Quantcast
Crankset and bottom bracket selection - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Crankset and bottom bracket selection

Default Crankset and bottom bracket selection

Looking to build up this frame set I have, which comes with a BBright 24 bottom bracket. Is the only thing I need to worry about when choosing a crankset whether it’s a 24mm spindle? Or are there other potential compatibility issues when pairing bb and crankset?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I can't speak for all cranks, but based on ones I've researched or used in the past, this is what I've concluded:

- (at least some) SRAM cranks/BBs are 24mm on the drive side and 22mm on the non-drive side, but you can get adapters to fill in that extra 2mm to fit in non-SRAM road bottom brackets

- While FSA spindle diameters are technically 24mm, I think they're slightly thicker than Shimano spindles by like a hundredth of a mm. I put an FSA crank into a Shimano bottom bracket and had to really force it in. Then I couldn't get it out no matter how hard I hammered away at the non-drive side for like 10 minutes and two separate attempts. Fortunately I also happen to have a wrench-type bottom bracket remover so I was able to get the crank out after I unscrewed the non-drive side cup and put a bit of force into the crank. Admittedly, that was a last ditch desperation move and I'm surprised it even worked haha

- some manufacturers' road spindle lengths are slightly longer than others and may require the need for spacers if you're mixing and matching BB's and cranks, though I don't recall which models and/or makes exactly. It might actually be FSA that makes slightly longer spindles.

I think, generally speaking, you're pretty safe with compatibility with the exception of FSA being the odd one out, though it might just be certain models/series.

Are there any cranks you're eying specifically?

Thanks nutz. Was looking at a set of Vision Trimax as I can find them new in all black and relatively cheap, but might they’re pigs at 900g given it’s actually a TT crankset. So might just stick with Shimano as I know it’ll fit my bb, just not a huge fan of the way R8000/R9100 looks aesthetically.

Name:  FF427B48-22B4-4999-8547-D18531388A87.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  59.5 KB

If I could get my hands on a FC-9000 I would consider that. The SRAM Red cranksets look good and are pretty light, but with that groupset still being pretty expensive, I’ll probably stay away from that unless I can overcome my ocdness and mix a SRAM crankset with what will probably be a Shimano groupset.

Just want to know what my options are for a 24mm spindle, and it looks to be somewhat limited as most are bb30 these days, otherwise I’m pretty open. But after reading your post I might just stick with Shimano so I don’t have to think about potential compatibility issues

All mainstream cranks other than SRAM GXP and SRAM DUB are either a straight 24mm or 30mm spindle, as nutz said the gxp taper down on the non drive side and DUB are 28.99. I wouldn't bother trying to run GXP spindles in a non GXP specific BB though as it will most likely creak and be a little sloppy.

If you have the BB already then just go with something that is a 24mm spindle and you should be fine.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just want to know what my options are for a 24mm spindle, and it looks to be somewhat limited as most are bb30 these days, otherwise I’m pretty open. But after reading your post I might just stick with Shimano so I don’t have to think about potential compatibility issues
    I like the previous version of the Rotor 3D or 3D24 cranks, but they're not as widely used so it's hard to find useful information about them. Plus the exchange rate is so bad now, they've gone up $100 since I was looking at them last year. And yeah, like you said the 30mm cranks are much more abundant.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't bother trying to run GXP spindles in a non GXP specific BB though as it will most likely creak and be a little sloppy.
    That's good to know as I was looking at some GXP cranks but never found any at a price I was willing to pay. Even went as far as getting one of those adapters just in case I found one.

I've got a set of the Rotor 3D24 cranks on another bike I have, and I've always had issues with the shifting going into big ring. Not sure if it has more to do with cable stretch or the crankset itself, but pretty annoying when I spend 10-15 minutes trying to shift into big ring and can't. Weird thing is, I've had this bike for 3 years now and it still happens occasionally and is intermittent.