Quantcast
Changes to Alberta electricity market - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to Alberta electricity market

There is no question that green power generation makes sense in many places. All islands around the world that do not have a carbon deposit to start with and have money to spare (Most definitely not Guam) The USA without doubt is going bankrupt almost entirely from decades of maintaining diesel warships that station on islands that have no means of energy production.

Then again, it is to Albertas benefit that they are maintaining a diesel fleet that consumes more than two Canada's combined. Pushing a 100,000 ton vehicle through the water consumes a ridiculous amount of fuel every second. The US went nuclear(electrical) on some larger ships because its literally too expensive to use carbon based fuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ers_in_service

That being said, you can only go to around $300 million for a yacht because the ports that they dock at (and the Panama canal) are only "so" large. I mean, you can buy a million dollar car, but it still has to fit in a parking spot and take one lane on the highway.

For as long as the USA continues to ask for carbon, we actually have an obligation to keep pumping it to them. The USA is literally living on carbon, but Germany is diversifying away from it.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-27-2019 at 04:51 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

https://www.latimes.com/world/asia/l...109-story.html

China did try a solar roadway a while ago. $42.50 per square foot, and it failed - still a decent attempt compared to trying to land a rover on the moon IMO.

Also of note: Storing electrical energy inside lithium batteries actually has a physical energy storage density of 10x less than TNT (dynamite). Its also worthy of note that human fat is approximately 10x more energy dense than TNT.

If you could make a battery out of human belly fat, it would literally have 100x more energy density per kilogram, than lithium-ion. I'm not exactly sure why scientists tend to gloss over this fact - maybe it makes people uneasy.

Fatties all!
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-30-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also of note: Storing electrical energy inside lithium batteries actually has a physical energy storage density of 10x less than TNT (dynamite). Its also worthy of note that human fat is approximately 10x more energy dense than TNT.

If you could make a battery out of human belly fat, it would literally have 100x more energy density per kilogram, than lithium-ion. I'm not exactly sure why scientists tend to gloss over this fact - maybe it makes people uneasy.

Fatties all!
    I'm guessing it's the physical laws of magnetism and electricity that prevent them from going down the human fat battery road. More so than their glossy thought process anyway.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Fatties all!
    Your numbers are hilariously wrong. There are 14,644 joules in one pound of fat. In one gram of TNT there are 4184 joules. One pound of lithium ion battery is about 160,000 joules.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Terminator View Post
    The Blomberg article doesn't say that though. They are claiming massive surpluses, and they are preparing for and anticipating possible increases in their extremely rare blackouts.

Their alternative energy program is an extremely successful endeavor. So far.
    Lolwut? Germany had to build a coal plant because their renewable program doesn't work.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Germany's emissions are ridiculous because of their anthracite and lignite. I think it's something like 1/3 of all of Germany's electricity generation comes from burning that shit.

Around 2007(?) the USA using coal for electricity generation dropped off when switching a bunch of plants to natural gas, and their emissions have dropped off steadily as a result. Interestingly this was an issue with the Paris Agreement, in that they didn't need the P/A to reach their targets because switching to Nat Gas was making that happen anyways (and they don't need to import Nat Gas as they have loads).

Using coal is just stupid in this day and age, especially when we have a shitload of NatGas available worldwide.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Lolwut? Germany had to build a coal plant because their renewable program doesn't work.
    It's too early for meth, idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

Fatties all!
    What's pretty cool is England's largest storage battery is a lake.
    Last edited by 04Terminator; 05-01-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Germany's emissions are ridiculous because of their anthracite and lignite. I think it's something like 1/3 of all of Germany's electricity generation comes from burning that shit.

So if German emissions, using c02 as a baseline, of 8.93 tonnes per person is ridiculous, then what do you consider Canada's at 16 tonnes per person?
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    Silverado

Germany's emission intensity is 2,230 t of CO2 / square km
    Canada's is 62 t of CO2 / square km

When you consider that CO2 concentration is the cause of the warming, and not the number of people in a contry it is clear to see that germany is having a significantly higher impact on global warming.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

So if German emissions, using c02 as a baseline, of 8.93 tonnes per person is ridiculous, then what do you consider Canada's at 16 tonnes per person?
    I consider it that its below -5*c for 6 months of the year. Germany average winter temp hits a LOW of 0*c in December, whereas at one point Alberta had an average temp of -20*c this year, and energy use is exponential with temperature drop.

Even a liberal arts degree holder like yourself can see the simple math dictating we will use more energy.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    I consider it that its below -5*c for 6 months of the year. Germany average winter temp hits a LOW of 0*c in December, whereas at one point Alberta had an average temp of -20*c this year, and energy use is exponential with temperature drop.

Even a liberal arts degree holder like yourself can see the simple math dictating we will use more energy.
    I'm an engineer with an MBA, but hey, good on you for knowing higher education exists.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

It's too early for meth, idiot.
    Shove a knife up your ass, fuck face.

Clearly stabbing yourself in the head won't do anything, because there's nothing functioning up there.

Here's one they built in 2013, you brainless dipshit. There's even newer ones that have come online.

https://www.powermag.com/trianel-coa...halia-germany/

You go find them, "engineer with an MBA".

All that motherfucking education, and you can't see past the green propaganda.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    ..Even a liberal arts degree holder like yourself ....
    I'm an engineer with an MBA...

Not sure what's worse.

I'm going to go on a small bit of crazy but:

Technically, Canada could build a border wall (fence) at the 49th parallel and have it lined with silicon solar cells lined up completely vertically (little maintenance or snow removal.) In my mind, it is definitely doable assuming the price of silicon ingots/other manufacture (sand, of which there is trillions of tons on the earth) comes down in price.

Don't say it isn't doable, because the railroads (steel, across the entire nation) is arguably 10x more difficult than building a solar fence across the nation.

https://www.popsci.com/border-wall-solar-panels

I completely disagree with Popular Science. Trumps "Solar wall" is not entirely a bad idea... I endorse it.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 05-01-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Not sure what's worse.
    At least with a liberal arts degree everyone would already expect him to be wrong about everything. Now he has no excuse.

My Ride
    V8s

I'm an engineer with an MBA
    I highly doubt that.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Shove a knife up your ass, fuck face.

Clearly stabbing yourself in the head won't do anything, because there's nothing functioning up there.

Here's one they built in 2013, you brainless dipshit. There's even newer ones that have come online.

https://www.powermag.com/trianel-coa...halia-germany/

You go find them, "engineer with an MBA".

All that motherfucking education, and you can't see past the green propaganda.
    They've actively been shutting then down as alternative capacity has exploded. They missed their 40% reduction target, but managed 32%. They are doing extremely well. They have a target of shutting down all coal by 2038. These discussions are best left to people capable of rational thought.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

I'm going to go on a small bit of crazy but:

Technically, Canada could build a border wall (fence) at the 49th parallel and have it lined with silicon solar cells lined up completely vertically (little maintenance or snow removal.) In my mind, it is definitely doable assuming the price of silicon ingots/other manufacture (sand, of which there is trillions of tons on the earth) comes down in price.

Don't say it isn't doable, because the railroads (steel, across the entire nation) is arguably 10x more difficult than building a solar fence across the nation.

https://www.popsci.com/border-wall-solar-panels

I completely disagree with Popular Science. Trumps "Solar wall" is not entirely a bad idea... I endorse it.
    I'd agree, but the railroad was slave labour, I doubt we can get away with that again.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I still consider it shit. But when you look at emissions you have to look at more than CO2 wrt to total impact. This is why coal is much worse than natural gas.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast