Quantcast
Questions about google home - problems with family plan - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Questions about google home - problems with family plan

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Questions about google home - problems with family plan

Hey guys, having a little issue at the house with our google home devices. If kid A is listening to a playlist in room A, and Kid B requests a playlist in room B, the google home speaker in Room A often (but not always) stops playing with the message that the account is being used on another device. This might make sense if we were running the whole house on one persons plan, but we pay for the google play music "family plan", which I think should mean we can listen on every device simultaneously.

What am I missing here? Anyone have experience using multiple google accounts to play music through google play music on google home or google home mini devices? It's 100% google stuff, but I'm baffled.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 04-15-2019 at 04:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Have you tried setting up each device on its own with its own account. Kid A gets one speaker with separate google account, Kid B gets another. Then get them to train their voices to each of their own device so that there isn't any confusion.

I know GH/GHM allows you to recognize different voices so that might work. And then if you want command of all devices in the house under one account as well, I think you can choose to group them in the GH app.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

If you group the speakers, they can all play the same thing at the same time.

If each needs to play something separate then you need
    -each user has their own Google account
    -each user has their own music account (I.e. spotify) though these can be paid on the same plan, linked to their Google account
    -each user and their voice model needs to be added to the "smart home" so that it can differentiate different users

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Had a little online chat with the google support people, and may have figured out the issue. The google home devices don't recognize google accounts for children under 13 years of age, so anytime the kids are using the google home, it's picking one of the parents accounts to use, and each account can only play one thing at a time no matter what account you have. Once the kids are over 13, this problem vanishes and their accounts can be recognized by the google home devices. Kids, they grow up so fast, that might happen really soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    If each needs to play something separate then you need
    -each user has their own Google account and be over 13 years of age to link to the google home devices
    -each user has their own music account (I.e. spotify) though these can be paid on the same plan, linked to their Google account
    -each user and their voice model needs to be added to the "smart home" so that it can differentiate different users
    With that small addition, this seems correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?