Quantcast
Help with Hit and Run in NE Calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with Hit and Run in NE Calgary

Default Help with Hit and Run in NE Calgary

Hey guys,

It’s been a while since I posted here, but I wonder if anyone could help me out to locate the driver of a white Audi R8 that hit me tonight around 9:30 pm at the red light turning left around Saddletowne Circle NE where Genesis Centre is.

I was stopped at the red when I notice this white car approaching way too fast from behind. I try to move a little to the left as I hear him slam on his brakes as he skids on the loose gravel. I’m hoping he doesn’t hit me as he veers to the right, but sure enough he clips my passenger side rear bumper.

I pulled to the right side (which in hindsight was a mistake) to let others get by when I notice he is beside me gesturing down the road to get out of traffic. Sure enough he takes off into a neighbourhood side road and hightails it away from me.

Upon inspection of my car there is a slight scuff mark, but no serious damage. Think I have more of his white paint on my car than anything. I probably would have let it go if we had gotten out to take a look at the damage. My cheapo car doesn’t come close to an R8! But the fact he did the hit and run kinda irks me so I’m going to send something into the police.

If anyone has any info that can help please let me know. It’s more of a try to teach them a lesson to man up and do the right thing now than to get any compensation. You know if they get away with it they will just do it again. Sadly I don’t have a dash cam. His car looked pretty pristine so if anyone sees or hears about an R8 that needs a paint job to its driver’s side front bumper with streaks of white paint missing I bet that’s the guy.

Description:

White Audi R8
    Passenger: middle Eastern / East Indian / East Asian male with short hair, scruffy short facial hair and triangular goatee. Didn’t see the driver as it was pretty dark in their car. License plate may have had letters R, V, J? Hard to remember or see as they took off pretty fast.

Name:  DEA89310-0EFF-41D6-8B61-D54B394FA72E.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  19.9 KB
    Last edited by HHBL; 04-25-2019 at 11:14 PM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

at first I was like "oh god, another one of these threads"

And then I was like "holy fuck, an R8!"

I would imagine that if you are sure it was an R8, there can't be more than 6 white ones in the city, the police should be able to track em down in 30 seconds and go door knocking at the closest address...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

It’s pretty hard to not recognize an R8! Especially when you get hit by one! When I mentioned “goatee” I was expecting some jokes about it being Tony Stark. Aw man I checked online, and apparently you have to go into a Calgary district police office to report a hit and run. You can’t do it online. I doubt the police care that much and likely won’t do much so maybe I’ll just let karma catch up with the other driver. It might not be worth the hassle.

You would think if someone can afford a $70-140,000 sports car they would be a little more responsible during an accident. Oh well. Maybe I should go buy a lotto ticket or something. How often do you get hit by an exotic car?!

Go to the police asap and report this. Did you get any witnesses info? Its not about karma or if the Police can do anything. He may have gone to them and reported you as the culprit that hit his car! As mentioned by spikerS, as its a rare car it wouldn't take long to find the vehicle.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    at first I was like "oh god, another one of these threads"

And then I was like "holy fuck, an R8!"

I would imagine that if you are sure it was an R8, there can't be more than 6 white ones in the city, the police should be able to track em down in 30 seconds and go door knocking at the closest address...
    Me too!
    I'm still questioning, "ok do you realize what an R8 is and are you CERTAIN that's what it was? You're sure you know what that car is and you're not confusing it with an old A8 or an S4 or something along those lines.?"
    This ain't the days of an R8 being a poor man's Porsche, or something. That's a proper BigBoy car.
    "Yo, I got sideswiped by a Vanquish. Please help".
    I'm confident this will be brought to resolution quickly.

Yeah I can recognize an R8 pretty easily when I see one. Kinda hard to mistake it for anything else really. Those exotic supercars are pretty distinctive. Kinda like spotting Lambos in Calgary. You don’t see them often, but every now and then one pops up. I think the owner of Shagannapi Chev Olds had a yellow Gallardo as I saw one parked in the service area one time many years ago.

Maybe I’ll head over to the police station tomorrow and file a report then. Good point about them trying to blame me. There was an SUV behind us, but I was too busy trying to follow the R8. I gotta get a dash cam.

In hindsight I should have stayed blocking the road and grabbed my phone to start video recording everything I guess.

Kinda looked like this:

Name:  770471DA-6DC7-4B99-8D80-9BC26DE39EE7.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  40.1 KB

I’ve also watched this R8 Salvage series on Youtube quite some time ago where he has the weak spots in the frame repaired.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L6-hCpnFjLg
    Last edited by HHBL; 04-26-2019 at 02:53 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

High end sports car... Middle Eastern... Driving dangerously for conditions... NE...

Is this him?

Name:  zahirrana.JPG
Views: 477
Size:  72.8 KB

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

#Reason10000001ToHaveADashcam
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

That guy might have been the passenger. I’ve never heard of Zahir Rana before until I Googled him just now. ZR Auto? Geez that definitely makes sense. I could have swore the passenger looked younger though. I thought he looked like he was 26-36? I only got like a passing glance at the guy as they paused next to me then took off. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah I know. Dashcam. I was considering it, but I was afraid of having it stolen or a reason to have my car broken into. The NE unfortunately is not the safest place to have anything valuable sitting around in plain sight in your car.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

You should be filing a police report. Your first mistake is thinking the police won't do much, when really it is us who can't do much for you. I've seen a couple hit and run cases with friends from parallel parking situations (not major damage) where we saw in person what happened and the person was dinged with hit and run.

Every time a hit and run situation was reported, police never acted like it was wasting their time. They thanked us for reporting it and that we should be doing stuff like this if it happens.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    You should be filing a police report. Your first mistake is thinking the police won't do much, when really it is us who can't do much for you. I've seen a couple hit and run cases with friends from parallel parking situations (not major damage) where we saw in person what happened and the person was dinged with hit and run.

Every time a hit and run situation was reported, police never acted like it was wasting their time. They thanked us for reporting it and that we should be doing stuff like this if it happens.

Definitely happened to me, the officer actually told me "you called us out for this?"

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'm bothered by how nonchalant you are about this whole thing. Why drag your ass on filing this report? It only takes like 20 minutes out of your entire day to do.

OP sounds like a millenial.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    I'm bothered by how nonchalant you are about this whole thing. Why drag your ass on filing this report? It only takes like 20 minutes out of your entire day to do.

Or John Wick.

File a report OP. You need one anyway if you are claiming insurance.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I think that guy lives up in the Taralake area, I'll see if I can grab a plate number next time I see the car. It's definitely not Zahir LOL.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    Definitely happened to me, the officer actually told me "you called us out for this?"
    I got a hit and run in my company truck, damage was negligible like OP's but head office wanted it reported anyways. When I went to the station, and two officers came out to take a look at the damage, they both rolled their eyes at me and asked if I actually wanted to report this.

There's a lot of lazy cops on the force.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post

You did see the photo of the damage, right? It’s just a scuff. Actually it’s more his paint on the side of my bumper than any damage to my car. Plus my car is a beater so no big deal. No insurance claim needed. Just a fingernail to scrape the paint off. I wouldn’t drive a nice car in the NE. If it was a dent or more severe damage I’d be a little more ticked. It was more the fact he took off that bothered me. If he stayed I likely would have just said no problem it’s just a minor scuff. No biggie. Luckily it wasn’t more than that when I had a chance to check it out after my brief car chase that didn’t last very long. Those R8’s are plenty fast.

Millenial? Nope. I just have other things to do with my time. Lazy? A little maybe. In any case, I dragged my sleepy ass out this morning and filed a report. Cop was pretty friendly. I told him I almost didn’t bother filing it, but he said he’ll check to see how many R8’s are in the area and look into it. I guess I’m also a bit of a realist. Are they going to investigate it much? Likely not. I’m sure they have other more pressing crimes to look into. But it’s in the system filed away at least. Have you ever dealt with the police? There’s really only so much they can do, and I’m sure these minor hit and runs don’t top their list. Paperwork and placating the public is just another part of the job. And don’t get me wrong - I totally respect the police. I just realize that there are practical and legal limits regarding what they can and are willing to do.

Besides, without video evidence or a license plate it’s probably more a “he said she said” dealio really. Even if they find the guy he could say his car was scratched in a parking lot by someone. Really it would be just his word against mine. When I asked the cop if there are any cameras in the area, he said that even if there were they likely wouldn’t even bother pulling it for something this minor. I bet though the Audi had more damage to it’s fender than expected as he bumped my car pretty hard. Good ol’ GM bumpers always win over imports so that gives me some peace of mind.
    Last edited by HHBL; 04-26-2019 at 09:47 AM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by HHBL View Post
    You did see the photo of the damage, right? It’s just a scuff. Actually it’s more his paint on the side of my bumper than any damage to my car. Plus my car is a beater so no big deal. I wouldn’t drive a nice car in the NE. If it was a dent or more severe damage I’d be a little more ticked. It was more the fact he took off that bothered me. If he stayed I likely would have just said no problem it’s just a minor scuff. No biggie. Luckily it wasn’t more than that when I had a chance to check it out after my brief car chase that didn’t last very long. Those R8’s are plenty fast.

Millenial? Nope. I just have other things to do with my time. Lazy? A little maybe. In any case, I dragged my sleepy ass out this morning and filed a report. Cop was pretty friendly. I told him I almost didn’t bother filing it, but he said he’ll check to see how many R8’s are in the area and look into it. I guess I’m also a bit of a realist. Are they going to investigate it much? Likely not. I’m sure they have other more pressing crimes to look into. But it’s in the system filed away at least. Have you ever dealt with the police? There’s really only so much they can do, and I’m sure these minor hit and runs don’t top their list.
    Yes I did. But my point of view is this isn't about finding justice for you, it's about nailing the guy that hit you and took off. If everyone had it in their mind that nobody would report accidents, I'm sure a lot more people wouldn't bother sticking around at the scene of an accident. Besides, he doesn't know the extent of your damages. For all he knows, it could be nothing or you could have injuries. The point is he knowingly left the scene of an accident he was involved in.

I was involved in a serious bike accident last year and the driver took off. He came back about a half an hour later (while I was in the ambulance) and fully acknowledged that he saw me on the ground when he drove off. I can bet you the only reason why he came back was because it was a busy intersection and he thought he was going to get reported.

Sorry to hear about your accident. You definitely have a good point about the need to report offenses. I totally agree that the other driver’s behaviour should be penalized, or as the cop said “get some behaviour modification.” I just tend to weigh the pro’s and con’s while taking into account the reality of the situation at hand. In my case, my property wasn’t severely damaged, and I have no injuries so I am thankful for that. That may be why I’m not that bothered by the situation other than to vent a bit online.

I still think though the other driver should be taught a lesson that hit and run does not go unpunished. If the police can do something towards that then great. It might spare someone else from the same thing happening to them with this driver. I doubt that anything will become of it though. I think we’d all like to think someone like the Punisher or John Wick is out there to exact revenge for us (or in this case the police to uphold justice), but in reality sometimes not sweating the small stuff offers more peace of mind. Or at least that’s what I find in my case.
    Last edited by HHBL; 04-26-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 01:53 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

It's odd that a person that can afford an R8 would do something like this unless maybe they have too many accidents on record.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast