Quantcast
Drug testing with the City - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drug testing with the City

Default Drug testing with the City

I've been poking around for work lately and noticed a job competition with the City. I was intrigued that they have this statement in the posting:

"An offer of employment for this position will be conditional on an applicant passing a pre-employment drug test. Failure to pass a pre-employment drug test may prevent an applicant from being hired into any safety sensitive position for a period of up to twelve months"

Curious, I applied to see what happens. The application process pointedly asks about cannabis use. If cannabis is legal now, what's up with this? Isn't this discrimination?

My Ride
    LX 5.0

I believe they can place whatever restrictions they see fit for a job posting. No different than requiring someone to have a degree or a class 1 license or a journeyman ticket.

I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by z24_wheels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "

Curious, I applied to see what happens. The application process pointedly asks about cannabis use. If cannabis is legal now, what's up with this? Isn't this discrimination?
    Apparently it's ok to discriminate. Not that I care but just thought it was interesting that you can do this.

Village Ice Cream is a tobacco free company—we do not hire smokers
    https://villageicecream.com/jobs/

I've been poking around for work lately and noticed a job competition with the City. I was intrigued that they have this statement in the posting:

"An offer of employment for this position will be conditional on an applicant passing a pre-employment drug test. Failure to pass a pre-employment drug test may prevent an applicant from being hired into any safety sensitive position for a period of up to twelve months"

Your answer is already in your post.

My Ride
    V8s

Discrimination

The whole application/interview process is literally a process of discrimination based on a variety of criteria with the goal of finding the best candidate. Aside from the obvious things like racial discrimination, an employer should be able to put whatever requirements they want on a certain position. They're the one paying the bills.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

It doesn't matter if cannabis is legal, so is alcohol, or prescription pain killers. You still can't be on them in any sort of safety sensitive position.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

I agree, you cant be on something in a safety sensitive position (which is a subject for another discussion with respect to this job). But why test for a substance during interviews? Proof of previous use is not equivalent to use on the job.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I agree, you cant be on something in a safety sensitive position (which is a subject for another discussion with respect to this job). But why test for a substance during interviews? Proof of previous use is not equivalent to use on the job.
    Doesn't matter. The employer can hire a person for whatever reason.

If you find yourself being disqualified for employment opportunities, and the source of disqualification is something you can manipulate...

Why not quit smoking weed and then it’s a non-issue?

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Apparently it's ok to discriminate. Not that I care but just thought it was interesting that you can do this.

Village Ice Cream is a tobacco free company—we do not hire smokers
    https://villageicecream.com/jobs/
    I can understand that. Smokers stink and that’s a small ass shop with 4 of them behind the counter.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Smokers do stink.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Smokers do stink.
    They also probably don't want staff disappearing every 30 mins for a smoke break.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

The whole 'safety sensitive' thing is BS and it's just a way for them to stick it to cannabis users cause they don't want to hire people they see as stoners. You will get no sympathy due to the state of the economy, all the envious bastards will love to chime in and say blah blah if you want the job you should stop smoking weed but in reality it's an encroachment on your personal freedoms and until employers are desperate for employees again it won't change.

If you work for me there is no smoking during work hours period. If you smoke and then get in a non-smokers vehicle, they can smell it and quite frankly, it is fucking disgusting and sticks around for a long time. On top of that, everyone you work with who doesn't smoke ends up subsidizing your work load so you can wander off for multiple breaks. Just isn't fair.

Does this mean I discriminate? Tobacco is legal but it doesn't fit in the work place IMHO.

That said, I am okay with people puffing a vape here and there in place of cigs. It doesn't stink and stick the same way tobacco smoke does and if it keeps you working without needing constant 5 to 10 minute smoke breaks, it is acceptable. I have had to have conversations with the odd guy about power vaping though. There is a line that can be crossed where it starts to become an issue. I sort of take the approach that if I can't really notice you are vaping on the job then I don't complain. If I can tell by walking through clouds or others are constantly remarking then it is too much.
    Last edited by tirebob; 04-07-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tcon View Post
    The whole 'safety sensitive' thing is BS and it's just a way for them to stick it to cannabis users cause they don't want to hire people they see as stoners. You will get no sympathy due to the state of the economy, all the envious bastards will love to chime in and say blah blah if you want the job you should stop smoking weed but in reality it's an encroachment on your personal freedoms and until employers are desperate for employees again it won't change.
    Is the whole 'safety sensitive' thing BS? I'd rather not be in a vehicle or have a company vehicle who's under the influence of alcohol and the same thing goes for pot or any other drug, legal or not, that can impair both your motor functions, reaction times and possibly even perception.

When I broke my back in 2005, I was on mix of drugs including percocets and took my cocktail every 4 hours - it was readily apparent to anyone around me that I was in no condition to drive or do a number of things that might have required me to be safe in doing so. I can say the same thing about cannabis users, it does affect their ability to react to things - I can watch my adult kids go have a puff and they are most definitely in lala land for a while. They readily admit it and as such, they do not get into any of our vehicles for a bit of time.

That said, it isn't sticking it to the cannabis users. It is about safety in the workplace. I sure as hell wouldn't feel comfortable doing a small, precise use cut on my table saw with the guard off where I have to use both hands very close to the blade to guide the material being cut. Maybe you would but I highly value intact and complete fingers and hands.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    If you work for me there is no smoking during work hours period. If you smoke and then get in a non-smokers vehicle, they can smell it and quite frankly, it is fucking disgusting and sticks around for a long time. On top of that, everyone you work with who doesn't smoke ends up subsidizing your work load so you can wander off for multiple breaks. Just isn't fair.

Does this mean I discriminate? Tobacco is legal but it doesn't fit in the work place IMHO.

That said, I am okay with people puffing a vape here and there in place of cigs. It doesn't stink and stick the same way tobacco smoke does and if it keeps you working without needing constant 5 to 10 minute smoke breaks, it is acceptable. I have had to have conversations with the odd guy about power vaping though. There is a line that can be crossed where it starts to become an issue. I sort of take the approach that if I can't really notice you are vaping on the job then I don't complain. If I can tell by walking through clouds or others are constantly remarking then it is too much.
    Way to be contradictory. Saying on thing is not ok but the other is. They are both gross and disgusting and most people who vape are doing it for no reason other than to vape.

Your kidding yourself if you think people who vape don't stink or have an odor.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Because it’s much easier in so many ways to weed someone out (haha puns...) before you hire them, than to get rid of them down the road.

The employer has clearly made up their mind if you are the kind of person who can’t pass a clean drug test then you are the kind of person they don’t want working for them or to invest their time in.

And if smoking weed is so important to you, I guess you have to ask if this is even someone you want to be working for.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you smoke responsibly and recreationally, you should STILL be able to pass a pre-employment drug test, because you have plenty of notice. It's not random.
    Now if you need it daily for medical reasons, well, then passing that test will be harder, but so will coming to work unimpaired. Medicines can have serious impairment effects, and that's important in safety sensitive situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Is the whole 'safety sensitive' thing BS? I'd rather not be in a vehicle or have a company vehicle who's under the influence of alcohol and the same thing goes for pot or any other drug, legal or not, that can impair both your motor functions, reaction times and possibly even perception.

When I broke my back in 2005, I was on mix of drugs including percocets and took my cocktail every 4 hours - it was readily apparent to anyone around me that I was in no condition to drive or do a number of things that might have required me to be safe in doing so. I can say the same thing about cannabis users, it does affect their ability to react to things - I can watch my adult kids go have a puff and they are most definitely in lala land for a while. They readily admit it and as such, they do not get into any of our vehicles for a bit of time.

That said, it isn't sticking it to the cannabis users. It is about safety in the workplace. I sure as hell wouldn't feel comfortable doing a small, precise use cut on my table saw with the guard off where I have to use both hands very close to the blade to guide the material being cut. Maybe you would but I highly value intact and complete fingers and hands.
    Hey dude I am not advocating for using drugs on the job at all, that's obviously a big no no, and I'm not sure how you interpreted my post as that. The problem with the new "safety sensitive" term companies are using is they want a shoe-in for random drug tests. Once that starts (looking at you, Suncor) it could slowly spread to all industries, even regular old office jobs. Now with cannabis, you can smoke a J on the weekend and get popped in a random drug test on Wednesday, meanwhile billy snorted a line of coke out of a hookers ass crack on Tuesday evening but he's good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by tcon View Post
    Hey dude I am not advocating for using drugs on the job at all, that's obviously a big no no, and I'm not sure how you interpreted my post as that. The problem with the new "safety sensitive" term companies are using is they want a shoe-in for random drug tests. Once that starts (looking at you, Suncor) it could slowly spread to all industries, even regular old office jobs. Now with cannabis, you can smoke a J on the weekend and get popped in a random drug test on Wednesday, meanwhile billy snorted a line of coke out of a hookers ass crack on Tuesday evening but he's good to go.
    Since when was safety sensitive a new thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast