Quantcast
Need Asian help - school this honky on rice cookers - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need Asian help - school this honky on rice cookers

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Q: I like my rice cooker, but need help getting peak performance
    A: Rice cookers are stupid, don't use one.
    AD got it covered. If you do have to buy a new one, be aware yours is a Japanese model which probably why it last as long as it did. Not all Tigers are now made in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    My dearest mathlete Asian geniuses - WHY??!
    Stove is reserved for cooking food that goes with/on rice. Using stove to cook rice is a waste of space and time.

Also when your diet could potentially 3 meals of rice a day, a set it and forget it gadget saves a lot of time.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-02-2019 at 09:22 AM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    AD got it covered. If you do have to buy a new one, be aware yours is a Japanese model which probably why it last as long as it did. Not all Tigers are now made in Japan.

Stove is reserved for cooking food that goes with/on rice. Using stove to cook rice is a waste of space and time.

Also when your diet could potentially 3 meals of rice a day, a set it and forget it gadget saves a lot of time.
    Out of curiosity, do Asians have to have the rice freshly made with every meal? Is the rice washed prior to using the rice cooker?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

We aren't eating rice three times a day, but three times a week anyway. It may be a "gadget", but we make good use of it, and I have no desire to go to the stovetop method.

Did the vinegar boil, came out totally clean as expected. I do wash it every time I use it.

If it came down to it, I'd be totally satisfied buying a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Out of curiosity, do Asians have to have the rice freshly made with every meal? Is the rice washed prior to using the rice cooker?
    Yes, I wash my rice 3-4 times until the liquid is somewhat clear.

And no to freshly made rice. But when we make rice, we make big batches and then eat the leftover rice in the next few days as well. Rice 24/7. Unless your doing small batch rice cooking for every meal. I make 3 cups of rice everytime I cook rice and it covers my lunch/dinner for next couple days
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

OK, washing the rice. How much does this matter? what's the procedure to wash the rice? Do you want to soak it first?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Yes. I think Gen X and younger can tolerate less and diet is more diverse. My folks' generation (70+) must have rice at every meal.

OK, washing the rice. How much does this matter? what's the procedure to wash the rice? Do you want to soak it first?
    DJ_rice's washing method is fine. Depends on the quality of rice, soaking may make them too soggy and may have adjust cooking time/water level.

I soak brown rice tho, I find them too rough otherwise.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-02-2019 at 09:52 AM.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Rice cookers seem to be more work than simply making rice plus now you've devoted your shelves to more gimmicky crap with a dome lid guaranteeing you can't stack another pointless kitchen appliance [...]
    My dearest mathlete Asian geniuses - WHY??!
    No time to stand around babysitting a pot of rice on the stove, too much math to do.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Soaking anywhere between 12-48 hours allegedly improves the texture of the cooked rice and reduces arsenic levels in the rice. ymmv, I've personally don't have the foresight to start soaking rice a full day before I intend to eat it.

Washing is simply a matter of agitating the rice in the rice cooker pot under running water for 3-4 rinses until the water is clear.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride

I've never soaked white rice before unless it was sushi rice. I'd imagine soaking the rice would make a very mushy texture.

As for washing it, you can wash it in the same rice cooker pot or whatever container desired. Turn on tap, fill pot with water till it covers the rice, move the rice back and forth in the water with your hands. Drain water. Repeat a few more times. If your using Uncle Bens rice, you do not need to wash

And washing the rice should be done and a must if your using the Asian bagged white sack rice. Just to wash off whatevers on it, you'll see when you wash. You can eat the rice un-washed as well, no ill effects. But I've been taught to wash rice growing up Asian.

If you do need a new one, Costco sells the Tiger new style ones. Thats where I got mine. Its a 3-1 with steamer basket. Has many modes for whatever style rice your cooking/can make porridge/brown rice/quick rice. Does the job. And decent price. My JDM friends have the Zojirushi ones that are expensive AF, when finished cooking, you get a cute lil music notification, never tried rice from these machines so I bet they make amazing rice at $200+ for one

This is the one I have from Costco. I'll check if its made in Japan or not. But it was on sale for $129 when I bought it. Can cook 10 cups when you have family over. This one doesn't give you the hard burnt crunchy layer at the bottom after cooking rice like the old school Tiger one button ones.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 05-02-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

My buddy has a Zojirushi and its amazing, I think they're worth the money if you eat rice often. My next rice cooker will definitely be a Zojirushi

Edit:

Just noticed, The guy above me has the right username for this thread

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I still have the same rice cooker as OP and rice just tastes better out of it than I could ever get on the stove with a pot. Set it and forget it!
    Ultracrepidarian

Mind=blown at how over complicated ya’ll are making this. Smh lol

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

What kind of rice do you guys use..? Basmati, Jasmine etc?

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Cock brand

Name:  RR003.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  152.0 KB

This is the NA version

Name:  600x600_smart_fit.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  68.5 KB
    Last edited by Asian_defender; 05-02-2019 at 11:50 AM.

My Ride
    Lease

I miss this brand, so classy

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I have this, it’s awesome! As for rice, different types for different dishes. They all cook perfect in this cooker.
    Name:  CFD0AC4C-4D47-416D-BAF0-4F02BDF71549.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  40.2 KB
    Name:  9B4B1537-33EC-46AE-BED7-02F7C863AEB5.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  39.8 KB

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    I have this, it’s awesome! As for rice, different types for different dishes. They all cook perfect in this cooker.
    Name:  CFD0AC4C-4D47-416D-BAF0-4F02BDF71549.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  40.2 KB
    Name:  9B4B1537-33EC-46AE-BED7-02F7C863AEB5.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  39.8 KB
    Wow. A pressure cooker rice cooker. Impressive. I guess that saves counter space since its 2 in 1. I have a separate rice cooker and a separate InstaPot pressure cooker.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

+1 for washing rice till water is clear

+1 for Zojirushi rice cookers. Was previously using Tiger but man Zojirushi makes such good rice.

https://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-NS-T...rushi+r&sr=8-1

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'll do a few rounds of well-washed rice and see if that helps. I'm not new at making rice or using this rice cooker, but every little bit helps. Maybe I had a bag with more "dust" in it than normal?

I'm also 100% sure I'm not buying a $200 appliance. Maybe if I ate rice every day, but holy hell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast