Quantcast
I've decided I want a Chevy Colorado ZR2. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 118

Thread: I've decided I want a Chevy Colorado ZR2.

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3
    Posts
    1,168
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    What’s your idea for locking you bikes up? Only thing I have read is just a Typical lock. I’d be concerned leaving the truck outside for more than a hour with $5000 worth of bike in it.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & something w/ Seriously Round Tires
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    I like the looks of the Colorado / Canyon over the Tacoma but the interiors are very weak. With that said, is there a reason you aren't looking at a traditional half ton? The Colorado / Canyon / Tacoma are a bit smaller in stature but they burn almost as much gas, cost almost as much to buy and only do things 3/4's of what a full size will do. Turning radius isn't much different either. Going to a full size gives you WAY better interior from pretty much any brand. I've owned several mid-size and full size trucks over the year and I love the idea of mid-size except that they're still the same cost to operate.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    C5Z, Duramax
    Posts
    5,996
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quite honestly the interior quality is pretty similar between the Tacoma and Colorado. The Colorado has considerably more useable rear seat room and tons more head room though.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Technically the NE
    My Ride
    C63S + AT4
    Posts
    4,139
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the looks of the Colorado / Canyon over the Tacoma but the interiors are very weak. With that said, is there a reason you aren't looking at a traditional half ton? The Colorado / Canyon / Tacoma are a bit smaller in stature but they burn almost as much gas, cost almost as much to buy and only do things 3/4's of what a full size will do. Turning radius isn't much different either. Going to a full size gives you WAY better interior from pretty much any brand. I've owned several mid-size and full size trucks over the year and I love the idea of mid-size except that they're still the same cost to operate.
    I mean, if you don’t need it to do half ton things. Sounds like mid size is across the board cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, smaller.

    Why buy the half ton then?

    I feel like the Colorado ZR2 is far more interesting than the F150 XTR that everyone and their dog drives.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,178
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    for me... the ZR2 is a nice ready to go piece of kit with a half decent V6 engine, but at a price point where I don't think will retain a good residual

    For a mid-sized market, it sounds silly but I have no problems with a used Frontier... half decent reliability and post initial depreciation holds quite well (like the xterra) and lots of aftermarket support (I also like the exterior looks)

    The only 2 candidates for me for new mid-range is the Taco for its reliability and resale as is the top 2 reasons for it... (I know 5 people with well over 350,000k on the ODO) and the new Gladiator with a Diesel for its capability and possibly resale (though would be a high price point)

    quite frankly, if I wanted a bike shuttle, hunting, carrying the odd thing and general sports vehicle... I'd prolly just buy a cheap used frontier

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & something w/ Seriously Round Tires
    Posts
    2,461
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean, if you don’t need it to do half ton things. Sounds like mid size is across the board cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, smaller.

    Why buy the half ton then?

    I feel like the Colorado ZR2 is far more interesting than the F150 XTR that everyone and their dog drives.
    I think you might have missed my point, the mid-sized trucks are BARELY cheaper to buy, BARELY cheaper to run (if at all) and BARELY easier to use in the city, but they are noticeably less capable in almost every measure (cargo, people, choice of product). A new ZR2 stickers at almost $50K without a ton of options so that puts you in the same cost as a middle of the road half ton. I just can't see the benefit of paying the same price and getting less of a truck. Now don't get me wrong, I really like the looks of the ZR2, but looking at cost & real world usability I just can't get there.
    Last edited by Masked Bandit; 05-05-2019 at 09:45 AM.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Technically the NE
    My Ride
    C63S + AT4
    Posts
    4,139
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you might have missed my point, the mid-sized trucks are BARELY cheaper to buy, BARELY cheaper to run (if at all) and BARELY easier to use in the city, but they are noticeably less capable in almost every measure (cargo, people, choice of product).
    I didn’t miss your point. Just that if you neither need nor want the additional capability of the half ton then then buying the half ton is worse for you in every way, if only barely.

    And I am personally obsessed with useless amounts of capability in excess of what I need. But I want that. For example, I want a new F150 Raptor. If only to drive in the snow to my office and to go camping off a gravel road once a year. If you don’t want that, then all the extra capability is meaningless.
    Last edited by killramos; 05-05-2019 at 09:47 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,303
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    ZR2 goes off road, half tons... should not. Lack of ground clearance and any sort of locking diffs along with their size down the trails is a bad time. Half ton is a towing vehicle to the trails, mid sized trucks are the toy

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    117
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    [QUOTE=Buster;4795885]I've never owned a truck but it seems like a good idea for getting everyone out mountain biking and such.

    Anyone own I one here?

    Does it fit in parkades?[/QUOTE


    If your main concern is if it'll fit in your parkade, I'm thinking the Colorado can get the job done. A quick search puts the Zr2 at 6'. Most parkades I've seen can accommodate up to around 6' 6". You'll have plenty of options to carry mountain bikes, and I'm sure its easy to cable lock them to the bed somehow.
    Truck owner for 28 years.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    boonies
    My Ride
    6.6 turbo
    Posts
    1,831
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quite honestly the interior quality is pretty similar between the Tacoma and Colorado. The Colorado has considerably more useable rear seat room and tons more head room though.
    This. The comparo I just read had the Colorado firmly in first place overall and they found the interior the most usable and functional (VS Taco, Ridgeline, Ranger). May issue of Motor Trend in you'd like to read up on the test.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,679
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn’t miss your point. Just that if you neither need nor want the additional capability of the half ton then then buying the half ton is worse for you in every way, if only barely.

    And I am personally obsessed with useless amounts of capability in excess of what I need. But I want that. For example, I want a new F150 Raptor. If only to drive in the snow to my office and to go camping off a gravel road once a year. If you don’t want that, then all the extra capability is meaningless.
    This. Im not a truck guy and I barely have a need for one. I certainly have never demonstrated a need for crazy off-road capability.

    But the Raptor and the zr2 are cool. Which makes them an exception in the truck world. Other than maybe minivans there are no less cool vehicles than a half ton. They are the dude equivalent of a minivan and I have no interest.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, SW20 MR2
    Posts
    1,625
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the looks of the Colorado / Canyon over the Tacoma but the interiors are very weak. With that said, is there a reason you aren't looking at a traditional half ton? The Colorado / Canyon / Tacoma are a bit smaller in stature but they burn almost as much gas, cost almost as much to buy and only do things 3/4's of what a full size will do. Turning radius isn't much different either. Going to a full size gives you WAY better interior from pretty much any brand. I've owned several mid-size and full size trucks over the year and I love the idea of mid-size except that they're still the same cost to operate.
    This is my thought. my v8 fullsize does better for fuel than my friends 15 tacoma. Its also roomier, more capable, and has more features for around the same price. There is literally no reason to buy a smaller truck. and don't give me the "but it offroads better" no one offroads a brand new 50k+ truck. gravel roads don't count.
    Last edited by ShermanEF9; 05-05-2019 at 12:19 PM.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,679
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    We dont all want to drive Toyota camrys do we?

    But in theory we should.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Blandness
    Posts
    7,016
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Size is also important. I can just fucking BARELY fit my full sized truck in my garage. If I could afford a new mid-sized one, I would buy it in a heartbeat. (the older ones don't have the towing capability I need, otherwise I would have bought one of those)

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,303
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is my thought. my v8 fullsize does better for fuel than my friends 15 tacoma. Its also roomier, more capable, and has more features for around the same price. There is literally no reason to buy a smaller truck. and don't give me the "but it offroads better" no one offroads a brand new 50k+ truck. gravel roads don't count.
    No one?! ...Hrm
    @Sugarphreak

    C2CA6AFB-38DA-45F2-825D-50CC81C590FE.jpeg

    And I

    2B043E42-0A8E-4CA1-BF88-6E6643483A19.jpeg

    Are a little different I guess...

    But I also do stuff like this with under 1k, kms on the odo

    F09A1FFD-8FCF-458D-B40D-BDD42349190F.jpg

    Gotta use that warranty to the fullest, or why buy new?

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,679
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    @ercchry ...if I get a zr2 want to show me how to do the off-road shit?

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Technically the NE
    My Ride
    C63S + AT4
    Posts
    4,139
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @ercchry ...if I get a zr2 want to show me how to do the off-road shit?
    +1 lets get the city guys out on the trail
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,303
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    I am eyeballing 4x4s right now too... so this is a possibility

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,679
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Oh I thought that was you in the Jeep. Lol

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,303
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    It was, but that was almost a decade ago... M3 life currently for me

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: chevy s10 ZR2 offroad package

    By Boosted131 in forum Cars, Trucks, Motorbikes, and Trailers
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 09-23-2012, 01:08 AM
  2. FS: 2003 Chevy Blazer ZR2 *SOLD*

    By Civic Dy-lon in forum Trucks, SUVs, Vans, Trailers
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 06-08-2010, 04:03 PM
  3. FS: 99 Chevy Blazer ZR2

    By ///LOUD LOAD\\\ in forum Trucks, SUVs, Vans, Trailers
    Replies: 11
    Latest Threads: 12-12-2009, 12:06 AM
  4. FS. 1998 black Chevy blazer Zr2

    By dee_28 in forum Trucks, SUVs, Vans, Trailers
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 04-21-2008, 09:47 AM
  5. FS: 2001 Chevy S-10 ZR2

    By hoppy2018 in forum Cars, Trucks, Motorbikes, and Trailers
    Replies: 10
    Latest Threads: 03-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •