Thread: What cars can tow 3500lbs?

My Ride
    Silverado

I've never heard of a half ton that can tow 15,000 lbs

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by hampstor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You need to tow it with the wagon. Granted, those little tires on that tent trailer probably wouldn't last long.
    Like this?

Name:  Cv8tGDr.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  60.0 KB
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Audi

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Like this?

Name:  Cv8tGDr.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  60.0 KB
    You sir are now everyone's hero.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Here is a comprehensive list from the UK that shows all cars with towing capacities up to 1800kg (3900lb).
    http://www.towingcapacity.co.uk/weight-limits/1800kg/

A few notable cars include:
    - Audi A3/4/5/6
    - BMW 3/4/5
    - Mazda 6
    - Mercedes C/E
    - Subaru Forester
    - VW CC/Golf/Passat
    - Volvo S60/S80/V60/V70/V90/XC70

The list for 1500kg (3300lbs) has a few interesting ones as well:
    - BMW 1/2
    - Chrysler Sebring Convertible
    - Ford Focus
    - Honda Accord/ Civic
    - Lexus IS
    - Mazda 3/626
    - Mercedes A/B/CLA/CLK
    - Mini Clubman
    - Nissan Maxima
    - Toyota Camry
    - VW Jetta
    - Volvo C30/ C70/ S40
    There is absolutely no way the majority of those can legally tow that much weight here. Most are rated for 1000 lbs max in NA.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    There is absolutely no way the majority of those can legally tow that much weight here. Most are rated for 1000 lbs max in NA.
    What is the limiting factor for a vehicles ability to tow? Do you have an example of a vehicle listed on the website I provided that doesn't have a matching rate on a North American site? I find this topic quite interesting and I'm curious if this is strictly a marketing strategy between the two markets or if there are legitimate limiting factors with the vehicles.

I looked into the Chrysler Sebring as that seems like a very unlikely candidate and I found another comprehensive list that shows very specific models and years for towing capacity. Although a majority show a lower rating there are still a handful that support more then 1000lbs including a convertible rated for 3300lbs. I do understand that there are certain engine options etc that are not offered in both markets but I doubt that the specific vehicles and models shown in the lists I provided are false.

Sebring tow ratings:
    http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capaci...model1=Sebring
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

This is what I found too before I made this post...a lot of UK sites, was not entirely sure if specs were different for Canadian markets.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

UK published towing specs are usually way, way higher than the North American published specs. I'm not sure why that is, but it's been that way for as long as I can remember. Maybe due to lower speed limits for vehicles towing caravans and whatnot.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Who left me negative rep for the unloaded diesel with tow mirrors comment haha

I think it comes down to people over there also generally knowing how to drive and what the limits are a lot more than over hear. My grandpa used to tow a ~24 foot camper with his Mondeo ST220 over there no problems. Their recreation trailers are generally much lighter than over near.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

From what I've seen in the NE, a 1988 Toyota Corolla can haul just about anything.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

This was such a missed opportunity for an OP's mom joke.

My Ride

What is the limiting factor for a vehicles ability to tow? Do you have an example of a vehicle listed on the website I provided that doesn't have a matching rate on a North American site? I find this topic quite interesting and I'm curious if this is strictly a marketing strategy between the two markets or if there are legitimate limiting factors with the vehicles.

I looked into the Chrysler Sebring as that seems like a very unlikely candidate and I found another comprehensive list that shows very specific models and years for towing capacity. Although a majority show a lower rating there are still a handful that support more then 1000lbs including a convertible rated for 3300lbs. I do understand that there are certain engine options etc that are not offered in both markets but I doubt that the specific vehicles and models shown in the lists I provided are false.

Sebring tow ratings:
    http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capaci...model1=Sebring
    https://rvcanadaottawa.ca/towing-guide/

UK towing capacity means squat here. You have to take into account payload, which on most cars sometimes isn't even high enough to fill 4 seats with adults.
    Last edited by ShermanEF9; 04-15-2019 at 08:15 PM.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

https://rvcanadaottawa.ca/towing-guide/

UK towing capacity means squat here. You have to take into account payload, which on most cars sometimes isn't even high enough to fill 4 seats with adults.

The list you provided is incomplete and primarily pertains to trucks and SUV’s. One of the only vehicles I can find on your list that is remotely close to a car, as per the OP’s inquiry, is the Subaru Forester and there are no details on which model or trim it is. The tow rating is stated at 2400lbs. As per this much more comprehensive list from the UK, there are some Forester models rated at 2400lbs while others are rated as high as 3968lbs. Neither list is incorrect but the lists i’m finding from the UK are much more complete since there is a greater market for towing with cars there.

http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capaci...odel1=Forester

Why would UK towing capacities for the same exact model and trim for a car offered in North America mean squat here? What’s different about the vehicle? Payload? Do you have an example of a vehicle that has a lower payload then what would work for the OP’s inquiry of 3500 lbs towing capacity? I would relate this to a class 2 hitch which is rated to tow 3500lbs and a tongue weight of 300lbs. I don’t agree that payload is a significant factor limiting a vehicles towing capacity in relation to towing 3500lbs.
    Last edited by 90_Shelby; 04-15-2019 at 10:35 PM.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    From what I've seen in the NE, a 1988 Toyota Corolla can haul just about anything.
    This. Tow rating is just a number that lawyers set where it's most likely not sued. lol

Jokes aside, I would assume insurance may not pay out if you get into a wreck and determine you are towing above limit?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This. Tow rating is just a number that lawyers set where it's most likely not sued. lol

Jokes aside, I would assume insurance may not pay out if you get into a wreck and determine you are towing above limit?
    I have never heard of that happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I have never heard of that happening.
    So Corolla it is.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I found a lot of the vehicles that were used for towing in the UK were Volvos generally. My neighbor had one for his caravan.

Another factor that is missing on here is fuel. Im willing to bet a lot of those Euro specs would have diesel engines. Its not economically viable to have a petrol vehicle if you tow regularly and you would not get torque necessary to pull. Its not impossible but not generally viable.

The NA market is different. In today's NA market why would you have car tow? People like bigger stuff and people have gotten fatter. But to answer OP's question, and its a good one that visits this area. I would have put my money on a Dodge Magnum or a Volvo.

The following educational documentary gives a good insight too.

My Ride

The list you provided is incomplete and primarily pertains to trucks and SUV’s. One of the only vehicles I can find on your list that is remotely close to a car, as per the OP’s inquiry, is the Subaru Forester and there are no details on which model or trim it is. The tow rating is stated at 2400lbs. As per this much more comprehensive list from the UK, there are some Forester models rated at 2400lbs while others are rated as high as 3968lbs. Neither list is incorrect but the lists i’m finding from the UK are much more complete since there is a greater market for towing with cars there.

http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capaci...odel1=Forester

Why would UK towing capacities for the same exact model and trim for a car offered in North America mean squat here? What’s different about the vehicle? Payload? Do you have an example of a vehicle that has a lower payload then what would work for the OP’s inquiry of 3500 lbs towing capacity? I would relate this to a class 2 hitch which is rated to tow 3500lbs and a tongue weight of 300lbs. I don’t agree that payload is a significant factor limiting a vehicles towing capacity in relation to towing 3500lbs.
    NA and UK rate differently, and because we live in NA, we must follow NA ratings. as per the subaru website:

2019 Subaru Forester towing capacity: 1,500 pounds

As per what i can find with the Honda accord: 1,000 pounds.

as someone who tows regularly, i would NOT feel comfortable towing even 3500 pounds with either of those vehicles. I would maybe consider it with the Forester, but thats a BIG maybe.
    Last edited by ShermanEF9; 04-17-2019 at 10:50 PM.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

NA and UK rate differently, and because we live in NA, we must follow NA ratings. as per the subaru website:

2019 Subaru Forester towing capacity: 1,500 pounds

As per what i can find with the Honda accord: 1,000 pounds.

as someone who tows regularly, i would NOT feel comfortable towing even 3500 pounds with either of those vehicles. I would maybe consider it with the Forester, but thats a BIG maybe.
    The Forester is a good example and after looking at the Canadian and UK sites for the exact same vehicle it clearly shows a discrepancy. Canada 1500lbs, UK 4400lbs. I was surprised that the UK version also runs a CVT transmission which I thought would be the limiting factor, ultimately the cars are the exact same between markets.

More "research" aka googling and I found a good article that covers why there are different ratings for the two markets.

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611

To boil it all down, the reason that American vehicles are rated to tow less is based on a difference methodology for tow safety.

US tow safety prioritizes a naturally safe dynamic situation so that more people can pull at freeway speeds with less likelihood of incident. There is no doubt that using this method results in an inherently safer tow situation as it relates to vehicle dynamics.

UK tow safety allows for the possibility to carry more weight, but erring on the side of caution with far less safety margin in respect to the physics.

Bottom line - Can a tow vehicle pull a heavier trailer there than is rated for here in the US? Yes, with some provisions:

1. The closer the trailer weight gets to the vehicle weight the slower you will need to drive.

2. DO NOT exceed 65 mph with a tongue weight in the 4-7% range, this is a guaranteed way to sway and 65 is the max, go slower in regards to #1.

3. None of this takes into account crosswinds, cooling systems, hp, or braking effectiveness (or legality).

My take on this, North American drivers are assumed worse drivers then in the Eurpoean market, so they build in a greater safety margin to discourage towing.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Speeds in north America are higher too. People here expect to be able to tow at 120km/h. I think folks in Europe accept slower speeds when towing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    I've never heard of a half ton that can tow 15,000 lbs
    They all can. All that matters is payload and axle ratings. Nothing else matters. 10% tongue weight is 1500lbs payload on a 15k lb trailer. Now, SHOULD you do this? Probably not. CAN you do it and stay within requirements? Yes.

Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating may matter, but I am unsure if that has any LEGAL ramifications with DOT (and yes, its not actually DOT but everyone calls it that).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2