Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: No more “like” counting on social media

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That's fantastic
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Apparently chasing and flexing likes isn't mentally healthy, similar effect as crack.
    With the unfortunate real life experience to be able to relate to this I can say first hand that my every attempt at getting a decent IG going was very very similar, and that each time I'd delete my account it literally took me up to a week sometimes to "come down". So not healthy.

Next I think they need to eliminate the ability to buy followers, probably lead to mass suicides but whatever lol

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Apparently chasing and flexing likes isn't mentally healthy, similar effect as crack.
    The key to being worthy is to simply believe you are worthy.

All good tho, always reach for someone out of your league cuz you never know, chances are they have insecurities haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Damnit. I always try to see how many dislikes I can get by joining the space exploration social media sites and then saying the earth is not a sphere.
    You are such a gem lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Gotta go against the grain. Time to add a like button on beyond.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Gotta go against the grain. Time to add a like button on beyond.
    Be careful if you go against the grain!

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    With the unfortunate real life experience to be able to relate to this I can say first hand that my every attempt at getting a decent IG going was very very similar, and that each time I'd delete my account it literally took me up to a week sometimes to "come down". So not healthy.

Next I think they need to eliminate the ability to buy followers, probably lead to mass suicides but whatever lol
    That's not an IG problem, that's a mental instability problem. Mentally unfit people are going to get triggered, the mechanism by which it happens is virtually irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    That's not an IG problem, that's a mental instability problem. Mentally unfit people are going to get triggered, the mechanism by which it happens is virtually irrelevant.
    Spoken like a true elitist.

Have you ever been a hard drug user? People don't realize, and are in denial, that they are in fact mindlessly chasing those little red dots that make them feel good, just like a nice big hollywood makes you feel good. And once you start, it's hard to stop.

I am a 15 yr recovered/recovering addict and the first step to recovery is accepting that you are an addict. IG , for the most part, minus legitimate strictly business pages, is an addiction that millions of people are in denial about.

And you don't have to be mentally unstable to get triggered, anyone can get triggered by anything. 7 billion people on the Earth that's a lot of personalities and lot of triggers.

Bodybuilders get triggered by cardio LOL
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 05-03-2019 at 06:58 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Social media platforms are designed from the ground up to be addictive.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    It's quite apparent that you didn't target anyone specifically with this comment but it's quite apparent that your intent was to stir the pot picking who you replied to. Can you not comment without taking digs at other members, either directly or indirectly? Yeah, I'm directing this straight at you so guilty as charged but your post history certainly would back me up - pretty much every thread you wade into becomes a gong show.

As far as the topic at hand, I do have an Instagram account but pretty much killed it off within a week because it seemed like such a lame social media platform. I guess that would apply to any of my social media accounts, even my Twitter and Facebook accounts are pretty much dead - just got better things to do with my time. Forums like this and a few others I still participate in but not as much as I used to, seems to decrease as I can benefit from more senior perks - fuck, I'll soon be a part of some McDonalds coffee club soon. Maybe I could IG my coffee selection or then, maybe not.
    Will fuck off, again.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:26 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I disagree with the move

Firstly, "likes" and "views" are literally the quantification of how successful a post/picture/video is with the target audience. It is important for all people to have access to that info.

Second, this is another case of companies deciding what is best for me without asking. It is totalitarian in nature. Some stupid soccer mom got offended by the lack of likes, or butt-hurt by how many likes another soccer mom got on her bake sale... so now all of society needs to cater? Give me a break.

there are bot services for likes so really it doesn't really mean your post is succesfull.
    sadly numeric values is the most quantifiable and visual way to show success or influence, i think hiding it is good and will require posts to be more engaging.

I actually prefer posts with deep conversations going than a plain post with hundreds of likes.
    right now social influencers, celebrities with thousands or millions of followers can post a blank picture in IG and get thousands of likes. doesnt make sense to me.

I disagree with the move

Firstly, "likes" and "views" are literally the quantification of how successful a post/picture/video is with the target audience. It is important for all people to have access to that info.

Second, this is another case of companies deciding what is best for me without asking. It is totalitarian in nature. Some stupid soccer mom got offended by the lack of likes, or butt-hurt by how many likes another soccer mom got on her bake sale... so now all of society needs to cater? Give me a break.
    Ya well more and more “target” audiences are being bought so where’s the value in that? This is a good thing and I think anyone who has a problem with it is worried about their supply of little red dots of dopamine getting cut off while being in denial about it.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I disagree with the move

You are so delusional about how social media platforms work. The likes given by people to a post really hold no value or weight at all. The algorithms in the background have far more to do with how social media is played out than anything else.

I disagree with the move

Don't like it don't use it? The entitlement is strong here.

I actually love the move as someone who has built a good portion of my business off of Instagram. The platform has been compromised in a few ways over the past couple years, from people paying for followers and likes, to those just manipulating the algorithm by constantly posting, sharing stories, and commenting and engaging with others 24h a day. This sort of levels the playing field again, and will hopefully help push people to shoot and share work that they are actually proud of instead of just shooting and sharing what will get the most likes. We will see in the end, I personally am excited to see what happens.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:26 PM.

I am more concerned about the whole "everyone has an awesome picture" ideology... this is the same as giving kids trophies win or lose.
    100% with you on that one but unfortunately the influencers have it locked down in way that, it's becoming increasingly difficult to have an "awesome" picture without either buying your audience or being part of an influencer's little clique.

Hiding likes from all but the OP is the lesser of 2 evils the way I see it.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Second, this is another case of companies deciding what is best for me without asking. It is totalitarian in nature.
    This is what companies do. Were you personally consulted when they implemented likes in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    I actually prefer posts with deep conversations going than a plain post with hundreds of likes.
    I find deep conversations very rare on IG. It's mainly just compliments and then thank you notes for the compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    It's quite apparent that you didn't target anyone specifically with this comment but it's quite apparent that your intent was to stir the pot picking who you replied to. Can you not comment without taking digs at other members, either directly or indirectly? Yeah, I'm directing this straight at you so guilty as charged but your post history certainly would back me up - pretty much every thread you wade into becomes a gong show.
    I purposely didn't target him, as I know he is already prone to exactly what is being talked about. But he is the one who said what he said, so who else should I quote for my reply? Wouldn't have much context without the quote.

I definitely took a couple directed playful jabs about crossfit the other day, little litmus test to see if a sense of humor ever grew. No such luck so I'll lay off. Other than that I haven't been starting shit with anyone. A few people get pretty triggered when ideas outside their bubble get brought up, which doesn't have anything to do with me.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post

I find deep conversations very rare on IG. It's mainly just compliments and then thank you notes for the compliments.
    And that's how the algorithm deciphers who the actual influencers are. I think that with likes going away, people trying to grow a business will be more focused on creating quality content that generates engagement. And these fluff pages will slowly die off.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast