Quantcast
Streetfight - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Streetfight

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Streetfight

Just reading Spikers thread got me thinking.
    What martial art or sports discipline do you think is best when dealing with a street/bar fight or even being chased with a knife?

And how many of you guys posting have actually been in a street fight or chased?
    Also women fight differently. Bitch fights are brutal.

My reason is, in such a fight there are no rules, no ref, no space, its full on from the get go. No few seconds to put yourself in a space. Hell you may not even have time to say like Neo "I know Kung Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!'. So I don't think certain martial arts work in real life scenarios.

From my own experience I would go sideways and say Athletics/Gymnatics, Judo and Boxing. The first two have saved my ass a few times. The latter I wished I knew more of in terms of balance, close positioning and defending.

What are your guys thoughts..?

My Ride
    rally pig

for me it would be arnis, krav maga, sambo or aikido.

but honestly i dont get the fascination of picking up martial arts in anticipation of a street fight.

it should be for self discipline and self defense.

I've done boxing and never had to nor wanted to use it against someone.

I've been in countless fights, kicked some ass and got my ass kicked lots too. Had a knife pulled on me at Chinook a few years back, and as confident as I am I'm not formally trained in hand to hand and disarming someone out of his mind on drugs, and wasn't down with stitches and/or hep C that day so I ran.

If you're gonna fight for the sake of fighting, then your best bet is to go out drinking and pick some fights, once you've lost enough you'll figure out how to win. That aside, military training like Navy SEAL kinda stuff, or even being in prison for the last 15 years, I'd put my money on that over any sort of disciplined MMA, except maybe a Shaolin Monk lol

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If you're gonna fight for the sake of fighting, then your best bet is to go out drinking and pick some fights, once you've lost enough you'll figure out how to win. That aside, military training like Navy SEAL kinda stuff, or even being in prison for the last 15 years, I'd put my money on that over any sort of disciplined MMA, except maybe a Shaolin Monk lol

The special ops teams dont go to fight looking to wail on someone, they go looking to end the fight as quickly as possible. Various methods are used but they tend to be low key.

My Ride
    ute

I know nothing about fighting or Marshal arts. But isn't aikido the one they all make fun of?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm a lover not a fighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Doesn't really matter what you're trained in the goal in any street fight is to open up distance typically through striking/kicking and then run away...

The second someone pulls a knife you need to run away and quickly... There isn't a martial art in the world that is going to help in that scenario. Hell a handgun likely won't save you either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post

The second someone pulls a knife you need to run away and quickly... There isn't a martial art in the world that is going to help in that scenario.
    Jeet-kun-do trains explicitly for that scenario. JKD was developed by Bruce Lee and is a combination of various styles, taking the best from each and melding it all together. The style is best explained as "if you find yourself in a fight, JKD is how to end the fight as quickly as possible and there is nothing considered "cheap"".

I took it while living in Slave Lake, was mandatory for me. My boss was the JKD instructor and as I was the bartender and bouncer in his bar, I had to use it multiple times and found it to be very effective. The downfall to it is you have to have lightning quick reflexes, speed, and strength, in that order.

For my daughter, wanting self defense skills for her, I have chosen BJJ and will probably also include MT Kickboxing a little later.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    NC1

Shooting guns would be solid in this scenario me thinks.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    What martial art or sports discipline do you think is best when dealing with a street/bar fight or even being chased with a knife?

And how many of you guys posting have actually been in a street fight or chased?
    Also women fight differently. Bitch fights are brutal.

My reason is, in such a fight there are no rules, no ref, no space, its full on from the get go. No few seconds to put yourself in a space. Hell you may not even have time to say like Neo "I know Kung Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!'. So I don't think certain martial arts work in real life scenarios.

From my own experience I would go sideways and say Athletics/Gymnatics, Judo and Boxing. The first two have saved my ass a few times. The latter I wished I knew more of in terms of balance, close positioning and defending.

What are your guys thoughts..?

Martial arts 100% work in real life scenarios or street fights. You're going to be caught off guard no matter what, so you're better to be functioning with muscle memory on your side than nothing. Just the basics of knowing how to throw a correct punch puts you miles ahead of virtually any drunk retard trying to fight you in the bar.

As far as what works best, you need to know how to end the fight. period. The best way to do that is a correctly placed strike to incapacitate the assailant, so Muay Thai would be my personal choice. However things can be done with a good choke hold as well, so there is validity in using BJJ or Judo as well. But when you're relying on submission holds to end a fight, it means you have to know enough striking to get past your enemy's strikes and have close enough range that you can execute your strategy. So I still feel Muay Thai is best.

For a knife, just get the fuck out of there at any cost. All the skill in the world will still most likely leave you in bad shape. Most idiots that use knives don't know what they're doing, they try to stab, the body can with stand quite a few stabs aside from a lucky hit to a vital organ, so you can still win the fight at the cost of some stitches and recovery. But in the off chance you run into someone that knows what a knife is for, and catches you with a slash, your body goes into almost instant shock and you're fucked. But in the event you absolutely HAVE to fight someone with a knife, Krav Maga would be optimal to give you the best chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I know nothing about fighting or Marshal arts. But isn't aikido the one they all make fun of?
    Karate and Taekwondo are the main muppets of the martial arts world.

My Ride
    *The First*

I'd go with whichever one allows the most nut sack kicks, eye gouges and biting, which is none of them. Like mentioned, there are no rules in a street fight. "Oh, you a long way from home now, Esé!" Maybe someone who's played a lot of GTA would do better! LoL!
    I'm not trying to say you're better off with nothing, but you gotta instantly delete the entire rulebook from your mind before the first strike.

My Ride
    Lariat

Been in some hockey fights, but no real 'street fights'. That is really just balance, clutch, and throw punches haha.
    I think any sort of athletic background can help, from hockey/football you learn how to take or absorb contact, learn balance etc
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I'd go with whichever one allows the most nut sack kicks, eye gouges and biting, which is none of them. Like mentioned, there are no rules in a street fight. "Oh, you a long way from home now, Esé!" Maybe someone who's played a lot of GTA would do better! LoL!
    I'm not trying to say you're better off with nothing, but you gotta instantly delete the entire rulebook from your mind before the first strike.
    That’s right. When there’s no referee to stop the fight/save your life then you better throw that rule book right out the God damned window. That’s the first thing that Curb-Fu teaches you.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Being an expert in self defense, primarily through Master Ken, here is a video by him that you should take into consideration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NNJvQGkBf0

This guy his his own channel and I implore you to watch them if you have some time to kill and are up for a good laugh!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMwXuFwSiaU

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

It's an Admiral discipline but no matter how good you are, eventually there's always a new Sheriff in town.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 05-06-2019 at 06:50 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Marshal art:

Name:  B264F146-63E7-4643-898C-5B3F9838AE33.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  29.2 KB
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Marshal art:
    I don't know why no one has liked this yet. It's gold Jerry, GOLD!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    The fusion of gymnastics and karate: gymkata.