Quantcast
Sri Lanka Bombings - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sri Lanka Bombings

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by legendboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the world is moving towards spirituality, personal, whatever that may be. humans will eventually take a step forward in evolution and abandon the ridiculousness of organized religon, the devil, fear, guilt etc.

id like to stay and write a nice long post but dinner is ready and it isn't worth having the conversation
    true that. spiritual, energy etc. vs my invisible friend above (okay no one hurt me okay)
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Pretty much this.

I grew up in Catholic schools, I don’t believe in religion, but live by the motto “don’t be a dick”.

It’s been working pretty well.
    I always get annoyed when my dad tells me I'm being a "good christian" with the various things I do.

No. I'm being a good human being, nothing I'm doing is about religion, nothing Im doing is about trying to get into "heaven", I'm just not being a dick, and helping people when I can.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I always get annoyed when my dad tells me I'm being a "good christian" with the various things I do.

No. I'm being a good human being, nothing I'm doing is about religion, nothing Im doing is about trying to get into "heaven", I'm just not being a dick, and helping people when I can.
    This is just it right here. Being a good person for the reward of being a good person. This all starts at an early age and now that I have a kid, the Mrs. and I are having numerous conversations surrounding the idea of religion. Having being raised Catholic, initially I was all onboard with going the Catholic route but as I got older, the more and more I began to resent a lot of the practice. The wife is Anglican and that being said, she was also exposed to something similar although not to the same extreme but we are both in agreement that we want to raise a child who is grounded on the fundamentals of humanity and not religion. Doing a good deed to get into heaven undermines the deed itself. We did not like the idea of having to be fearful of damnation if we didn't do the "right" thing. On top of that, little things revolving around the idea of same sex marriages and how evil they are also is annoying considering we have a lot of gay friends in our lives.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

Quote Originally Posted by LUDELVR View Post
    This is just it right here. Being a good person for the reward of being a good person. This all starts at an early age and now that I have a kid, the Mrs. and I are having numerous conversations surrounding the idea of religion. Having being raised Catholic, initially I was all onboard with going the Catholic route but as I got older, the more and more I began to resent a lot of the practice. The wife is Anglican and that being said, she was also exposed to something similar although not to the same extreme but we are both in agreement that we want to raise a child who is grounded on the fundamentals of humanity and not religion. Doing a good deed to get into heaven undermines the deed itself. We did not like the idea of having to be fearful of damnation if we didn't do the "right" thing. On top of that, little things revolving around the idea of same sex marriages and how evil they are also is annoying considering we have a lot of gay friends in our lives.
    This is why I roll my eyes whenever religious nuts try and claim that the only reason people are atheist is so they can live a life of sin without fear. Uhhh, nope. I live a good life just for the sake of being a good person., and for the fact I want to be remembered that way since this is the only life and world there is. How immoral does someone have to be, that they need the fear of eternal damnation in hellfire just to act like a decent human being? I am pretty questioning of the moral compass of a person that thinks they can do whatever the hell they please as long as they repent on their death bed.

I too was an unfortunate brought up in the Catholic school system (and I wasn't even a Catholic, but in the mid/late 70s when I started school, it was the only option for French immersion, which my parents decided to torture me with). Pretty much ended religion for me as well.

I will however say everyone saying things along the lines of "being a good person" - being "good" is defined by some sort of belief system. The majority of our belief systems, and even laws, are largely based on...drum roll...religions. Being "good" often differs wildly, and can be very subjective, depending on what part of the world you're living in I've found, and I've lived/worked in the Mid east, USA, Australia/Fiji/NZ, Hong Kong, and spent 6 months total in South Africa and Kenya.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 04-23-2019 at 02:30 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

A lot of people forget laws and rules are simply made up abstractions of the human mind that have no reality basis.

What makes killing bad? Because we say so. What is bad? A concept only humans (most of the time) understand.

Humans do seem to have somewhat of a base moral compass, but beyond that anyone getting all uppity about religion needs to look in the mirror and realize their belief system is just as fucking made up as any one elses (I'm not religious, was raised catholic).

For instance, I think its hypocritical and makes you a bad person for demeaning people over their beliefs when you have just as silly of made up beliefs.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by LUDELVR View Post
    oing a good deed to get into heaven undermines the deed itself.
    Truest shit ever spoken. I always hate when athletes thank god for their achievements, like how about you thank yourself for your insane dedication and skill lol

the Sri Lanka Shit is insane though, Ridiculously sad. there's a beyonder there right now he's good and safe though.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    Truest shit ever spoken. I always hate when athletes thank god for their achievements, like how about you thank yourself for your insane dedication and skill lol

the Sri Lanka Shit is insane though, Ridiculously sad. there's a beyonder there right now he's good and safe though.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Up to 359 "Easter Worshippers" (as the left likes to call them, whatever that means) killed by muslims now:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/ter...ts-never-sated

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Up to 359 "Easter Worshippers" (as the left likes to call them, whatever that means) killed by muslims now:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/ter...ts-never-sated
    The "religion of peace" strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    For instance, I think its hypocritical and makes you a bad person for demeaning people over their beliefs when you have just as silly of made up beliefs.
    Yeah, those lefties do it all the time, amirite?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Yeah, those lefties do it all the time, amirite?
    Jokes on you, I've never claimed to not be a bad person. I took that one from the left's playbook "do as I say, not as I do"

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Funny how I never saw one person on my Facebook send thoughts and prayers - but when the same thing happens in France, everyone suddenly has French flags superimposed over their profile pic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2