Quantcast
Can someone untangle the web that is the Toronto real estate board data status? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Can someone untangle the web that is the Toronto real estate board data status?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Default Can someone untangle the web that is the Toronto real estate board data status?

At the tail end of last year, my understanding is that treb was told by the Supreme Court that their appeal to keep data (including sold prices) locker down wasn’t going to be heard. It seems like accessing the data was challenging in November, and I just saw this article pop up about a company having a permanent injunction put on them for leveraging the data...

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/treb-sec...data-1.1246093

Any of the local real estate gurus have insight?
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    '21 BMW X5 X40i mSport

My understanding as an outsider, in a nutshell: TREB previously restricted sales data and histories from appearing on TREB member (agent/brokerage) websites, even password protected sites. The Competition Bureau case now requires them to allow this, and the data is still owned and protected by TREB through the use of licenses. Mongohouse was not a TREB member and obtained the data through scraping or other illegitimate methods, thus the lawsuit to shut it down.

My Ride
    Ford F150

The sold price data is still restricted to VOWs last I heard. You need clients to log in to a site to see sold data. You can't use it on a public site or for marketing purposes. It's separate from the IDX data agreement.

TREB of course is a cluster fck and their MLS data is no better. Ancient RETS system. I build a real estate site using RETS integration for Toronto realtor and it was a nightmare. I won't be touching MLS ever again.

Here's a decent write up about it. https://medium.com/@patrick.arlia/na...e-522b728b4009
    I can eat more hot wings than you.