Quantcast
KTM RC390 - Thoughts? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: KTM RC390 - Thoughts?

Default KTM RC390 - Thoughts?

I'm looking at the KTM RC390 as a starter bike, have read some great reviews on this bike being something that is a starter bike but a really good transition to a full on sport bike. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on KTM bikes in terms of maintenance, reliability, resale? Also if someone has ridden or owns a KTM RC390, please give me your thoughts.

Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by BokCh0y View Post
    I'm looking at the KTM RC390 as a starter bike, have read some great reviews on this bike being something that is a starter bike but a really good transition to a full on sport bike. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on KTM bikes in terms of maintenance, reliability, resale? Also if someone has ridden or owns a KTM RC390, please give me your thoughts.

Thanks!!!
    New or used?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Have a Duke 390, loves it

Preordered it from Blackfoot when they were first released in NA, have done the first service and that’s it. Have around 5k kms now I think? Going to do an oil change and lube the chain this season, but that’s it. Haven’t had a single issue.

I have been riding for a while now. Have owed 750 sport bikes and the likes. But I choose to own the Duke cause it’s so much fun, so light and forgiving, can ring it out everywhere, just enough power to get into trouble, but not enough to make the evening news

10/10 everyone needs one in their stable at least as a city runabout

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    New or used?
    Used preferably.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Have a Duke 390, loves it

Preordered it from Blackfoot when they were first released in NA, have done the first service and that’s it. Have around 5k kms now I think? Going to do an oil change and lube the chain this season, but that’s it. Haven’t had a single issue.

I have been riding for a while now. Have owed 750 sport bikes and the likes. But I choose to own the Duke cause it’s so much fun, so light and forgiving, can ring it out everywhere, just enough power to get into trouble, but not enough to make the evening news

10/10 everyone needs one in their stable at least as a city runabout
    That's awesome to hear, thanks for the info. I want the RC390 but wondering about maintenance and what not, but it sounds like yours has been pretty solid then.
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Yeah, I guess there was a bad batch of fans on some of the earlier ones. Not sure if any of those made it to Canada even.

They both are very similar bikes. I went duke for the more comfortable riding position, slipper clutch (not sure if the rc eventually got one, but didn’t at launch) and slightly cheaper price. The seat material is kinda trash, but my bike also lives outdoors a lot. That would be my only complaint of build quality. Hard bike to beat, only thing in that range I would cross shop for the full fairing bikes would maybe be the R3

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Honestly, can't say I'd recommend the 390. Reliability is a thing. Looks sick though, and is fun to ride.

Other bikes that meet that criteria AND are more reliable:

https://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles....p-to-the-hype/

https://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles....nds-on-review/

https://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles....er-motorcycle/

If you plan on using it as a gateway to larger bikes, I would pass and pick up a CBR500, Ninja 400, even a R3 Yamaha. I haven't had a RC390, but I have had 2 other KTM's RC8R and Duke 690. Both had their ups and downs, but overall my Jap bikes were more reliable, cheaper to run, and easier to sell. Not a fan of the looks on the 390, but that's just my opinion.

If it was my money, and my first bike I would go with one of the big 4. I still keep one around (R1) just for the reason that I can hop on it anytime and never worry about it, unlike my Harleys

I bought my XR1200 just to have a fun hooligan bike for around town. And I can throw it around just as easy as my old duke.
    Last edited by Skrilla; 05-01-2019 at 08:48 AM.

My Ride
    MR2

The biggest difference between the rc390 and other similar class sport bikes is that the Duke is a single cylinder. Completely different power band. Personally I don't think a singe belongs on a sport bike. It's better suited for a supermoto or a naked bike. A lot of low end torque but pretty much dies at the higher revs, and the revs don't go very high at all. I loved the KTM 690 motor in my 701sm but no way would I want that in a sport bike

I really appreciate all the info from you guys, super cool. I'll pass on the RC390 then based on the feedback here and look for a CBR500, R3 or a Ninja400.

You dont wanna fuck with a ktm as a learner. Jap all the way for reliability, cost, ease to find parts, cheap cost of parts and pretty much any shop can repair if needed. KTM's are wicked bikes but they're very niche so parts/repairs are going to harder to come by.
    If you really wanna have fun and not worry look for a bike with some minor damage already, nothing hurts more than scratching up your mint bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

IMO starter bike should always be a cheapo 250 like a ninja or something, you can buy it for 2-3k and sell it for what you paid or even more. Use it for a couple months or until you're completely comfortable with whipping it around, practice emergency stops, figure 8s, and super slow riding without putting your feet down (high revs, light clutch). Parts will be cheap if you happen to drop it. Will give you a lot of confidence when moving onto a bigger bike. GL and stay safe.
    Last edited by tcon; 05-02-2019 at 07:47 PM.