Quantcast
Renting a car in Seattle and dropping it off in Vancouver - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Renting a car in Seattle and dropping it off in Vancouver

Default Renting a car in Seattle and dropping it off in Vancouver

I did this once before many years ago by chance but wanted to ask about recent experiences. We know that as Canadians we cannot drive a US plated vehicle into Canada. This also applies to rental cars. Are there rental companies that allow you to specifically request Canadian vehicles so you can drop off in Vancouver having rented them in Seattle airport? Looking to do a YYC-SEA-drive-YVR-YYC trip.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

When I worked in the rental car business it was somewhat common to end up with us plated vehicles in Canada. There's an additional fee, but the rental company allowed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I also worked for a rental car business. But it's not their rules, it's Canadian government rules that don't allow Canadians to cross in or drive US plated vehicles in Canada. If you had a US-issued drivers license you could (showed your US residency.) Otherwise, you risk not being allowed to enter Canada with said vehicle. In fact, I once drove a relative's car with them sitting next to me, the border agent required us to switch for I am not allowed to drive that vehicle in Canada.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Interesting rules...never heard of this. I rented in vancouver and drove to Seattle before, but came back to drop car off in Vancouver again, so it was always plated in Canada. This is interesting, never thought it was a rule.

How do all the Arizona plated uhauls end up in Canada then?

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting rules...never heard of this. I rented in vancouver and drove to Seattle before, but came back to drop car off in Vancouver again, so it was always plated in Canada. This is interesting, never thought it was a rule.
    If you rent a Canada plated car in Vancouver and bring it back to Canada you can. If you rent a Canada plated car in Seattle and bring it back to Canada you can. What you can’t do is drive a US plated car. You certainly can’t drive US plated car across the border into Canada unless you are a US resident or US citizen.

So my question was if rental agencies in Seattle airport carry Canada plated cars that I could drive one way to Canada.

I found this from transport Canada: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...l-usa-1302.htm

Didn't know there was such a rule. About 5 years ago I picked up a US rental car in Montana, drove it back to Calgary to load up supplies for a road trip and returned it in California. There is a big relocation fee for returning Canadian plated car in US and vice versa - it was $1000 on top of whatever the rental cost. If you work for the car rental company they will waive this fee however.