Quantcast
Distracted driving ticket court case - did i win or lose? - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Distracted driving ticket court case - did i win or lose?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe get in contact with Doug Schweitzer’s office (new Justin Minister).

Sounds like a good opportunity for the new government to knock the establishment down a peg in a way that will be popular with every day people.
    Wouldn't requiring real lawyers end up costing the province more money though?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Well this is interesting.

https://albertacourts.ca/pc/areas-of-law/traffic

Trials in Traffic Court, whether involving an adult or a young person, are usually heard by a Justice of the Peace. However in some locations trials are heard by a Judge of the Provincial Court. Only Provincial Court Judges can hear traffic matters in the following matters:
    - any proceeding that involves the death of an individual;
    - any proceeding that involves the determination of whether any Charter rights have been infringed or denied;
    - any issue relating to the constitutional validity of any law; or
    - any proceeding that involves a determination of any aboriginal or treaty rights.
    So the "judge" is the same as the JP behind the desk haha. JPs do not require legal training whatsoever so traffic court is just a pretend court lol. So yea, now I'm not surprised that the prosecutor isn't a lawyer, and not surprised they can get away with all this shit.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    No need for fake prosecutors if the corrupt government would stop giving out fake tickets.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

So the "judge" is the same as the JP behind the desk haha. JPs do not require legal training whatsoever so traffic court is just a pretend court lol. So yea, now I'm not surprised that the prosecutor isn't a lawyer, and not surprised they can get away with all this shit.
    I wonder how recent this is. I am thinking maybe this step was done to free up space in the criminal courts while there have been a shortage of "actual" judges...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

So the "judge" is the same as the JP behind the desk haha.
    Came here to say "What's next, the judge isn't an actual judge?!?", you beat me to it

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    See, the problem with this premise is somehow doing the mental gymnastics to equate wanting to save money with also being fine obliterating the rule of law/rules in place that need to be enforced.

It's idiotic, to say the least.

Do I want to fund heroin addicts? NO. Do I want a court system that has professionals managing/running it and not violating our rights and freedoms? YES.

I know this will go right over your head, but I tried to say this in the same manner I would to Justin Trudeau. Hopefully it is easy enough for you to understand

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Of course we all want professionals to be running our court systems, however I fail to see any money savings, when this scam is literally making the province money.

Proper judges and real lawyers cost more, more tickets will be tossed due to the legality of them, and/or more will be reduced prior to court, cops (might) stop writing so many tickets because they're getting tossed. How does this save money? It will literally cost the system more. Right now, having an instant 75% conviction rate with tickets paid in full is filling the coffers.

And as you all explain, you literally voted UCP to save the province money. So why would a UCP Minister want to even bother himself with this?
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 05-03-2019 at 04:49 PM.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Traffic court is a kangaroo court, I thought everybody knew it was just JP's lol.

It's all about revenue generation, Policing for profit.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Silverado

Crazy.

I'll.still fight every ticket. If everyone did they'd have to stop giving them
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 05-03-2019 at 05:16 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Crazy.

I'll.still fight every ticket. If everyone did they'd have to stop giving them
    They like to camp out every couple weeks at the bottom of the downhill end of a bridge here and just poach for a few hours. Saving lives by fining people who creep up to 60 while going downhill, $175 at a time. I drive through there a half a dozen times a day for 10 years. I can count on one hand the number of collisions I've ever seen but I'd likely need a bigger computer to calculate how much money they've taken in.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

By extension, are the guys at Pointts real lawyers?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    By extension, are the guys at Pointts real lawyers?
    Nope. Ex cop.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

There is precedent for this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...jury-1.4205926

The ASIRT investigation found that Crane, a 19-year member with EPS, lied under oath approximately six times in traffic court while he was working in traffic enforcement.

Couple random updates-

Prosecutors office did nothing. They refused to confirm they received my complaint, refused to acknowledge via email or return any calls over a couple of weeks. Yes i know their busy just acknowledge it was received and touch base in a month no problem. Ended up at a different traffic court to help the wife briefly when that prosecutor just happened to be there. Told wife she was on her own at that point. Turns out he recognized me and let his boss know i was there. Randomly got an email that day saying i had no right to be at the court house and i shouldn't be bullying a prosecutor following him around. He said he spoke with one person from the day i fought my ticket and they said my complaint was not valid therefor he will close the complaint. I assume he spoke with the prosecutors co workers who sat at the desk with him.

