Quantcast
No more “like” counting on social media - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: No more “like” counting on social media

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Default No more “like” counting on social media

When I first saw this, I thought it was posted on a satire site... but opening Instagram today I’m greeted with this message:

Name:  D7B9345A-D127-4E75-A551-48A06A404708.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  33.5 KB

Interesting... I mean, it’s probably good for society as a whole... but pretty wild on the “regulating the internet” side of things*

...strange times... RIP influencers

*note I haven’t actually read an article on who or why this is happening yet

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Next beyond.ca will make reputation points hidden too. #saddays.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

They are testing it in Canada I think I read. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I wonder if Instagram doesn't like how much money people make on their app, and want to somehow monetize showing likes.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    When I first saw this, I thought it was posted on a satire site... but opening Instagram today I’m greeted with this message:

Name:  D7B9345A-D127-4E75-A551-48A06A404708.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  33.5 KB

Interesting... I mean, it’s probably good for society as a whole... but pretty wild on the “regulating the internet” side of things*

...strange times... RIP influencers

*note I haven’t actually read an article on who or why this is happening yet
    I have zero issues with this. We are living in a society were peoples health is being affected by things such as how many likes they got on a post or something they wrote about.

There is serious mental health issues going on with social media right now, and while some may see it as "regulation of the internet" it has zero to do with regulating the internet and more around regulating a privately owned forum (not literally) and they can as they please.

If this is something that stops people from posting about their life or things then this prove that people were in it for the likes and not the content.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Make another post talking about how many likes you got from the last post. Get more likes on current post.

It's foolproof!

"Do it for the 'Gram' "

I only use instagram so my friends think I'm awesome... How do I show them that without my likes!!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

So I looked it up, it does look like it was FB’s own doing and not government intervention (which was how it sounded during the conversation at the office today)

We were also at the time watching something about the effects of notifications and “likes” on dopamine receptors at the time. So this sounds like a step in the right direction, but also doesn’t change anything as you still see all your own likes, just not other’s... which has me leaning in the direction of them trying to monetize something...

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Who cares if people want to value their self worth based on likes and followers? That lack of enlightenment and understanding of life is a shame and embarrassment in itself.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    They are testing it in Canada I think I read. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I wonder if Instagram doesn't like how much money people make on their app, and want to somehow monetize showing likes.
    Haha fuck probably
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Damn. So all those people who died taking selfies in careless situations did it all for nothing?

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Damn. So all those people who died taking selfies in careless situations did it all for nothing?
    No. They did it to prove Darwin right.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

They are doing this so they can de-rank and censor certain content. It also works out in their massive push to cater to big corporations who want control over the narrative of their product.

Case in point, Sonic move trailer and them going after anyone who made negative reviews on youtube. Trailer was MASSIVELY downvoted, reviews weren't even that negative, but then they started hitting people with false copyright claims.

Twitter, Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, they all want the big corporate bucks. To do so, they must take the "little guy in numbers" out of the picture and remove our control over their products.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    So I looked it up, it does look like it was FB’s own doing and not government intervention (which was how it sounded during the conversation at the office today)

We were also at the time watching something about the effects of notifications and “likes” on dopamine receptors at the time. So this sounds like a step in the right direction, but also doesn’t change anything as you still see all your own likes, just not other’s... which has me leaning in the direction of them trying to monetize something...
    "Likes" haven't been much of a factor in revenue generation on IG for awhile now. I don't think this has anything to do with monetization. Unless it is IG's way of trying to get their users less focused on likes, and more focused on meaningful content, which in turn drives IG's user base up, which then leads to higher ad revenue valuations.

At this point in time, anyone just shooting for lots of "likes, (ie: dumb hot chicks that don't generate any comments and discussion) don't really understand how to monetize IG. Or in a lot of cases it is just a mental health issue of seeking approval from others. In which case it benefits IG to get that wasted bandwidth off their platform and make it easier to spot the real influencers and better apply their business model.

You know what I find frustrating? They do all these kinds of update, keeping relevant and edgy etc etc. All i want is my feed in fucking chronological order. Is that so damn hard?? /rant

Quote Originally Posted by dannie View Post
    You know what I find frustrating? They do all these kinds of update, keeping relevant and edgy etc etc. All i want is my feed in fucking chronological order. Is that so damn hard?? /rant
    No shit!! You're not the only one. I essentially quit using the platform all together when they started telling me what I want to see.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Apparently all the cool kids are using Vero which doesn't have a like button.

Insta is not cool any more, just like Facebook is for your grandparents.

The is never about well being, it's about copying trend setters.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-02-2019 at 04:35 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Only you can see your total number of likes.

I don't mind it but all I gotta say is, why are ppl so soft lol need to build some grit
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    No. They did it to prove Darwin right.
    Best God damned thing I've read all day.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    I don't mind it but all I gotta say is, why are ppl so soft lol need to build some grit
    Apparently chasing and flexing likes isn't mentally healthy, similar effect as crack.

Damnit. I always try to see how many dislikes I can get by joining the space exploration social media sites and then saying the earth is not a sphere.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast