Quantcast
Looking for a BJJ dojo, with a catch. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Looking for a BJJ dojo, with a catch.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Looking for a BJJ dojo, with a catch.

Hey all, need some help so I figured I would put some feelers out there with you all.

My daughter has expressed an interest to learn martial arts. I am totally cool with that and support it. I picked BJJ just for the simple reason of real-world applications. Karate and Tae-kwon-do are fine, but not all that useful in actual self-defense, but that is another argument altogether.

So, I am looking for a good BJJ gym for my daughter who is turning 10 in a couple of days. I need the following criteria met.

1) I don't want anyone screaming at her just yet. I want it kept casual at first, focus on the fundamentals and keep it fun for her. If she wants to go competitive later, all bets are off and screaming can ensue.

2) The closer to home the better, so places near Coventry Hills are going to be favored.

3) Due to custody issues, and since it will be me taking her, we can't commit to every Wednesday for example. We can do 1 night a week max, but in reality, it will be 1 session every second week until the custody agreement changes (soon hopefully). So paying for a month at a time seems like a waste, I am hoping we can just do $xx.xx per class attended.

anyone have any experience in this or able to recommend a place?

Thanks!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    rally pig

It's a new martial arts dojo started by my cousin
    https://litorcomartialarts.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/LitorcoMA
    I saw on FB that they were going to have BJJ classes in May

Haven't tried yet but will definitely be signing up once our daughter is a little older.

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My daughter has expressed an interest to learn martial arts. I am totally cool with that and support it. I picked BJJ just for the simple reason of real-world applications. Karate and Tae-kwon-do are fine, but not all that useful in actual self-defense, but that is another argument altogether.
    The lack of striking/kicking in BJJ makes me question the relevance when it comes to self-defense. The last thing you want to do is take things to the ground in a self defense scenario especially if multiple opponents are involved. This isn't a knock against BJJ but just pointing out that typically BJJ will not teach any striking/kicking which is somewhat limiting. Knowing how to dish out a kick/punch and how to receive a kick/punch is pretty invaluable...

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    The lack of striking/kicking in BJJ makes me question the relevance when it comes to self-defense. The last thing you want to do is take things to the ground in a self defense scenario especially if multiple opponents are involved. This isn't a knock against BJJ but just pointing out that typically BJJ will not teach any striking/kicking which is somewhat limiting. Knowing how to dish out a kick/punch and how to receive a kick/punch is pretty invaluable...
    However breaking someone arm or choking them out is a surefire way to ward off an attack. BJJ is exactly what someone who is smaller wants because they will never be able to hit someone hard enough, especially if the have been grabbed. BJJ will get them out of a bad situation better where their size leaves them underpowered that striking will never do...

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    However breaking someone arm or choking them out is a surefire way to ward off an attack. BJJ is exactly what someone who is smaller wants because they will never be able to hit someone hard enough, especially if the have been grabbed. BJJ will get them out of a bad situation better where their size leaves them underpowered that striking will never do...
    In my opinion it would be great for women to with the higher potential of being grabbed or pinned down. Hapkedo* also comes to mind.

BJJ is effective in a sports setting where biting, eye gouging, etc aren't allowed. For self defense for women, I would lean to Judo or Wing Chun.
    I agree with OP's assessment of Karate and TKD.

I can't speak to your last two points, but the first...

If you are being yelled at when it comes to BJJ, then the gym is shit for sure. Most BJJ variants are the polar opposite of that and focus on building confidence instead of tearing it down. My son attends Arashi Do and while at times it seems like a McDojo (specifically when it comes to tournaments), if you get some good instructors, it is pretty flexible and quite effective.

When speaking to BJJ as an effective tool for self defense, its my opinion that fights always start on foot but end on the ground. Thats where things go sideways. BJJ focus on soft skills needed to AVOID the fight (best defense) and how to protect yourself when things go sideways. I do agree that a multi disciplined approach is best (our approach is BJJ and Mauy Thai) but BJJ is a solid choice over many others out there. Like karate and TKD.

If you are looking for pure self defense martial art that would do well for woman/girls, perhaps look at Krav Maga.

i've been doing muay thai for a long time, and i took up bjj a few years ago. my whole goal was to be able to get back up to my feet if i ever get in a fight and it goes to the ground. since starting bjj, i've been more confident in my ground skills, but no way would i be staying on the ground in a real fight. getting back up ASAP, should there be multiple attackers, would be my concern.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

Quote Originally Posted by nj2Type-S View Post
    i've been doing muay thai for a long time, and i took up bjj a few years ago. my whole goal was to be able to get back up to my feet if i ever get in a fight and it goes to the ground. since starting bjj, i've been more confident in my ground skills, but no way would i be staying on the ground in a real fight. getting back up ASAP, should there be multiple attackers, would be my concern.
    No way you would select to stay on the ground in a fight but the skills BJJ gives is how to protect yourself if you can't get up. Also you learn how to gain control and "mount" which is the precursor to standing up while protected.

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    It's more along the lines of kicking/striking something vulnerable then high tailing it and running away. That's practical self defense... Trying to choke someone out or arm bar an opponent who is significantly stronger and heavier is a very very risky move.

The SJJIF utilizes weight divisions to help minimize injuries and remove weight advantages. Contrary to popular belief, size is as important to Jiu-Jitsu as it is to other competition sports. Although a highly skilled small person may defeat a larger less skilled opponent, the usual result historically has been of some physical injury or injuries to the smaller opponent. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a size factor sport, weight divisions have been established to minimize becoming the prime determinant of the winner.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I took hapkedo from 9-12 and can't count how many bruises I got over the years and how many times I was yelled at. I always thought that was part of martial arts, but maybe master parks was just crazy.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Thanks, everyone for your input on martial arts disciplines, however, I was hoping to be getting recommendations on Dojos, rather than styles. LOL
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Arashi do Deerfoot is worth looking at. I've been going to the one in Springbank for 3 years. Great all around people and no attitudes and yelling. Very constructive and understanding.