack the windshield and we would be out of luck. They looked at the chip, took the car in, cracked the windshield when attempting to fix it and came back with sorry......it's 700+ to replace it.
    Wife took the Odyssey to that location multiple times to fix a chip which grew into a crack... and then into a longer crack... and so forth. After the third time, looks like the growth has stopped for the time being. Not saying it is their fault as the crack grew after we left their facility. But they mended it each time free as far as I know.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by v8killa View Post
    Yeah that is fair...I am going to call Windshield Surgeons back and talk to a manager after work to make sure. Again, I am not shocked that they don't want to cover it....but the fact that they don't even pose it as a possibility before doing work and come back with a cracked windshield and a $700 for a new one is what gets me.
    Yea, the disclosure is a bitch. I mean, I've had to sign a disclaimer on the work order prior to the repair. The worst part is, when it cracks during repair, it's way the fuck worse than a natural crack so you really have no option other than replace.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    changes daily :D

having dealt closely with windshield shops and having replaced a few myself, it's about a 1 in 100 windshields that will crack while trying to repair a chip. but every time I've had to take a car in, especially anything with an expensive windshield they have always explained that it does happen. Had a buddy with a Ferrari 575 and it had a chip, new one installed was just over 10k. the guys at the shop said there is a chance. my buddy said if he doesn't get it fixed it is for sure going to crack. shop did it no problems, came out fine and is still good to this day (not like the car gets a ton of mileage anyways).

in any case, the shop should cover the windshield if they cracked it and didn't advise of the possibility of it happening....that is what a proper business should do....

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Every shop I've been to has mentioned that there is a possibility of the windshield cracking due to the pressure used to fill the chip.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Yeah normally I'd side with the shop, but their own dumb ass fault for not mentioning beforehand and getting signed authorization.

They owe your dad a windshield or at least a hefty discount on one.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

If there was a sign, a verbal mention, or a signed paper saying it could happen then so be it. However, if there was no indication then I would fight it with the simple case that there was no risk indicated.

And remember... there is always someone higher in a chain.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Sorry to hear that, but other than bad luck .... nothing to say.. I never heard any windshield shop will cover your glasses or any guarantee. Even those glasses repair tents at Safeway/Superstore etc, the guy always tell me my windshield could crack during repair. (but very slim chance)

Kind of like filling your teeth, you may need a crown or roof canal.

Windshield Surgeons will replace the windshield if it cracks? I never heard of that, and I doubt it, I am sure there is some condition ...
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    German

Windshield Surgeons ruined both of my A-pillars during the windshield install. They're cheap but there's a reason why. If it's a beater then whatever. Otherwise if you want a shop that take pride in their work, look elsewhere.

It's too bad Cal Alta didn't mention the risk before hand but I believe they hire out that repair guy anyways. There is ALWAYS a risk to chip and crack repair.

My Ride
    NC1

Ya that's rough but what can you do.

If I was the shop, I would offer to replace it at cost. Try to salvage the situation somewhat.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I've never heard of anyone offering to replace the windshield if it cracks during a chip repair. It's completely unpredictable if it cracks or not as pressure (well I guess vacuum) is applied to the spot during the repair process. There is literally no way to assess if a chip will or will not spread and crack prior to repair.

With that said, if Windshield Surgeons claims to do this, I'm going there next time I need a repair. To gamble $50 on a chip fix that could net me a $1500 windshield repair job, I'm fucking there.
    This is what I was going to say. I've never heard of a shop replacing a windshield that cracked while trying to repair it. Most shops have a disclaimer about this too. Pretty had thing to guarantee against.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

I've only had 2 chips filled before, but both times I most definitely was not warned about a possible crack as a result of the 'fix', either verbally or in writing. This was at CalAlta South. They did a good job though and I had no issues, but it was very casual.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’ve never had a verbal warning either.

I think offering replacement at cost is reasonable here, at least you know they aren’t now profiting from their “mistake”. That sets a pretty untasteful situation. But I can see why they aren’t offering a new windshield.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    LNF

I worked at windshield surgeons years ago. We used to tell people that there was a chance that the glass would crack during repair. I used to Do the chip repairs, I would agree lien above, 1 in 100 would crack.

I highly doubt that they would cover your new windshield replacement. At best case, maybe refund you for the chip repair since they did not mention it could crack.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast