Quantcast
These Are the Best Supercars of the 90s - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: These Are the Best Supercars of the 90s

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,247
    Rep Power
    26

    Default These Are the Best Supercars of the 90s

    https://www.supercars.net/blog/nippy...-of-the-1990s/

    My boss spent hours researching and putting this list together. What do you think? Agree/disagree?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    6,804
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 04:40 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,247
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a modern article it is good, but I think it is ignoring the true spirit of that era.
    Tell me more. This is good.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,578
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I can definitely side with Sugar on this... I don't consider a NSX a super car by ANY means. It was a unique and cool car... but its really a meh car.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I didn't even know about McLaren or Bugatti in the 90's at all, and well they are better known these days I wouldn't call it an iconic car of the 90's.

    When I think of cars I idolized in the 90's the NSX, Esprit V8, Countach, and the Testarossa are the ones that come to mind

    As a modern article it is good, but I think it is ignoring the true spirit of that era.
    You could be forgiven for not knowing about the EB110... But the McLaren F1? Really? And not iconic? Turn in your car-guy ID card and see yourself out...


    Overall, I thought the list was OK, though there seem to be some questionable choices, both inclusions and omissions.

    The Japanese supercars are very obscure and, to me, scream "Gran Turismo" fan, rather than legitimate selection.

    Three versions of the 993 seems a little much.

    No Ferrari F355? Another icon that is perhaps the most widely regarded mid-engine V8 Ferrari ever...

    I'm on the fence about the NSX... It was a game-changer in the sports car arena, but it's a pretty big stretch to call it a supercar.
    Last edited by you&me; 05-09-2019 at 03:26 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965
    Posts
    3,073
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Shoot .. that is no good ..

    Will make the gen 1 NSX price keeps going up ....
    The Original !

    1234567, ¶h≥“¶hĪo

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    S2K
    Posts
    2,237
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    A lot of that list is fantastic. I would echo having 3 porsches on there is a bit much.

    I don't think including the abstract le mans cars or one-offs in that list fit the theme (e.g. the Dauer 962 and Toyota GT-one... the Nissan R390 is borderline), but overall it's a pretty good representation. XJ220 and Mac F1 are great examples of era defining cars, IMO.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,247
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm on the fence about the NSX... It was a game-changer in the sports car arena, but it's a pretty big stretch to call it a supercar.
    I disagree/agree.

    Disagree in that in the 90s, it kept pace with the Ferrari's of the world.

    Agree in that, when viewed today, it's got about as much power as a modern Camry.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,203
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    When I think 90s I simply think Japanese imports so I’m glad to see NSX on that list.
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Beyond We Trust

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Beaumont
    My Ride
    B8.5 S4, Touareg, many 944s
    Posts
    468
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I think the cars should be stock too for their pictures. The 993TT has some weird fender vents that don't belong.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Pt Cruiser
    Posts
    853
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree/agree.

    Disagree in that in the 90s, it kept pace with the Ferrari's of the world.

    Agree in that, when viewed today, it's got about as much power as a modern Camry.
    Which 90s Ferrariís does the NSX keep up with? Iíve seen an 89 944 turbo s with some minor modifications destroy a 91 nsx. Just have a hard time believing they were keeping up with any mid-top tier Ferrariís of the 90s if it could barely keep up with the entry-mid level Porsche.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)
    Posts
    502
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the cars should be stock too for their pictures. The 993TT has some weird fender vents that don't belong.
    Both the 993 Turbo S and RUF CTR-2 pictured appear to be stock (if that's how you want to refer to a RUF).

    Edit - FWIW, the 993 GT2 pictured appears to be stock as well.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which 90s Ferrari’s does the NSX keep up with? I’ve seen an 89 944 turbo s with some minor modifications destroy a 91 nsx. Just have a hard time believing they were keeping up with any mid-top tier Ferrari’s of the 90s if it could barely keep up with the entry-mid level Porsche.
    An early NSX could (basically) keep up with its contemporary, the 348.

    The 348 wasn't a great car, but the NSX was credited with Ferrari upping their game in developing the beloved F355...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,247
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which 90s Ferrari’s does the NSX keep up with? I’ve seen an 89 944 turbo s with some minor modifications destroy a 91 nsx. Just have a hard time believing they were keeping up with any mid-top tier Ferrari’s of the 90s if it could barely keep up with the entry-mid level Porsche.
    Ferrari 348 (https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/p43ru12l5ivd), kept up with the 355 in many cases (https://carbuzz.com/news/supercars-o...assed-by-honda)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,693
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    i think the list is pretty good, all of those cars scream 1990s supercars to me. I would probably add the Ford GT90 to the list and pretty much any car featured in Need for Speed 2 that isn't already in there.
    Last edited by sabad66; 05-09-2019 at 03:59 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,014
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Deja Vu? I swear you posted this before haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    YVR
    Posts
    4,957
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the cars should be stock too for their pictures. The 993TT has some weird fender vents that don't belong.
    They put the 993 TT Turbo S on the list, I think that vent is stock on it whereas regular 993TT doesn't have it.

    Alot of weird cars on that list. 512m? TR is more iconic

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Beaumont
    My Ride
    B8.5 S4, Touareg, many 944s
    Posts
    468
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Both the 993 Turbo S and RUF CTR-2 pictured appear to be stock (if that's how you want to refer to a RUF).
    Interesting, I always thought those fender intakes were aftermarket.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,203
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Deja Vu? I swear you posted this before haha.
    Yes he did lol but can't tell you when and too lazy to search.
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Beyond We Trust

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,693
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Deja Vu? I swear you posted this before haha.
    i think the other list was top porsches, not supercars. could be wrong though.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Medicine Hat
    Posts
    789
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Deja Vu? I swear you posted this before haha.
    Ok, glad I'm not the only one haha.

    I like the list, the common Icons being the Diablo, F50, dodge viper etc. Either way, some nice throwbacks in there! I remember having a EB110 poster as a kid. I totally forgot about that car haha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Latest Threads: 10-08-2013, 12:56 PM
  2. SuperCars Exposed - Ultimate Supercars

    By trev0006 in forum Cars, Bikes, Machines
    Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 01-20-2010, 09:30 AM
  3. Best Late 80s Early 90s sedans

    By Nissanaddict in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 48
    Latest Threads: 05-26-2006, 11:37 AM
  4. Best MOTORing supercars (NEW!)

    By Vagabond142 in forum Cars, Bikes, Machines
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 01-12-2006, 05:02 PM
  5. wondering about prices on a mid-90s 325is, and possibly sc it

    By Impreza in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 07-10-2002, 11:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •