Quantcast
2019 Calgary International Auto & Truck Show - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Calgary International Auto & Truck Show

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Default 2019 Calgary International Auto & Truck Show

A little surprised there isn't a thread on this already (or maybe I just can't find it). Went down last night, attendance has to be way down from previous years. Overall I was disappointed, the displays seemed sparse. The upside of low attendance is I could spend as much time as I wanted in each car without having three people waiting for you to get out. The absence of BMW & MB were notable, I wonder if they'll regret that decision? I still find this kind of event valuable because there can be vehicles that seem to check all the boxes when researching online but sometimes when you get behind the wheel something just doesn't seem right and that was the Genesis G70 for me yesterday. My research tells me it's the perfect next car for me but I think it's off the list now. Anyone else have any surprises while down there?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Silverado

We went down to look at crossovers for the Mrs. A lot of options in the market. Liked the Atlas quite a bit. Also liked the highlander but how can a vehicle in 2019 not have Android auto, so it's probably off the list.

I sat in the g70 for a while. Liked it quite a bit.

Practically the only people who talked to me wanted us to sign up for 'contests'

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Soent about 8 hours there. No real salespeople approached me but could tell people were being annoyed by me poking around under hoods, pointing things out, getting under vehicles etc.

One of the 2019 Rams had leaking shocks and the diffs were already paintless and rusty. The Hellcat Redeye they had was $120k which seems very pricey to me. Industry panel gaps appear to be getting better however Alfa is still a disaster. Infiniti’s paint quality is atrocious. Porsche has some questionable button feel and plastic quality on some models. I liked the door sensor in the rear doors of the iPace that alerts you if you might hit the door opening it. I also really liked the functional hoodscoop throwback to the C-X75. The iPace is the only electric vehicle I have any interest in. The rear seat side window view on the new Mazda 3 is very claustrophobic. Tacoma and Ranger rear seat space is very poor. The driving position in the Veloster N is really really good. Very excited to see if they bring the i30N (Elantra) over. My 6’3” friend said he was comfortable in the third row of the Expedition. GMs multi function tailgate is a nice design but has flaws. As per usual the same sassy cunt I’ve seen in that booth for the past ten years went at it with me when I pointed out flaws.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Gonna head down there today? is it best to just buy tickets on-site, or ?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A little surprised there isn't a thread on this already (or maybe I just can't find it). Went down last night, attendance has to be way down from previous years. Overall I was disappointed, the displays seemed sparse. The upside of low attendance is I could spend as much time as I wanted in each car without having three people waiting for you to get out. The absence of BMW & MB were notable, I wonder if they'll regret that decision? I still find this kind of event valuable because there can be vehicles that seem to check all the boxes when researching online but sometimes when you get behind the wheel something just doesn't seem right and that was the Genesis G70 for me yesterday. My research tells me it's the perfect next car for me but I think it's off the list now. Anyone else have any surprises while down there?
    Last time I want was in 2007 - and I wanted to drool over the new Civic and was not disappointed. But it seems like cars are becoming more and more like phones/appliances and younge buyers just care about tech.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Really impressed with the new Mazda designs, if the new 3 had a manual with AWD I'd seriously consider it.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    attendance has to be way down from previous years.
    Easter weekend seems like a bad one to hold it. Lots of people out of town, and the streets seem empty.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yeah I was really wanting to go but Easter weekend is a total bust for me
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Heard BMW and Benz were not there so didnt bother going as those tend to be the only brands we buy.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Name:  IMG_20190421_161146_370.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  80.9 KB

Went down, pretty sure I found my next truck. Now I gotta find a dealer with one in stock with my options.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    Really impressed with the new Mazda designs, if the new 3 had a manual with AWD I'd seriously consider it.
    I agree. Their interiors have taken a step up as well.

To be honest, not many of the cars wowed me. I really like the new techcentric interiors on the Audi A6 thru to A8, and dig the automated side steps on the trucks but overall seems like the manufacturers are pumping out largely evolutionary models.

For real man?

That is fucking hideous.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Word on the street is Genesis bailed on showing the 2020 G90. They left the Montreal model that they debuted in Feb back east somewhere. They have also officially pushed the next gen G-80 (Canadian spec) to MY 2021 which is a major bummer. I assume the GV80 will follow suit.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    2014 Fit Sport

I spent a couple hours there on Friday and did a targeted tour to hit what I wanted to see. I thought the Supra looked better in person than in photos. It was a bit disappointing that the CTR wasn’t accessible as I would have liked to sit in it as well. I was able to sit in the Bullitt Mustang and thought I would like it better.

My Ride
    BB6

This was the first time in 17 years that I missed it. Who thought that hosting it on Easter long weekend would be a good idea...

I left disappointed with the lack of MB/BMW as i had hoped to shop a 5 series/E-Class. I also wanted to fiddle with the new heavy duty's from GMC and Dodge but they have them both roped off like they were exotics.

It was the first time i have physically sat in the new navigator and am thoroughly impressed. However it took me almost a half an hour to get into it because some white homies were blasting ganster rap and taking up the vehicle.

All in all, it was a good show.

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

I found my next car in the Volvo V60. Otherwise the show was boring overall.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    Nice choice. Really appealing package.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    A friend has been leasing those for almost a decade now, he is super happy with them, and his sales guy has been giving him some awesome repeat owner deals.

Disappointing not to see MB/BMW there but oh well. Would have really liked to check out the A class.

Biggest surprises for me were:

Jeep Gladiator Truck at $65K LOL. That was one of the biggest pieces of crap I sat in at the entire show and I honestly thought it was ~$30K like other Jeeps which are already overpriced.

Jeep (Rubicon)? $60K. See above.

Chevy Blazer RS at $55K was also a joke IMO.

And finally the Jeep Trackhawk at over $120K was, IMHO, ridiculous. More expensive than an X5M or GLE63S.

I was thoroughly impressed by the Genesis lineup - I didn't know the G80 was so cheap (relatively speaking). Too bad G90 wasn't there. The G70 sure stands out after sitting in lots of other $55K cars. The only better interior was Audi's more expensive models IMO.

Weren't too many new models this year, so it was a lot of the same - only spent about 6.5hr there this year.

I like how Porsche let people in their cars - there was a kid crawling in/out of the window of the Panamara, stomping the seat/center console/window controls numerous times over and over while his parents watched. Wouldn't want to be the poor SOB who buys that one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast