Quantcast
CPS - new SWAT vehicle - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: CPS - new SWAT vehicle

My Ride
    06 EVO IX, 17 RAPTOR,13 JKRU, 18 TH Jeep

Default CPS - new SWAT vehicle

My apologies i can't link the photo in my post, but holy...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...nit/ar-BBVM0GG

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Name:  cps-arv.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  28.0 KB
    'ere ya go.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Looks heavy - storing it in Forest Lawn / Dover should save a bundle on gas.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

Holy smokes. What are they actually expecting to encounter with this thing? I mean unless you have an RPG, you really stand zero chance against something like this... seems like another waste of tax dollars to me.

What size engine would be in that beast?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by CMW403 View Post
    Holy smokes. What are they actually expecting to encounter with this thing? I mean unless you have an RPG, you really stand zero chance against something like this... seems like another waste of tax dollars to me.

Who knows what they will encounter. But Calgary is a city now of 1.? million people. And people are getting weirder. The old one got used quite a few times if the stories I heard were true.

I would rather have it and not need it, and need it and not have it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Just a truck engine pretty much, nothing special - usually 6.7L Turbodiesel or similar from whatever it's based on. The BearCat for example uses a 6.7L Ford Powerstroke Diesel. They aren't fast haha, they just need to move pretty much. Most ARVs weigh around 20,000-30,000+ lbs (that one looks on the bigger side) which is similar to a big pickup truck with a huge payload.

Cost $500K apparently which actually isn't as bad as I expected. It's made by Cambli, a company in Quebec.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-09-2019 at 03:29 PM.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    Who knows what they will encounter. But Calgary is a city now of 1.? million people. And people are getting weirder. The old one got used quite a few times if the stories I heard were true.

I would rather have it and not need it, and need it and not have it.
    From the article:

Last year, the ARV was used in some 500 calls, including an incident in the community of Abbeydale during which an officer was shot.
    Shietttttt haha.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Without knowing the specific stats of the new vehicle, that similar MRAP and other armored vehicles used in the mid east by our forces will protect the occupants from even RPGs to a large extant. There are tons of pics/vids out there of these types of vehicles hit by explosive weapons, vbied or rockets, whatever, and they keep the people inside safe. Sometimes they are degraded, even mobility killed, but the vast majority of the time the occupants survive.

It's not a waste of tax money, you can't expect the L/E or tactical unit guys to solve every potentially violent problem without a mobile system that can repel the vast majority of fire it could expect. There are lots of guys in AB with .50 cal, even 20mm rifles/weapons, not to mention anyone with a bit of knowledge and time can build a pretty powerful bomb or shaped charge even. It's for when nuts get a hold of these types of weapons that LE needs a modern armored vehicle. Is it more armor than even the Tac unit typically needs? Probably, but better to have and not need, than to need and not have, when you're considering all the possible threats they could have to face down.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 04-09-2019 at 03:52 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I think it would sink pretty deep when parked on a lawn.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Couldn’t CPS just borrow one from the forces for a case of beer when they need it?

Don’t we have a few armoured vehicles stationed in Calgary?

Coolness factor aside. It sure does seem like an awful lot of money for something that inevitably will get very little use.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Coolness factor aside. It sure does seem like an awful lot of money for something that inevitably will get very little use.
    As RX7boy pointed out from the article...

Last year, the ARV was used in some 500 calls, including an incident in the community of Abbeydale during which an officer was shot.
    so, the ARV gets used every single day, sometimes twice a day. How much more would it need to be used to be considered being used enough in your books? Granted, it may not be used each of those 500 calls, but there were 500+ calls where it was initially deemed necessary for it to respond.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Couldn’t CPS just borrow one from the forces for a case of beer when they need it?

Don’t we have a few armoured vehicles stationed in Calgary?

Not really, no, the Calgary Highlanders certainly don't have any MRAP or armored vehicles designed to operate in an LE environment. 41 Combat Engs don't have anything suitable either. Plus the time factor is a big problem with that idea, much better from an operationally standpoint to have your asset in your own possession. Trying to borrow things like this for everything, training, real world callouts, etc, wouldn't work IMO.

Most similar MRAPS I've seen weighed around 40k lbs or more. Nowhere near as heavy as an MBT or AFV, but not that light either.

My Ride
    Lariat

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    As RX7boy pointed out from the article...

so, the ARV gets used every single day, sometimes twice a day. How much more would it need to be used to be considered being used enough in your books? Granted, it may not be used each of those 500 calls, but there were 500+ calls where it was initially deemed necessary for it to respond.
    I mean I’m sure they drag it out every chance they get. So would I lol.

I just mean use in that it is actually being used for utility, rather than 99.9% where it is essentially a show of force. I am very interested in these countless incidents that they claim it has been used where it legitimately saved lives (quote from global).

I really was just joking about borrowing an armoured vehicle from the Forces for a case of beer if that wasn’t clear.
    Last edited by killramos; 04-09-2019 at 04:12 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Damn. When CPS SWAT disrespects your whole family, they're going to stay disrespected.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

I'll take the one time 500k hit for endless use over the potential hospital bill for the officers that could have used it.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:54 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
    I would say the “show of force” idea you have would be the minority of usage. The main utility would be a hardened point of cover for officers to be at a closer distance from any barricaded subject where the subject has access to weapons. The closer distance would facilitate the means to be able to negotiate better with the person, would provide a means to get officers closer to a structure for entry, and would even be a means to breach a door or structure.

I know you own several guns. What if you went batshit crazy one day and beat your significant other and told her you’d shoot her in the head as well as any officer or K9 who comes close? Would you expect officers to roll up in explorers and calmly walk up to your front door? Or would you think the safer alternative would be to make use of an ARV?
    A bit dramatic much

I just think the thing is expensive, I don’t have a great sense of what they actually use it for. Lots of hypotheticals where it could be used for. I am more curious about what actual use the last one provided aside from showing up.

I felt like the last one (Knight XV?) was a lot cheaper than that? Checking conquests website they seem to have really gone up in price but that’s for a posh model. They had a ton of financial issues so probably had to bump
    Prices up.

fact.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

A bit dramatic much

I just think the thing is expensive, I don’t have a great sense of what they actually use it for. Lots of hypotheticals where it could be used for. I am more curious about what actual use the last one provided aside from showing up.

I felt like the last one (Knight XV?) was a lot cheaper than that? Checking conquests website they seem to have really gone up in price but that’s for a posh model. They had a ton of financial issues so probably had to bump
    Prices up.
    I think you too proud to admit you made a dumb statement and trying to back it up with weak arguments.

A bit dramatic? That literal scenario probably plays out every day somewhere in Canada, and with Calgary having a 1+ million population, we will have an above average number of these instances. I mean, I can remember last year of at least 3 active shooter situations in Calgary where the CPS had blocked off large areas of communities where the old ARV was used heavily.

But, you are now focusing on price. Well, how about you pick up a badge and a gun, and then pick the vehicle you want to stand behind while some jacked up random takes shots at you with unknown calibre weapons. Because if you won't pick the cheaper option, you sure as hell can't ask them to.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast