Quantcast
Furniture recommendations - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Furniture recommendations

My Ride
    Blue boy

Default Furniture recommendations

Hey Beyond, going to be furnishing my house soon and looking for furniture recommendations (living room, dining and bedroom) that I won't have to replace in 2 years time. Have looked at the Brick and Ashley products, they just seem cheap and don't look like they will last too long. Any suggestions for decent quality furniture that wont break the bank? Costco?

My Ride
    FB6

I've had decent experiences with Structube, its relatively cheap for mid century modern style furniture. They have a lot of real wood and wood veneer furniture that are quite nice for the price. I find the welds on anything metal poor, but for the most part it's not very noticeable. Upholstered furniture from them also seem alright.

I have a leather couch from Ikea that I really like, Ikea's more expensive lines are actually decent. I also have an entire closet of Ikea's PAX system. Their accessories for that are awesome.

I also have some pieces from Wayfair, you get what you pay for with a lot of Wayfair items, read the reviews and you should be okay. Wayfair has adopted a amazon-esque customer service where they just believe you. I ended up with two of the same desk as the first one arrived with a dented corner, they just sent another right a way.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

We ordered a custom sectional couch (picked the orientation/size and fabric) from Urban Barn. They have 15% off custom furniture from time to time. Built out of BC and is super comfortable. Not cheap but shitty sofas suck and don't last.

Kitchen island stools are also from Urban Barn, picked up on sale for 20% or something. Solid welded metal legs, should last as long as we need/want them.

We picked up a massive oak dining table from CF Interiors (they have decent enough stuff when its on sale), it was a display model that was on sale so we threw them an offer and they accepted. Its a solid slab of oak (so it can be refinished down the road) with powdercoated metal legs. Should last forever.

Picked up knock off Eames dining chairs from Structube. They're cheap and disposable/replacement if or when they break. But they were hella cheap and we needed 8 of them. Will upgrade and kijiji these down the road. Most of the Structure stuff is trash. Ikea quality but more expensive.

TV stand is IKEA, will last long enough and was under $200.

Dining shelf hutch is Ikea, will last long enough and was under $200.

Ordered a coffee table from Article (https://www.article.com/product/3633...r-coffee-table) again when it went on sale. Solid metal legs and solid wood top (which can be refinished down the road if need be).

Fucking furniture is expensive. We only buy shit on sale (cause it all goes on sale eventually) and try to get good quality stuff that should last. Couple piece are Ikea which is good enough for now. Plus its super easy to sell Ikea shit on kijiji when we decide to upgrade that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've had decent experiences with Structube, its relatively cheap for mid century modern style furniture. They have a lot of real wood and wood veneer furniture that are quite nice for the price. I find the welds on anything metal poor, but for the most part it's not very noticeable. Upholstered furniture from them also seem alright.
    I wish I had better things to say about Structube. Their furniture is quite good looking but I found the quality to be far worse than Ikea. The drawers weren't level so none of them would close. I ended up having to drill my own holes in.

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by sneek View Post
    I wish I had better things to say about Structube. Their furniture is quite good looking but I found the quality to be far worse than Ikea. The drawers weren't level so none of them would close. I ended up having to drill my own holes in.
    Interesting, I don't really have anything from structube with drawers other than night stands, but they came fully assembled so no issues with the drawers.

I have a bed, ottoman, dining table, cloth sofa, swivel chairs, coffee table, tv stand, and night stands from them. Overall, I find them good for the price, solid 3.5 or maybe 4 out of 5 in my books.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

We have 8 of these chairs:

https://www.structube.com/en/eiffel-...0-11?pid=10749

and guaranteed one (or more) will implode on somebody at some point in the near future. But they look cool! haha

My Ride
    FB6

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    We have 8 of these chairs:

https://www.structube.com/en/eiffel-...0-11?pid=10749

and guaranteed one (or more) will implode on somebody at some point in the near future. But they look cool! haha
    Those are pretty classic, my friend bought the real Herman Miller ones on sale at $350 each. I'd say paying ~10% is great!

I had the exact same criteria, all I cared about was getting high quality, solid, well built (preferably in Canada/USA) furniture for a fair price. By far the best stuff I found, based on that criteria, was custom furniture from Urban Barn. Wasn't that expensive at all, built like a tank, built in Vancouver, and has a 15 year stain warranty. As a bonus I got to pick the fabrics, which all had wear ratings, and multiple levels of cushion firmness which actually makes a big difference for how comfortable a couch for example is to sit on for a long time.

Virtually every big-box store I went to (Brick, Ashley, Structube, Leons, TheBay, Homesense, Eq3, IKEA, JYSK, the plethora of cheap furniture stores in Deerfoot Meadows, etc.) was very poor quality (IMO) unless you wanted to spend huge dollars, like $5K+ for a couch at Bondars or Revolve.

Structube was low quality by my standards, based on the time I was shopping and the things I looked at. I would echo the sentiment above that it is no better than things you would find at IKEA. The general theme I noticed with a lot of these stores like Structube, eq3, JYSK, etc. is that it looks really good on the staged showroom floor, but it's built pretty poorly, so you're just paying for the style.

At Urban Barn I think I paid $1500 for a 3-seat chaise lounge couch and $700 for a "nest" type chair and they are built far better than anything else I found in that price range at any of the other stores I went to.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-11-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Try Eq3 i got most of my furniture from there.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

We bought most of stuff from Maria Thomas(before they relocated), Crate and Barrel and Country Living Furnishings. But there was definitely better quality items within the same store. Some items were overpriced for the build quality, and others were a 'steal'.

Not sure how we came across it, but we got several items from www.article.com when we moved into our new home. Great quality, and pricing wasn't terrible for some of the items. Aside from that, structube, west elm, and revolve furniture.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Signature Fine Furniture makes great quality tables, chairs and anything wood related -- Built to last generations.

A friend of ours in Edmonton started making various tables as well, very modern and well done. Example: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...28&oe=5D36EDF9
    Last edited by msommers; 04-12-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    TRD Pro

If shopping at Revolve.. first go to their outlet. And by Outlet what they mean is all the garbage that was damaged or returned on warranty. It certainly scared me away from shopping there upon seeing piles of the same model falling apart.

While I realize the style may not be for everyone, try looking at some of the second hand mid century shops.. Louche Mileau, Reclaim Vintage & Bex Vintage. Its furniture that has lasted 50+ years already and with simple re-upholstery it is built well enough to last another 50.. which is something most other shops cant advertise. It does take a longer time to outfit your house, so you do have to be patient.
    Last edited by R-Audi; 04-12-2019 at 09:08 AM.

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

Went to Ashley furniture on 32nd, they are having a closeout sale. Some decent pieces there, a lot of crap too. Purchased a cabinet Reg $1399, on sale for $899, was able to get it for $699 plus free ship

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?