Quantcast
Who has the best CVT...? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Who has the best CVT...?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Who has the best CVT...?

I just cooked a lovey meal and I had a the new 2020 Outback Car review running in the background.

It got me thinking, who makes the best CVT engine in terms of reliability and in which model..? (Japan) Are there any others that may not be as robust but more punchy in performance..?

Im not fully sold on the CVT. Its the future though.
    Ive driven my friends CrossTrek and a new CRV. I have this image of a skinny belt powering the wheels in my head. I kow actually does not work like that. Maybe its just me. I can't get my head around it.

And why have Ze Germans not gone this route..?

Nissan seems to get a lot of hate.
    Thoughts.?

I found this on Quora:
    https://www.quora.com/What-company-m...T-transmission

There is no the “best”.

Jatco is the largest, they make several different transmission types, but much of their volume is devoted to CVTs for Nissan cars. They are majority owned by Nissan, and supply Mitsubishi and Suzuki as well, and have supplied Chrysler/Jeep/FCA for a number of years. They have the most market share of any manufacturer, and mostly focus on CVTs these days. Depending on which one of their press releases you read, they make anywhere from 30–50% of all the CVTs sold in cars in the world.

Don Sutton referred to Aisin, which makes a few different models that are focused mostly on moderate torque gas engines, as well as the entire CVT kit for things like the Prius and other companies hybrids. Aisin is partially owned by Toyota.

Honda makes their own, and they are unusual in this respect. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that Honda will move their CVT to their smallest cars at some point, as they have widely publicized their coming 11 speed dual clutch autoshifter.

These are the major manufacturers of CVTs, as they are not widely used outside of the Japanese industry. Most of the German companies are no longer focusing on CVTs, but rather focusing on more multi speed dual clutch autoshifters.

The CVT equipped cars in tiny cars have done fairly well, as they have in Hybrids. But in mid size cars and up, they haven’t really succeeded as widely as in the smaller city cars and hybrids.

If I had to handicap the most mature CVTs made by one company, I’d have to say Jatco, and probably Aisin next. Jatco has the broadest lineup and the most units deployed, which means they have the most field experience and therefore, likely the best reliability over the long term. Aisin also has made plenty, but their most successful transmissions are focused on Hybrids, especially the Prius.

My Ride
    V8s

The Germans haven't gone this route, because it's not the way of the future IMO.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

CVT’s are terrible...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Silverado

Fucking terrible

My Ride
    Blue boy

Just plain garbage

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Rubber band transmissions... Lets rev that motor up and then GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Hated that feeling about them lol... All rev and no go.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Bombardier or Polaris comes to mind

My Ride
    Bicycle

They sound terrible especially on lower end cars. The only CVT I don't hate is when it was paired with Nissan's VQ35** engines. I don't like it but I don't hate it.

2019/20 Toyota Corolla's CVT is supposed to have a physical launch gear, probably will minimize the hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    Bombardier or Polaris comes to mind
    I don't know about Can-am, but Polaris' CVT has always been rock solid for me. My wife has a CRV with the CVT, I hate driving it personally, but no issues mechanically.

None of them are great but Honda does a pretty good job with them, based on the ones I've driven, in terms of not driving like a sponge and/or simulating gears. Nissan's are OK too but only on the bigger motors.

They make sense on econoboxes or other generic vehicles where 99% of the buyers don't even know what a transmission is or what it's supposed to feel like. On cars like the WRX it is a disaster IMHO.

My parents have a Murano with a CVT and while a regular 6spd auto or whatever would have been preferable, it's really not that bad at all for what it is - much better than years past and there is no rubber band effect. It's also been rock solid reliability-wise.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

This is like asking what is the most reliable Italian auto manufacturer.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

So a lot of hate on the CVT's...

But why the hate..? Care to elaborate...Is it just the acceleration, noise..?
    Are they really that unreliable..?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

What's the best strain of Hepatitis?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    So a lot of hate on the CVT's...

But why the hate..? Care to elaborate...Is it just the acceleration, noise..?
    Are they really that unreliable..?
    The bad ones are pretty awful to drive (like driving a sponge or elastic band), but you should go try one yourself as some are a lot better than others. Reliability is also much better than it used to be, but they are still probably more prone to failure than a well built normal AT. What I don't like is a CVT being the sole option for automatic in a lot cars these days, but it is a trend that doesn't seem to be going anywhere and other than Nissan and Subaru, is thankfully limited to on econo-boxes for the most part. A CVT in the WRX is a crime IMHO haha.