Quantcast
Formula 1 2019 Azerbaijan grand prix - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Formula 1 2019 Azerbaijan grand prix

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The other teams are free to make a better car any time they want
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    The other teams are free to make a better car any time they want
    There's nothing to debate on that but is it good for the sport?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The entire sport is about innovation in technology. So yea I think the embarrassment of continuously losing adds a nice incentive to R&D.

If you want to watch a field of identical cars, we already have Indy for that.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    The entire sport is about innovation in technology. So yea I think the embarrassment of continuously losing adds a nice incentive to R&D.

If you want to watch a field of identical cars, we already have Indy for that.
    Does innovation include obeying team orders?

Don't get me wrong as I find the tech side fascinating but it's almost a given that whomever starts 1-2 finishes 1-2. I can read all I want about the tech on line but on the tube I'd like to see some actual passing and/or racing.
    Last edited by speedog; 04-28-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Does innovation include obeying team orders?
    Not sure what that has to do with a car being “too dominant”.

But I think we would agree doing what the person who signs your pay check tells you to do is generally important.

fact.

Every time speed has anything to say about F1 it is in relation to a perceived advantage that 1 team hold over the others. In his view, it is in perpetuity. Which it just simply isn't.

Dominance is THE POINT of F1. The rules exist to bring the cars closer together, which they have. Forcing the competition to forgo competitive engineering is the backbone of what F1 is.

Its not like a team makes a block rocking car once and rides it for decades. Every single damn race they must improve. That improvement is lockstep with the rest of the field. There are "B-teams" like HAAS who are putting up last years best times in Q1/2. A rising tide lifts all boats. Everyone is continuously improving. In the current era its Mercedes. Everyone always fogets about RBR's dominance and prior to that Ferrari/Mclaren. Mclaren was THE team for decades.

It's a fools proposition to be a casual spectator who demands a new team win each race. F1 has never, ever been like that. Money and talent wins. Period. Talent rises through the B-teams and makes a dent in the A-teams. Vestapen, Lecleric, Norris.

Mercedes is well funded. There is no doubt. However, if you think that Ferrari & RBR arent as well funded, you're crazy. If you watch the netflix doc, you see just how much Renault is spending into the hole. Someday it will pay off, not for a while, but it will.

Look at how shit honda engines were. In the next 2-3 seasons we will see an engine and a package (hopefully Mclaren, pipe dream williams) that will bring a title contending machine. It comes down to consistent performance.

Mercedes isn't a stronger car overall, they just have an engineering group that carries consistency that they Ferrari can't yet compete with.

RBR has always had a delicious chassis design. It will come down to if they can integrate the Honda engine properly. I believe it would happen for RBR if they struck a deal with Mercedes. I believe if this happened, they would be the team to beat.

Hamilton only has 2-3 seasons (MAX) left. We are seeing a second rate driver in Bottas piloting a masterpiece in engineering to podiums. Imagine what a talent like riccardo/norris could do in it.

Anyways, I always argue the same position, which is F1 is beautiful for so many reasons. Forcing teams to forgo dominance is like telling fortune 500 companies not to maximize performance. It simply doesnt make sense.

If any other racing series did it, we wouldnt watch it (formula-e).
    Last edited by R154; 04-28-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: GRAMMAR
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by R154 View Post
    We are seeing a second rate driver in Bottas piloting a masterpiece in engineering to podiums. Imagine what a talent like riccardo/norris could do in it.
    Everyone writes off Bottas as being a second rate driver, but if you happened to watch him fend off Lewis for the first few corners and the last few laps, it shows he's in the top tier talent pool. He's always had the skills, but now he's got the right mentality to go out there and challenge for wins and the driver's title. Last season was a host of issues between bad luck, and not being aggressive enough. He can't fix luck, but he can fix the mental things it takes to beat Lewis(see what Rosberg had to give up) - it's paying off. Lewis is going to have a proper fight to the end this year, feels like 2016 all over again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Don't get me wrong as I find the tech side fascinating but it's almost a given that whomever starts 1-2 finishes 1-2.
    Of the 4 races this year, it is the first race where top 2 finished in qualifying order, first time pole sitter actually won.

This isn’t about Mercedes domination. This is about Ferrari finding new ways of fucking themselves over race after race.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Ferrari's, fastest in practice
    MERCEDES 1-2
    I laughed out loud.

If I was any good at graphic design/whatever, I'd make an animated meme of a trebuchet on a cliff hurling the Renault engine into the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Of the 4 races this year, it is the first race where top 2 finished in qualifying order, first time pole sitter actually won.

This isn’t about Mercedes domination. This is about Ferrari finding new ways of fucking themselves over race after race.
    Id just love to see a few races where the underdogs win, Haas on the podium would be great.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Its kinda interesting. I think nascar has the opposite problem, you do get different drivers winning. But its like watching two turds circle the toilet bowl when you flush. Round and Round...It does not matter which one goes down first.. its still shit.
    Just kidding. Joke Joke.. English 'Toliet' humour..

Jokes aside. I do see the point, I actually stopped watching F1 a long time ago as it there was hardly any overtaking. It has changed now, you get to see a lot more what goes on and there is a lot more information on the engineering problems/solutions. It gives more insight to watch what the drivers are doing and if they are keeping their cool or just whinging *cough* Hamilton *Cough*
    This season I am keeping a eye more on the midpack there are some interesting battles there. I wish they would show a bit more of that.

Id just love to see a few races where the underdogs win, Haas on the podium would be great.
    It's early yet. This season is actually shaping up to be really exciting with mid pack performance being closer than it ever was.

F1 is more than about the on track racing. I keep harping on this because it is what keeps it interesting. If you only care about the positions then I can see your point. However, if you care about the racing stories, history and technologies it doesn't get any better.

If you're into watching a racing series largely based on driver performance and car reliability watch LMP/Rally.
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

I don't know what you mean.....
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Good to see bottas take the win after last year. Daniel Avocado with the hilarious mishap, both mclarens doing well, both racing points in the points and a good show of the honda upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    Everyone writes off Bottas as being a second rate driver, but if you happened to watch him fend off Lewis for the first few corners and the last few laps, it shows he's in the top tier talent pool. He's always had the skills, but now he's got the right mentality to go out there and challenge for wins and the driver's title. Last season was a host of issues between bad luck, and not being aggressive enough. He can't fix luck, but he can fix the mental things it takes to beat Lewis(see what Rosberg had to give up) - it's paying off. Lewis is going to have a proper fight to the end this year, feels like 2016 all over again.
    I guess I am being rather unfair to Bottas calling him second rate. However, he is definitely not Lewis in his prime. if you do not believe he is second to Lewis in every way one can be as a racing driver, then we fundamentally disagree.

It is really important to remember just how hard Lewis has to work to keep his race-craft together.

Lewis had been going head to head with the out-going best of the best (and winning) followed swiftly by head to heads with the best of the best in his era where for a while he didnt win nearly as much, or at all. In the same time period we have watched Seb go from the second coming of racing Jesus to an absolute self destruct. Seb is in arguably the best, most historically rich racing team of all time. As their #1 stallion, no less.

If I relate how easy it would be to go off the boil with my work now that it's cruise control, the same applies to him (Lewis). The major exception is that he has to earn his drive every season. I have a buffer, I don't have to continually prove myself every day.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be the best year over year in fierce competition and having to prove myself on and off the track. He also has a hate train larger than most fan bases for other drivers. Mentally, the competition must be fever pitch. How spoiled I am (we are) as fans of a racing series where you can comfortably expect him to win WDC and CC year over year barring a complete engineering melt down.

I can't say that I am that dependable at anything in my life, let alone the highest echelon of motorsport, anywhere in any time period.

If he wins this years WDC, he will parallel the greatest of all racing drivers (statistically) to ever drive. Let that sink in.

F1 isn't what it was. It never will be. We can only enjoy what we have now.

Join me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Good luck with that. F1 is about striving for perfection, and it’s rare to see big mistakes from all the top teams to allow an underdog win, even when you mix in random safety cars. Only time in the last 2 decades where I remember an underdog win is probably Kimi in the Lotus at Australia where everyone fucked up the strategy and Kimi managed 1 less stop than everyone else and won. There were others I remember, Maldanaldo in Spain, Vettel in a Toro Rosso in Italy, but they weren’t underdogs really as they had serious pace over the entire weekend.

I guess you can say 2009 had an underdog team win the whole thing, every big team fucked up missing out on the double diffuser loophole. Basically Honda quit, sold it for $1 won the entire championship with a last minute Mercedes engine strapped on after winter testing already begun.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I guess I am being rather unfair to Bottas calling him second rate. However, he is definitely not Lewis in his prime. if you do not believe he is second to Lewis in every way one can be as a racing driver, then we fundamentally disagree.
    No arguments here. Hamilton is going down as the GOAT, or statistically GOAT. I was just pointing out that if Hamilton is the greatest or top 2/3 driver ever, and Bottas is going out there and taking it to him, then he's not a second rate driver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2