Quantcast
Cold Basement? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cold Basement?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Cold Basement?

Recently (~6 months ago) finished the basement and we have noticed that there is roughly a 4 degree temperature difference between the main floor and the basement. So 20 upstairs 16 downstairs. The living area in the basement is open planned to the stairwell. Its 650-700 square foot finished space (including the bedrooms) the contractor roughed in some electrical to attach wall heaters which we haven't done yet. We have a space heater with a built in thermostat in the living area which works alright but its still pretty cold down there. What I'm really looking for is some sort of wall mounted thermostat that works with a wall heater.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Hot air rises. Cold air sinks. You need more circulation in the home. I battled with this by fucking with vents and what not for 2 years before I figured out I just need to circulate the air more. Got a new furnace and have the fan running at 10% when not calling for heat/cool to promote circulation, now my temps are within 1C of each other in every room.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, run your furnace fan 100% of the time, and temperature differences will decrease. My furnace doesn't have that fancy slower speed option, so I just run the fan full blast 24/7/365.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

What thermostat allows you to run your fan at 10% power or is that a function of a new furnace?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    What thermostat allows you to run your fan at 10% power or is that a function of a new furnace?
    New Furnace.

Ecobee allows you to turn on fan for a minimum of X mins per hour, which sort of does the same thing.

Here's my shitty excel graphs of before and after from Ecobee data:

Name:  fanspeed.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  34.7 KB

ExtraSlow's method works as well (running @ 100% 24/7), but prepare for a fun power bill.

Ecobee Fan Setting:

Name:  fansetting.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  24.5 KB
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Does running the fan all of the time increase your power usage by much?

My Ride
    FB6

Yes, if you have an old furnace with an AC fan.

My Ride
    V167

Interesting. Thanks for the suggestion raj. Nest allows me to run it every hour. Will get this going and see if the situation improves.

4 degrees sounds pretty normal. Our (finished) basement is like 10C haha - you're lucky. Older home though. Amazing in the summer, not as amazing in the winter.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm not really sure what it costs me. We need it all spring and summer to combat incredible heat in the upstairs bedrooms. Stupid dark stucco absorbs a shocking amount of heat on any sunny day. We've been going to bed with windows open already this spring.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

You could also change out your blower motor to this one that has also has an option to do a constant low speed run. It helped even out the temps in my house a bit especially with spring/fall temps right now causing low furnace/AC run times. The DC motor drops the power consumption quite a bit but will still take a while to recoup the cost depending on how much you run your fan. Available from Amazon but a little pricey right now, I've seen the price hover around $250 before:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Mars-10860-Azu...gateway&sr=8-1

Pretty simple and straight forward to install. Here's a guide:
    https://thelazycouple.com/give-your-...nd-9b7bfb4f8ea

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Recently (~6 months ago) finished the basement and we have noticed that there is roughly a 4 degree temperature difference between the main floor and the basement. So 20 upstairs 16 downstairs. The living area in the basement is open planned to the stairwell. Its 650-700 square foot finished space (including the bedrooms) the contractor roughed in some electrical to attach wall heaters which we haven't done yet. We have a space heater with a built in thermostat in the living area which works alright but its still pretty cold down there. What I'm really looking for is some sort of wall mounted thermostat that works with a wall heater.
    1) Make sure you're downstairs heat vents are wide open, and then only partially open the ones on the upper floors. As we all know, heat rises. You basically want hot air from the basement to rise up, this allows upstairs to not get boiling hot while keeping downstairs warm (you want a greater % of your hot air going to the basement)

2) Make sure you're air returns aren't blocked

3) If you have a door on the stairs, keep it closed as again, the hot air from the basement will rise and leave the space, while the hot air that has gone to the upper floors will keep the thermostat reading higher, preventing the furnace from turning on and replenishing the hot air in the basement

This will work best to minimize the differential. Putting a heater in the basement doesn't solve the problem, will waste energy, and likely will lead to the upstairs area being too hot.

Edit-
    Ah shit, I left my computer an hour ago and came back and wrote this, everyone else beat me to it. Yes, run the furnace fan as well to circulate air.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    1) Make sure you're downstairs heat vents are wide open, and then only partially open the ones on the upper floors. As we all know, heat rises. You basically want hot air from the basement to rise up, this allows upstairs to not get boiling hot while keeping downstairs warm (you want a greater % of your hot air going to the basement)

2) Make sure you're air returns aren't blocked

3) If you have a door on the stairs, keep it closed as again, the hot air from the basement will rise and leave the space, while the hot air that has gone to the upper floors will keep the thermostat reading higher, preventing the furnace from turning on and replenishing the hot air in the basement

This will work best to minimize the differential. Putting a heater in the basement doesn't solve the problem, will waste energy, and likely will lead to the upstairs area being too hot.

Edit-
    Ah shit, I left my computer an hour ago and came back and wrote this, everyone else beat me to it. Yes, run the furnace fan as well to circulate air.
    Our upstairs runs on a different set of vents and its seperated at the furnance/ducting - we did this before finishing the basement. So we have two thermostats one for the upstairs and another (nest) for mainfloor and basement) But thanks for the tips we currently keep the basement door closed at all times. I will look at the air returns I think a couple might be partially blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm not really sure what it costs me. We need it all spring and summer to combat incredible heat in the upstairs bedrooms. Stupid dark stucco absorbs a shocking amount of heat on any sunny day. We've been going to bed with windows open already this spring.

According to google most furnace fans are ~500W so running it full time would cost approximately $29 a month for a 4c per kwh

My Ride
    Bicycle

According to google most furnace fans are ~500W so running it full time would cost approximately $29 a month for a 4c per kwh
    Delivery/Admin/carbon tax will probably run you closer to 10c per kwh.

Did your contractor ran proper ducts and air return for the basement?

My thermostat is on the main floor so heat is always on in winter. With same ducts, I basically have to close all vents in basement because it would be cooking.

Once spring comes (now), all basement vents are opened because heat ran a lot less and it gets cold in basement. Once you are deep into summer, basement would be a great place to escape the heat if you don't have an AC. And on REALLY hot days, I try to have circulation on more often to draw cold air from basement to other parts of the house.

A space heater with thermostat would probably be the cheapest option to solve a localized issue. I assume the basement bedroom is where you are putting your MIL.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-08-2019 at 10:56 AM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Our upstairs runs on a different set of vents and its seperated at the furnance/ducting - we did this before finishing the basement.
    Maybe you answered this previously, but is the damper for the upper/lower vents working? Might be worth making sure.

My Ride
    Trucks

Closing off the basement staircase is huge for keeping the basement warm, once the basement heat vents are open and relocated down the walls to floor level. The basement return air should also be at the floor.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Delivery/Admin/carbon tax will probably run you closer to 10c per kwh.

Did your contractor ran proper ducts and air return for the basement?

My thermostat is on the main floor so heat is always on in winter. With same ducts, I basically have to close all vents in basement because it would be cooking.

Once spring comes (now), all basement vents are opened because heat ran a lot less and it gets cold in basement. Once you are deep into summer, basement would be a great place to escape the heat if you don't have an AC. And on REALLY hot days, I try to have circulation on more often to draw cold air from basement to other parts of the house.

A space heater with thermostat would probably be the cheapest option to solve a localized issue. I assume the basement bedroom is where you are putting your MIL.
    I have all my vents open in the house now, and rely on the circulation to ensure even temperatures everywhere. My only struggle are the big window rooms, even with blinds, it's a few degrees higher in the day and takes a few hours after sunset to re-stabilize.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

So yesterday afternoon I bought a nest temperature sensor and put that in the basement, then I redirected the nest to use that temperature, I shut all the vents on my main floor (because of the construction last summer I found only one was open) I then made sure all the vents were open in the basement. I then set the furnace to run at a minimum temp of 19 and it ran for 20 mins and heated the basement from 17 to 19. Running the fan all day seemed to warm up the basement from 16 to 17 only. I have now set an eco mode with a minimum temp of 19 and max of 25 to minimize the amount the furnace will be on.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you want the basement and the main floor to have a lower temperature difference, you should OPEN the main floor vents, not close them.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If you want the basement and the main floor to have a lower temperature difference, you should OPEN the main floor vents, not close them.
    I think the theory is that you close ones near the thermostat so that more of the house reaches a uniform temp near the set point before the thermostat kills the heat.
    Much of HVAC is very counter intuitive, though.