Quantcast
Cheap Kijiji Tires Experience ? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cheap Kijiji Tires Experience ?

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Default Cheap Kijiji Tires Experience ?

Currently looking at buying out the leases on my car and selling privately, only thing is I need some new all seasons as they were worn out last year. Car currently sits on winters (2015 Lexus is250). Anyone have any experience with this? Just want some rubbers on the car for the sale !

Let me know what you guys have had for experience or any ideas you have.

Thanks!

My Ride
    2002 jeep tj

im running a set of 275 45 20s on my bmw x5 from that one seller on Kijiji with the hard wood back ground, this will be my 2d summer with them, so far they are holding up they are all seasons and are very quite on the road too, even wear so far at the time I think I got the set of 4 for like 480 bucks at the time

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I bought a set of winters a long time ago for the wife, she is still driving them. If it's a reputable brand and still has thread left and no holes..why does it matter if it came from Kijiji or elsewhere? A tire is a tire, unless there is some shady underworld on Kijiji selling no-name Chinese tires that I don't know about.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Would you not be further ahead just having shitty tires and discounting by that much? Price sells cars, not condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Thanks for the responses - here is some info to clarify

Bought some new winter continentals worth ~1k last year. Maybe would be better off getting these cheap new no name tires off kijiji and selling my winters separately. Either way with temps turning up I’m not sure buyers will be super pumped to buy a car in April that only comes with winters.

Sounds like some people have had luck with the no names off kijiji and I could likely get a set for around 400 bucks !

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Factor in cost to swap them onto your wheels too. ~$100 or so.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I buy tons of used tires on kijiji. Some good deals to be had, got a set of 99% tread 265/60/20 Goodyears recently for $250 from a guy near Strathmore. Just make sure you inspect them for damage and know if tread is actually useable and a good depth or not.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I've bought, probably total of 40 tires off Kijiji in the last 10 years and only once was there an issue - and that was with 1 tire I purchased for 20$ (saw the sidewall hole before mounting).

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Take the Kijiji sellers tread depth with a grain of salt. Most will tell you a percentage of tread left but you have to consider amount of usable tread vs tread when new. And the bare minimum tread depth is 2/32".
    So a tire with 10/32" new and is currently at 5/32" isn't 50% tread remaining-it's only 37.5%. It only has 3/32" usable tread remaining. Use that as a negotiating tactic.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Most kijiji sells will not measure from the wear bars either.

I'm very successfully running kijiji tires right now on my truck.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I never buy new tires when practically new tires sre available on Kijiji. Got 245/75R17 michelin LTX on the truck right now, were takeoffs, paid $400 for them (lt rated 10 ply).

In OPs situation, even 50% used name brand tires would be good. As Slow mentioned, price sells cars. As long as the tires on the car have enough tread to last a season, buyers won't care (and if they do, run away from that sale, thats the kind of person who calls you a week later with every.little thing that isn't perfect)

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I made a profit off the only winter tires I bought off kijiji, guy sold them for $250 with steelies that all looked brand new and he even delivered them (super nice guy), I used them for 1 season then got a new car, sold them for $400 only cuz they wouldn't fit on my new one.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I dont think you can paint Kijiji with a single brush like that. You are buying a product used and the seller isn't always going to be truthful about any issues.

I think you will generally be fine if you inspect them carefully but you always run the risk of an issue. You will obviously not likely get any support from the seller if there are issues so you need to weigh that potential against the savings.

Also check the manufacture date since the tires are likely older. I know you plan on selling right away but it is best not to be selling unsafe vehicles.

Used tires can be OK if you know how to inspect them - lots of people on Kijiji try to unload damaged tires though because the average buyer is not at all thorough. It's also possible they don't know about a particular issue. I'd rather buy cheap new tires than used tires of any kind, but YMMV.

Also the instant you take them away, if you notice something then it's too late.

If you're just buying rubber you will probably need to pay someone with a machine to mount them too.

If you're just turning around and selling it though it doesn't matter too much - I'd go for cheap new tires so you can advertise new tires.

My Ride
    Grimace

When I had my G35 I got used kijiji winters twice. Both times it took me a year to notice that the front and rear were same brand but different model tires. Overall it was OK, but it is best to inspect in daylight or with a flashlight. One tire had a screw in it, but it was through the tread only and not into the actual tire so it was OK to remove and no patch required. Always used a tread depth gauge though. I just have a cheapo one from cambodian tire which works fine.

My Ride
    LNF

I know of a few people that have done the opposite.. buy new tires that are discounted or sale items.. run them for a season or two and then sell them on Kijiji for close to the same price as they paid..

I picked up a set of Nokian winter tires. Like new condition, I paid 450$ vs 1000 new. Could not complain.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

I ditch most of my OEM tires on kijiji for next to nothing. Usually mileage from the dealership home...
    Always plan on upgrading anyways and may as well let them go cheap, help someone out and get them out of my garage quick.