Quantcast
Drug testing with the City - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Drug testing with the City

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since when was safety sensitive a new thing?
    It definitely became popular over the last few years with the looming threat of legalization, I was applying to tons of industrial jobs about 5-6 years ago and don't remember seeing the term often, if at all. But who knows maybe it's just a big conspiracy I'm making up, doesn't really matter to me anyway.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

"Safety sensitive" positions aren't anything new, at least not in my 15 years of working in industry and it has never had any specific focus on weed, just generalized impairment. Pot smokers seem to think that weed doesn't effect them like other drugs or alcohol do so they take it as a direct attack on them. Because most people aren't responsible enough to have common sense when it comes to consumption or timing the consumption, industries use random drug testing (which is usually a condition of employment for anything I've ever seen, as is being fit for duty). This is nothing new and nothing to do with the recent legalization so I am not sure where you're getting that from?

As an office guy for the last 6 years of my career I am still in a safety sensitive position when I am actively planning jobs or communicating with people in the field or on job sites. If I am directing work from my office but I am stoned on anything (weed, pills etc) I could put someone in harms way. I am (and should be) subject to the same drug testing policy the guy with a pipe wrench on the well head is, and I have no problem with that. I wouldn't want to work with anyone who does have an issue with that.

Like Killramos said, its way easier to weed people out before you hire them than after you've invested time and money into them. Do I think you should be able to smoke a joint on your days off and not have it effect your job much like having a few beers on Monday and going to work on Wednesday does? Absolutely. But a reliable repeatable way to tell when you've smoked doesn't exist yet so until then the old rule of not having anything in your system when on the job applies. Its been the same forever, not sure why people are always so surprised by drug testing.
    Last edited by schurchill39; 04-08-2019 at 09:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

More discussion on the challenges of workplace testing for cannibis.
    Essential Energy Services asks employees to "please abstain" because of the possibility of testing requirements on third-party sites.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...atac-1.5146681

I do not partake in any recreational drug use and I rarely drink either, a single beer maybe every two weeks or so but I can certainly see the difficulties with companys and THC testing.

For sure in my line of work, any sort of impairment should not be tolerated - table saws and such can easily catch a finger or two or worse even when you are not impaired and think you are alert. My third table saw this past Friday morning saw me nip my left index finger, pretty much looked like hamburger but no hospital visit required. What still confuses me is I was very rested and alert but I still managed to cut myself. Yeah, my blade was set to high and I had the guard off but it had been like that all week.

The point is at what point is one too impaired to make safe and/or proper judgement calls when it comes to safety. People on a work site will occasionally ask to use my miter or table saw for a few cuts, how l liable am I if that person actually is impaired but not to a point that I could readily recognize such and they proceed to cut off a finger or worse?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Canyonero

@speedog - no sawstop or reax? Even as only an occasional hobbyist, I'm seriously contemplating the investment. If I was a professional finish carpenter I can't imagine working without it.

Honestly, i take the brock lesnar approach to drug tests. You cant test positive if your piss is so hot it burns through cup. And yeah, im pretty drug testing is a pretty safety related thing, unless you are perscribed driving crack like me.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

People go to work sober? Sounds horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by prae View Post
    @speedog - no sawstop or reax? Even as only an occasional hobbyist, I'm seriously contemplating the investment. If I was a professional finish carpenter I can't imagine working without it.
    Nope and I haven't seen either at any job site I've been in for the past 4 years. Honestly, my mistake was as simple as having my blade too high. Didn't have the guard on because of the size of the piece I was cutting.
    Will fuck off, again.

I always get a crack out of pot heads complaining about this. "If I smoke on the weekend, I will test positive but not be impaired. It's bullshit". Yeah well guess what, you can do a rail of coke on the weekend and be sober in 6 hours, but you'll still test positive for 3 days. This is not something that screws pot heads specifically. A drug test is all the industry has to do some due dilligence on you, if getting high is more important to you than getting a good paycheck, that sounds like a you problem. Zero sympathy.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Last edited by ExtraSlow; 02-23-2020 at 09:10 PM.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I just watched the movie Flight, for the second time on Tuesday. So your saying a beer, 3 vodkas, a little weed, and a rail is to much to fly. Haha. He saved all those people though, not a true story though.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I always get a crack out of pot heads complaining about this. "If I smoke on the weekend, I will test positive but not be impaired. It's bullshit". Yeah well guess what, you can do a rail of coke on the weekend and be sober in 6 hours, but you'll still test positive for 3 days. This is not something that screws pot heads specifically. A drug test is all the industry has to do some due dilligence on you, if getting high is more important to you than getting a good paycheck, that sounds like a you problem. Zero sympathy.
    the time to metabolise pot vs hard drugs is significantly different and longer for pot. Not to mention that pot is legal now, and there should be testing in place to determine impairment.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    the time to metabolise pot vs hard drugs is significantly different and longer for pot. Not to mention that pot is legal now, and there should be testing in place to determine impairment.

They don't have impairment tests for legal opioids either. I still don't think people prescribed them are being marginalized.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I'm ok with this

Without a proven way to test for impairment they have to default to this. It is just a safety first approach. Really it should be applied to job sites and other types of work where you could be putting other peoples lives at risk.

If you are going to take other peoples lives into your hands, your personal freedoms come second.
    It already is applied to virtually all work sites. The 28 day rule essentially boils down to, you must be able to pass a piss test, which is the same standard any "safety sensitive" position goes by.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Too lazy to make a new thread, but kinda fits here. I know we have a few pilots on beyond.
    Transport Canada says no flying within 28 days of consuming cannibis.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/tra...abis-1.5164518
    Seems like a weird time for the news to pick up on this. TC released these rules week it was legalized.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Seems like a weird time for the news to pick up on this. TC released these rules week it was legalized.
    Wasn’t it “you won’t pass a medical if you admit to smoking pot” and now it's changed to this?

I don’t smoke pot, so I don’t really care, but it’ll be interesting to see how medicals are processed now this rule is out.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:09 PM.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I always wonder how landlords are going to deal with the medical pot stuff. Lots of smokers assert it is their right to smoke it indoors if they have a prescription.

If I was a landlord I'd almost be inclined to try and screen out pot smokers because of the risk of damage
    I don't think it's a big deal. Property damage is property damage, and if tenant at fault, they should pay.
    On Sabbatical

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2