Quantcast
CPS - new SWAT vehicle - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: CPS - new SWAT vehicle

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

When you consider that a fully patrol ready PC (guns, radios, computers, etc.) hits the taxpayers at around 100k......500k for this type of utility doesent sound all that bad to be honest.

Also, of the 500 calls last year - many of them were simply to serve high risk warrants.

When the "heavy metal" shows up at your door - its a really bad idea to start beaking off about weapons.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-09-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:49 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A bit dramatic? I was in that exact scenario. ��
    You went postal and threatened to shoot your wife? Fuck that really sucks man.

You guys make it sound like we should be procuring these for all officers, cause you never know / if it only saves one life / think of the children.

As for the question of picking up a badge and standing behind a vehicle, thousands of officers do just that every day. And power to them, I have no problems with police officers or some inane desire to put them in undue harms way but it is the nature of the job.

I have issues with another 6 figure discretionary line item in a city budget that is hemorrhaging cash. Except it’s for the police service, so it’s above reproach question or debate. Carry on.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Looks heavy - storing it in Forest Lawn / Dover should save a bundle on gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    I think it would sink pretty deep when parked on a lawn.
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:50 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Your posts really sum it up. You have no idea what actually happens out there.
    Thanks for showing up to the party bud

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Really though, if your job involved more risk than stubbing your loafers on the edge of your desk or getting a paper cut you’d want a tool that would be available to mitigate unnecessary risk to human life, whether it’s your life or someone else’s. You won’t get it though. Don’t break your nails changing your toner cartridge ��
    Loafers? Always been more of an Oxford guy. I get it though, honest mistake from someone whose shoes do up with Velcro.

Feel better now? Get a fucking grip bud and realize you are nowhere near as special as you think you are. Your neck must be real sore from all that looking down on other people that you do.

fact.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

500k is cheap when you consider a new fire pump truck costs $300k -without- any tools.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    500k is cheap when you consider a new fire pump truck costs $300k -without- any tools.
    I dunno. A lot of truck to a fire truck and I’m sure the pumps and mechanical don’t come cheap. A pumper truck being 300 almost makes me feel like 500 is too much even more. 300ish is more around where I figured a police armoured vehicle like this would land.

Took a look at what CPS’s budget is since I didn’t really understand the scope of where this thing lands. 450 Million ++. That’s real money, no wonder a half million dollar toy seems like nothing to them. But what if’s and safety, so carry on.

fact.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s this smug attitude of yours consistently looking down on police officers in multiple threads on here that irks me. By your reasoning, police shouldn’t have tools or equipment to make their role safer (and safer for citizens) or more efficient because it’s the job they signed up for. Did you know a bomb suit costs roughly $45k? Should police be tackling calls dealing with explosives wearing regular uniforms because in your mind that’s what they signed up for?
    I think everything is a point of debate, especially on a discussion forum. And your immediate jump to insulting me, or even having the gall to say I have the potential to be some kind of psychotic wife beating mall shooter because of hobbies I enjoy ( pretty sure I don't have to point out the irony of this considering what I presume is your profession), just proves your inability to have a civil conversation.

Smug attitude? That’s all you have exhibited in this entire thread. Grow the fuck up and welcome to the real world you claim to know so much about where people get to question you. Maybe rethink your ludicrous statement that I have some kind of consistent anti police officer bias across this forum. I think I have far more than an average respect for people in the profession, that doesn’t mean I won’t call people out for their attitudes towards others or my questions and debates on laws and policies and the place of law enforcement in society.

I however have no interest in being bullied into silence by you and your assumptions of who gets to have an opinion on a topic or question motives and justifications of where tax dollars are spent. Because I couldn’t give 2 fucks less about what you think of me.
    Last edited by killramos; 04-09-2019 at 06:36 PM.

fact.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:22 PM.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    or even having the gall to say I have the potential to be some kind of psychotic wife beating mall shooter because of hobbies I enjoy
    You can live your life however you like so either take this advice or don't, but you should take another run at reading that post because I don't think you quite got it on the first lap.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    You can live your life however you like so either take this advice or don't, but you should take another run at reading that post because I don't think you quite got it on the first lap.
    Yea it wasn't me who decided to make up the hypothetical scenario where I beat my wife and threaten to shoot her in the head. That was the other clown when i questioned the cost of CPS's toy.

fact.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Yea it wasn't me who decided to make up the hypothetical scenario where I beat my wife and threaten to shoot her in the head. That was the other clown when i questioned the cost of CPS's toy.
    Right on. Have a good one then.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

A bit dramatic much

I just think the thing is expensive, I don’t have a great sense of what they actually use it for. Lots of hypotheticals where it could be used for. I am more curious about what actual use the last one provided aside from showing up.

I felt like the last one (Knight XV?) was a lot cheaper than that? Checking conquests website they seem to have really gone up in price but that’s for a posh model. They had a ton of financial issues so probably had to bump
    Prices up.
    $500k is actually a pretty good deal. Some similar MRAP/ARV type vehicles that US departments use are upwards of $700K USD, and you can easily look that up.

The old vehicle they are decommissioning was getting old, and getting replacement parts for even regular maintenance was apparently very difficult. Logistics is very important with vehicles such as this, and if you can't get even simple parts, then unexpected mechanical issues will be even harder to deal with. Cambli is a Canadian company that builds a lot of armored vehicles, and makes models right across the spectrum. Buying a Canadian made vehicle= smart decision IMO, and again, that price is pretty competitive.

A couple companies I worked for in the mid to later 2000s operated a lot of various armored vehicles. This was right around the time that the USA got serious about up armoring their softer skin vehicles, and right around the time when MRAP type vehicles started showing up in small numbers. We had BMW armored cars which were level 7 armor, tricked out motors, steel armor around the cabin and armored glass rated to stop up to 30 cal armor piercing, and had stopped DshK rounds once. These vehicles were pretty expensive, I know Triple Canopy was given some that had been "seized" by US forces from the locals, and the similar vehicles the company bought were well over 200 grand US at that time. Armored trucks like Suburbans were even more.

Even civilian models of a Suburban armored truck are over $150k USD, and they aren't even close to the capability and protection the new CPS ARV gives.

https://www.lascointl.com/vehicles/804.htm

Considering what I know my companies paid for armored vehicles over a decade ago, $500k CAD is a very reasonable price to pay for the capability the new truck gives. Also considering the logistics issues the old unit had, the yearly cost of keeping the new vehicle in service will drop as well, especially in terms of the unit's uptime/availability.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 04-10-2019 at 12:54 AM.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:51 PM.

My Ride
    2011 Chrarger, 2018 F150

I am wondering if the cost could be potentially shared with the surrounding communities if they don't have access to one like Airdrie as an example. They might not need it as much or at all but if there was a bit of cost sharing involved, it would reduce the price to the city.. which would most likely mean another ring or some crap.

Yup, Anti-tank molten copper RPG round would make quick work of it. Not that its a regular type of thing.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast