Quantcast
Any recommended shops for diesel light trucks? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Any recommended shops for diesel light trucks?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Question Any recommended shops for diesel light trucks?

Hey everybody, thanks in advance for reading this and offering any help you can suggest. My friend has an 04 Sierra 2500 with the Duramax, it's a very problematic year. He is getting extremely frustrated with the recurring injector problems, and localized hot spots it's now experiencing. He is at his witts end, as I had to just pick him up out of town, as the truck is pissing diesel as it was towing the trailer for the long weekend.

Every shop he has been to has been a disaster in one way or the other. Any good places that honestly know their shit?
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_A_M View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey everybody, thanks in advance for reading this and offering any help you can suggest. My friend has an 04 Sierra 2500 with the Duramax, it's a very problematic year. He is getting extremely frustrated with the recurring injector problems, and localized hot spots it's now experiencing. He is at his witts end, as I had to just pick him up out of town, as the truck is pissing diesel as it was towing the trailer for the long weekend.

Every shop he has been to has been a disaster in one way or the other. Any good places that honestly know their shit?
    If that year is a lemon, dump it. There's never been a better time to get out from under a PoS truck.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

If you aren't putting new bosch injectors in you will have nothing but problems.

The fuel system on a duramax especially the early variations are crazy simple and if fuel is leaking it should be a pretty easy fix unless something mechanical has completely failed.

I could recommend two shops but both are in Strathmore.

My Ride

Please do. Curious if this shitty year is workable, if it's worth it to just wipe his hands clear. Strathmore is a bit more then a 1hr drive, he is in Turner Valley
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 07-30-2021 at 09:43 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Please do. Curious if this shitty year is workable, if it's worth it to just wipe his hands clear. Strathmore is a bit more then a 1hr drive, he is in Turner Valley
    I haven't used them but there is Alpha Diesel in the SE and for Strathmore talk to Bandit Diesel.

Could talk to Bandit and see who they may recommend closer.
    Last edited by firebane; 07-30-2021 at 09:56 PM.

My Ride
    something green

The Dodge dealer in Okotoks has a tech there that for a large part of his career was a GM diesel tech. He's a thorough mechanic, and worth paying the rate for.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    The Dodge dealer in Okotoks has a tech there that for a large part of his career was a GM diesel tech. He's a thorough mechanic, and worth paying the rate for.
    Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    I haven't used them but there is Alpha Diesel in the SE and for Strathmore talk to Bandit Diesel.

Could talk to Bandit and see who they may recommend closer.
    Thank you

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    If that year is a lemon, dump it. There's never been a better time to get out from under a PoS truck.
    I know, the 06's and up are fine, the 04-05 was the problem years. They redid the engines past that, 06's and up are absolutely amazing. Trying to buy an 08 or newer duramax for the farm. I can't stand the older ones, 08 or newer is what we're after. Diesel market now is horrendous however.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 07-31-2021 at 05:31 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I know, the 06's and up are fine, the 04-05 was the problem years. They redid the engines past that, 06's and up are absolutely amazing. Trying to buy an 08 or newer duramax for the farm. I can't stand the older ones, 08 or newer is what we're after. Diesel market now is horrendous however.
    A bit off here.

LB7s are a terrible year as the inectors are under the valve covers and have leaking issues due to the injector cups. These were 01-04 model years.

LLYs really only had some head gasket issues which was a fairly easy fix... costly but not too difficult and wasn't a really big issue. These years improved a lot and are quite reliable as my truck is a LLY and has over 450k on the odometer. These were mostly 05-06 with some half years in there.

Then came the LB7 which is the motor everyone wants as it was still pre emissions and fixed all the issues from previous years.

But yeah used diesels are stupid priced and for anything clean you need to take a mortgage out.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    A bit off here.

LB7s are a terrible year as the inectors are under the valve covers and have leaking issues due to the injector cups. These were 01-04 model years.

LLYs really only had some head gasket issues which was a fairly easy fix... costly but not too difficult and wasn't a really big issue. These years improved a lot and are quite reliable as my truck is a LLY and has over 450k on the odometer. These were mostly 05-06 with some half years in there.

Then came the LB7 which is the motor everyone wants as it was still pre emissions and fixed all the issues from previous years.

But yeah used diesels are stupid priced and for anything clean you need to take a mortgage out.
    Thank you sir, yeah I'm trying to help him with his LB7. It's frustrating. .he bought the worst year of the Izusu duramax

Schultz Diesel Sports