The chief prosecutor made it clear in his response that he was not pursuing the complaint at all. This was done without him even reaching out to me to speak with me on the matter.

Other then that the RCMP have reached out and took general info from me. In the discussions they mentioned there is a big difference in "unreliable testimony", fabricating a story and straight out perjury. She tried to mention that the testimony could have been misplaced recollections. I let her know that i asked 4 or 5 different ways during the trial to make sure these were not misplaced recollections and that he was 100% clear with his "vivid" memories that he said were 100% accurate. I'm sure ill be learning more about unreliable testimony and perjury over the next 4-8 weeks.

The investigator asked what I'd like done with the complaint. I flipped the question onto her and asked what she thought was an appropriate punishment if their investigation proves the officer lied/perjured them self. She didn't have an answer but mentioned officers in BC ended up in court with possible jail. I said I'm happy to let the investigation figure things out and happy to hear their recommendations once everything is done.

My Ride
    This and that.

I didn't read the thread and perhaps it was mentioned but not all traffic crown prosecutors are lawyers. I.e., you don't need to be a lawyer to become a traffic crown but they can be and sometimes are. If they are lawyers then the Law Society of Alberta is the managing authority that deals with complaints of misconduct etc. against lawyers.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

> i shouldn't be bullying a prosecutor following him around.

Thats rich - first they bully and intimidate defendants, but you going to help your wife constitutes bullying .... LOL.

But in all seriousness, you might want to give up on the prosecutor - esp. if they have no one to answer to (ie not lawyers, etc.). You might want to contact their boss though to see if there is a complaints process there.

The RCMP matter though, thats something that you will have to articulate very specifically and, obviously, have the court transcripts for.
    Last edited by revelations; 05-15-2019 at 08:07 AM.

I agree on the prosecutor. Me randomly running into the prosecutor set the chief prosecutor off even tho I was there for legitimate reasons. Whats clear is there is no complaint process when the prosecutor is not a lawyer.

On the more important issue with the rcmp it seems I need to find out the differences between unreliable testimony and perjury.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    Couple random updates-

Prosecutors office did nothing. They refused to confirm they received my complaint, refused to acknowledge via email or return any calls over a couple of weeks. Yes i know their busy just acknowledge it was received and touch base in a month no problem. Ended up at a different traffic court to help the wife briefly when that prosecutor just happened to be there. Told wife she was on her own at that point. Turns out he recognized me and let his boss know i was there. Randomly got an email that day saying i had no right to be at the court house and i shouldn't be bullying a prosecutor following him around. He said he spoke with one person from the day i fought my ticket and they said my complaint was not valid therefor he will close the complaint. I assume he spoke with the prosecutors co workers who sat at the desk with him.

The chief prosecutor made it clear in his response that he was not pursuing the complaint at all. This was done without him even reaching out to me to speak with me on the matter.

Other then that the RCMP have reached out and took general info from me. In the discussions they mentioned there is a big difference in "unreliable testimony", fabricating a story and straight out perjury. She tried to mention that the testimony could have been misplaced recollections. I let her know that i asked 4 or 5 different ways during the trial to make sure these were not misplaced recollections and that he was 100% clear with his "vivid" memories that he said were 100% accurate. I'm sure ill be learning more about unreliable testimony and perjury over the next 4-8 weeks.

The investigator asked what I'd like done with the complaint. I flipped the question onto her and asked what she thought was an appropriate punishment if their investigation proves the officer lied/perjured them self. She didn't have an answer but mentioned officers in BC ended up in court with possible jail. I said I'm happy to let the investigation figure things out and happy to hear their recommendations once everything is done.
    After reading that I think it's time to either build a website and lay all this out for the public to see, or get the media involved. Or both. Absolute BS if what you're saying is even 75% accurate, and IMO I think you're being open and honest. Apparently the judge thought so too since he tossed your ticket. There should be oversight on these unqualified clowns acting as Crowns in traffic court. I think most people would be outraged that the legal system has come to this...

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    After reading that I think it's time to either build a website and lay all this out for the public to see, or get the media involved. Or both. Absolute BS if what you're saying is even 75% accurate, and IMO I think you're being open and honest. Apparently the judge thought so too since he tossed your ticket. There should be oversight on these unqualified clowns acting as Crowns in traffic court. I think most people would be outraged that the legal system has come to this...
    It would be a great news story.

My Ride

Echoing the "3 sides to every story" mindset, if this shit is 3/4 factual it's disgusting.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast