Quantcast
AMD GPU's 2019 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: AMD GPU's 2019

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default AMD GPU's 2019

Lots of good info for computer parts on here, but are any of AMD's GPU's worth buying anymore?

Doesn't seem like they even come to the table at the top end.

Thinking of picking up a Razer Core X Chroma to act as a docking station for my XPS 15, and it would be nice if my wife could also use the station for her Macbook. My preference would be Nvidia, but apparently Apple and Nvidia are in a bit of a lover's quarrel and Apple won't sign Nvidia's GPU drivers, if it were my laptop i could futz around with activating them etc. but no fucking way my wife would put up with that.

I don't REALLY need anything super hardcore, 1 cable USB C docking station is the primary goal here ( Dell's doesn't play nice with other kids and costs just as much as the bloody Razer eGPU) that leaves me the flexibility of buying whatever monitor I want and not be restricted to shitty selection on USB C monitors. But it wouldn't be the worst thing to be able to play some games on it.

TIA guys
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

The Vega 56 has been going on sale dirt cheap for ~$430. You can then mod it for unlimited power use to perform at rtx2080 levels.

Even stock, it fights with the 1070ti/1080, but at significant savings. Do not buy one at full retail though, not worth it.

Vega puts out way more heat. Overall, just stock and go, rtx cards are what you want. I'm cheap, am an AMD/ATI fan, and want to support them so they can give nvidia competition, so the vega56 was worth it. 2080 performance at half price sign me up.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    The Vega 56 has been going on sale dirt cheap for ~$430. You can then mod it for unlimited power use to perform at rtx2080 levels.

Even stock, it fights with the 1070ti/1080, but at significant savings. Do not buy one at full retail though, not worth it.

Vega puts out way more heat. Overall, just stock and go, rtx cards are what you want. I'm cheap, am an AMD/ATI fan, and want to support them so they can give nvidia competition, so the vega56 was worth it. 2080 performance at half price sign me up.
    Vega 56 seems like a sweet spot, i don't want to cheap out and get something that is going to cause headaches in a year or 2 due to obsolescence

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX76885 This for 380 here in town seems like a steal ( admitedly out of stock ).

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16814131740 Never heard of these guys but price is right?

Anything to really watch out for these days? Seems like there are 100 versions of every card across multiples of price points that I cant figure out for the life of me what the differences are generally.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

If you do Vega56, the powercolor is actually the one you want (powercolor as a brand was a big deal back in the 9800pro days).

I got a asus strix because it was cheap. Unfortunately they use thermal pads that don't contact all the modules very well, so I likely will have to go in and replace them.

My understanding is the powercolor is good to go off the floor. That gigabyte model is crazy, nothing can compete at performance/dollar bone stock like that, and with the unlimited power mods, no big deal.

End of the day, modding/overclocking will always degrade components life due to increased voltage and heat. Nature of the beast.

Of course, most people will agree that unless you are pushing the bleeding edge, component life is so long that it won't matter. By far the #1 failure point on GPU's, especially due to thermal cycling, is capacitors. Luckily even a hack like myself can replace them when they die.

Remember, navi comes out this year... Buuuuutttt, radeon 7 required HBM2, which is what caused it to be such an insanely expensive card that didn't match rtx 2080 performance.

So its a tough call. You want future proof and zero issues, I'd say find the best rtx2070 deal you can and call it a day.

You want to tinker, vega56.