Quantcast
You Retirement Goals? - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your retirement Plan?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave Canada, live where it's cheap

19 11.73%
  • Live in an RV, Cabin, or Boat

3 1.85%
  • No Debts / >30K Year of Income

10 6.17%
  • No Debts / >50K Year of Income

32 19.75%
  • No Debts / >80K Year of Income

60 37.04%
  • Make Due with Government Pension

7 4.32%
  • Work until I die

31 19.14%
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: You Retirement Goals?

Work til i die is surpisingly high. And here i thought ol terlet d was one of few

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Money is useless... personally I only care about the things I can exchange it for

Any more money than that is a burden IMO
    Health > Money
    Rather be still able to play certain sports and be active when I'm 65+ than have 50 mill in the bank. Life is boring when you're old and you can't do shit.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Health > Money
    Rather be still able to play certain sports and be active when I'm 65+ than have 50 mill in the bank. Life is boring when you're old and you can't do shit.
    Nah, lots of stuff you can spend your money on.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Health > Money
    I didn’t say you can’t have both ....
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    You can never have to much money.
    I'd rather have time.

Obviously, money is needed for a decent living but there comes a point where I value my time just as much as what I can spend.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    I'd rather have time.

Obviously, money is needed for a decent living but there comes a point where I value my time just as much as what I can spend.
    He never said you can't have both of those, either.

That said, to a certain extent, more money can buy more time (I'm sure you know this, more than most around here).

More money means being able to pay for services that take up your time, freeing you to spend your time doing things you'd rather. Cleaning, cooking, errands, repairs... all of those can take up a significant amount of your time. "But, but, I like to cook" - well, that's not the point... No one likes scrubbing their toilets or dusting their window sills... Having money means you can pay someone to do that.

And money is not useless without the things you can exchange it for. Having an "excess" of money means security. Exchanging it for "things" is one thing, but not having to worry about costs if / when something unexpected crops up is pretty priceless... There can be a lot of crappy situations that only get worse if you have the additional stress of how you can afford the solution... I'd rather be in a position where that isn't a factor.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I feel like I’m semi retired now. I’m self employed, make my own hours, make a very good living, and have zero debt.

I’m currently looking into diversifying my portfolio more, been heavily invested in the O&G sector for 26 years and I feel it’s time to look elsewhere. The future isn’t looking bright for O&G and I don’t want to lose all my gains on the downslide.

Took me 8 years to pay my house off, best feeling ever.

Now I’m focused on heavily investing. I have to wait 10 more years, my youngest will be in University at that time and then the Wife and I can start travelling the world.

That is my goal, to be able to travel on a whim and see the world.

Big houses and fancy cars don’t get me excited anymore, they seem more like a burden then an enjoyment.

We have around $550K saved up for retirement. I'm finding whatever piddly amounts I contribute to my RRSP is rather useless now. 20 years still.

Mortgage will be paid off in three years when the term ends. I'm going to lump sum pay off the rest. Paying off early during the term seems to be rather pointless so I'll probably just shove some of that money into a 3 year GIC.

Now for hookers and blow.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    We have around $550K saved up for retirement. I'm finding whatever piddly amounts I contribute to my RRSP is rather useless now. 20 years still.

Mortgage will be paid off in three years when the term ends. I'm going to lump sum pay off the rest. Paying off early during the term seems to be rather pointless so I'll probably just shove some of that money into a 3 year GIC.

Now for hookers and blow.

Why is paying off your term early pointless? You are paying interest monthly, where as if you have the money to pay it off now, you avoid paying that interest.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

You have 20 years to retirement? I’m sure I pictured you as being in your 60s already

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Why is paying off your term early pointless? You are paying interest monthly, where as if you have the money to pay it off now, you avoid paying that interest.
    depends... if its a fixed term from a big bank with an inflated "posted rate" the IRD could be more than the difference from his GIC and the remaining interest left.... if variable with 3 month interest penalty... then yeah. agreed... but he could also be in a MCAP value-flex... and have zero options to payout early.

I end up saving like $1000. Might as well just hold onto the money in case my arms get cutoff or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    You have 20 years to retirement? I’m sure I pictured you as being in your 60s already
    Get off my lawn.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I end up saving like $1000. Might as well just hold onto the money in case my arms get cutoff or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Get off my lawn.
    What type of mortgage do you have?

I paid mine out early, it was a $1043.00 penalty vs $358/mth interest if I would have waited out the term.

I was prime minus .95 fixed variable

It's a 20/20 mortgage, I could raise the payment quite a bit or payoff some. But it's only at 2.49%.

I can't pay it off in its entirety right now. Even if I'm aggressive I still end up with a couple of years of payments.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

It's a 20/20 mortgage, I could raise the payment quite a bit or payoff some. But it's only at 2.49%.

I can't pay it off in its entirety right now. Even if I'm aggressive I still end up with a couple of years of payments.
    Sorry I guess I miss interpreted your post above, it made it sound like your mortgage would be paid off at the end of your 3 year term, if you currently are paying 2.49% your monthly interest will total way more then if you were to pay it out entirely now and pay the penalty. I assumed you had the money available to pay it now. My bad
    Last edited by 89coupe; 07-16-2019 at 02:15 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Sorry I guess I miss interpreted your post above, it made it sound like your mortgage would be paid off at the end of your 3 year term, if you currently are paying 2.49% your monthly interest will total way more then if you were to pay it out entirely now and pay the penalty. I assumed you had the money available to pay it now. My bad
    2.49% sounds like a fixed term, not variable... so IRD which can be substantial ie. scotia's posted rate is 4.15%, so 4.15-2.49 is 1.66%, so he would have to pay that for the remaining term... so if his GIC pays more than 0.83% he is winning.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Our goal is freedom 55 for my wife so that gives us 5 years and 18 days-I plan on retiring at the same time.
    Between our RRSPs, TFSA and current residence we should eclipse 7 figures net worth sometime prior to that.
    The house will be paid off and sold so we can downsize to a smaller car-friendly community kind of like Lethbridge with the Street Wheelers probably in southern Alberta.
    Pick up a vintage RV like a Travco and in winter head south till the butter melts.
    Will be drawing my work pension on top of things which is exclusive of our net worth figures. We want to retire early enough to enjoy our golden years!

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    2.49% sounds like a fixed term, not variable... so IRD which can be substantial ie. scotia's posted rate is 4.15%, so 4.15-2.49 is 1.66%, so he would have to pay that for the remaining term... so if his GIC pays more than 0.83% he is winning.
    You keep saying GIC??? What does that have to do with paying off his mortgage? Are you assuming he would use a GIC to pay his mortgage off? I’m assuming he has liquid cash available. I’m confused as to what you are trying to say???

Is there a higher penalty for discharging a fixed rate mortgage vs a variable rate fixed term?

Just curious, as I’m not sure what you are trying to explain.

Or are you saying it’s better for him to put the money into a GIC vs using it to pay off the mortgage?

Looks like a 3 year GIC pays out 1.6% annually on a 3 year. Peanuts
    Last edited by 89coupe; 07-16-2019 at 03:31 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

You keep saying GIC??? What does that have to do with paying off his mortgage? Are you assuming he would use a GIC to pay his mortgage off? I’m assuming he has liquid cash available. I’m confused as to what you are trying to say???

Is there a higher penalty for discharging a fixed rate mortgage vs a variable rate fixed term?

Just curious, as I’m not sure what you are trying to explain.

Or are you saying it’s better for him to put the money into a GIC vs using it to pay off the mortgage?

Looks like a 3 year GIC pays out 1.6% annually on a 3 year. Peanuts
    yes, he originally noted he was going to invest in a GIC till his term is up. fixed uses interest rate differential and it is calculated of the posted rate by the big banks, not current "special" rates that they actually offer at market value... its pretty slimy and somewhere where the monolines shine as they do not have a inflated posted rate

EDIT: plenty of higher GICs, look at Equitable bank, or home trust
    Last edited by ercchry; 07-16-2019 at 03:37 PM.

I was just thinking of getting a Simplii GIC, rate's not bad for a three year.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast