Quantcast
Westjet sold to Onex corporation - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 120

Thread: Westjet sold to Onex corporation

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,508
    Rep Power
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I fly a lot, I've had cheery and bitchy attendants on both. Although to be fair, I've only had the singing ones on WJ, but I wouldn't choose what airline to fly based on singing haha.
    If they're the same price, I'd rather pay for the ones who don't sing, unless it's at a professional level.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3
    Posts
    4,416
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People bitch and moan about which airline in Canada is better - but neglect to complain about the capital controls on airlines that stifle competition in this country
    All in an effort to protect Quebec, if I recall correctly, what Mr. Milton said in his book.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In economy? Nothing. Seriously, both AC and WJ are pretty much the same, to the point when WJ started charging for checked baggage, AC followed their footsteps within a week. WJ is still a few % cheaper on price than AC where they have the same routes for the same booking class, AC business class trumps WJ (although WJ is slowly catching up), and AC is way better for frequent flyers especially internationally with their partners.

    I fly a lot, I've had cheery and bitchy attendants on both. Although to be fair, I've only had the singing ones on WJ, but I wouldn't choose what airline to fly based on singing haha.
    Lol. That's actually one thing I hate about WJ. They seem to pride themselves on that silly safety demonstration. Just record it and put it on the seat back TV like AC does so I don't have to be bothered by it.

    I would agree with your sentiment mostly about service. I've found WJ to have a little more cheerful staff though. My main reason for flying so much with WJ, is that they have great flight times. AC is royally fucked in that aspect, their flight times are absolute shit for anywhere I ever need to go.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,439
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    I would agree with your sentiment mostly about service. I've found WJ to have a little more cheerful staff though. My main reason for flying so much with WJ, is that they have great flight times. AC is royally fucked in that aspect, their flight times are absolute shit for anywhere I ever need to go.
    Agree.
    Direct flights daily to Victoria:
    WestJet = 5
    AC = 0

    And I think @rage2 said WJ charged for bags first. I'm virtually certain it was AC. WJ held out as long as they could and even had an ad campaign to brag but eventually they decided to gouge like their competitor since it didn't seem to be hurting AC.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Calgary / AB
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol. That's actually one thing I hate about WJ. They seem to pride themselves on that silly safety demonstration. Just record it and put it on the seat back TV like AC does so I don't have to be bothered by it.

    I would agree with your sentiment mostly about service. I've found WJ to have a little more cheerful staff though. My main reason for flying so much with WJ, is that they have great flight times. AC is royally fucked in that aspect, their flight times are absolute shit for anywhere I ever need to go.

    Westjet is trying to be the best of both worlds: the cheerful airline that gets them the likes on FaceBook and Instagram, and the professional full service airline that gets them the big $$s that would make them profitable by attracting Business travelers who are the bread and butter of any airline.

    I personally find AC's flight times and their partnership with UA to work better for me for anywhere I want to go (with the exception of coming back from Las Vegas.) Westjet's California flight times for example are geared towards families traveling during the day, and not for the weekend hopper that wants to fly out after work on Friday and come back late Sunday. With other service, AC meets all my needs.

    What destinations doesn't AC meet your flight times at?


    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree.
    Direct flights daily to Victoria:
    WestJet = 5
    AC = 0

    And I think @rage2 said WJ charged for bags first. I'm virtually certain it was AC. WJ held out as long as they could and even had an ad campaign to brag but eventually they decided to gouge like their competitor since it didn't seem to be hurting AC.
    Remember that Westjet is a Calgary based airline, and AC is not and does not deem Calgary to be its hub. As a result, they do not have the flights you speak of. They have increased service in/out of YYC in recent years, but they are still not the hometown airline that WS is. But they provide hourly flights to Vancouver and onward connections from there to many more places. If there's no $ to be made on YYC-YYJ, they will not offer the service.

    I would have had more respect for WS if it held out and did not charge for bags. But they do. They held out enough to remain liked and then folded because the $ is too good to pass up. Southwest Airlines in the US still doesn't charge for bags and that's what differentiates them.

    Don't get me wrong I use both Westjet and Air Canada depending on schedules and fares, but I don't subscribe to the Westjet is better than Air Canada diatribe that is very Calgary centric.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Protege 5 Turbo / Ecoboost FX4
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree.
    Direct flights daily to Victoria:
    WestJet = 5
    AC = 0

    And I think @rage2 said WJ charged for bags first. I'm virtually certain it was AC. WJ held out as long as they could and even had an ad campaign to brag but eventually they decided to gouge like their competitor since it didn't seem to be hurting AC.
    From Calgary? AC offers several non-stop daily flights from YYC-YYJ and return.
    ...

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,137
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I think @rage2 said WJ charged for bags first. I'm virtually certain it was AC. WJ held out as long as they could and even had an ad campaign to brag but eventually they decided to gouge like their competitor since it didn't seem to be hurting AC.
    You're wrong. They were investigated for collusion over it.

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cla...tjet-1.3779257

    On Sept. 15, 2014, WestJet announced its new $25 checked bag charge. Air Canada made its announcement just three days later, on Sept. 18. WestJet starting charging the fee the following month, days before Air Canada did.
    Pretty clear there.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree.
    Direct flights daily to Victoria:
    WestJet = 5
    AC = 0
    Quote Originally Posted by ee2k View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What destinations doesn't AC meet your flight times at?
    Some of the west coast is kinda weak. Victoria definitely WJ > AC, although there's direct Victoria to Calgary on a dash-8 which blows. Calgary to Victoria I had to layover in Vancouver on AC which wasn't terrible because of good food in Van, but WJ direct would've been better for sure. Kamloops used to be WJ > AC mainly because AC flew that route on their Dash-8 while WJ had a more comfy bigger plane, but now WJ has downgraded to a dash-8 as well so it's even. West coast excluding Vancouver is where I fly WJ more often than AC.

    edit - Maxx Mazda is right. AC has 3 direct flights out in the dash-8. WJ is still better though it flies Victoria in a 737.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    336
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ee2k View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Westjet is trying to be the best of both worlds: the cheerful airline that gets them the likes on FaceBook and Instagram, and the professional full service airline that gets them the big $$s that would make them profitable by attracting Business travelers who are the bread and butter of any airline.

    I personally find AC's flight times and their partnership with UA to work better for me for anywhere I want to go (with the exception of coming back from Las Vegas.) Westjet's California flight times for example are geared towards families traveling during the day, and not for the weekend hopper that wants to fly out after work on Friday and come back late Sunday. With other service, AC meets all my needs.

    What destinations doesn't AC meet your flight times at?

    Cancun, Vegas, Toronto to name a few. I think the only time I found it was more beneficial to use AC was when I flew to Saskatoon one time. Oh and I probably shouldn't make a sweeping statement that their flight times are all terrible. They do have the odd flight times that line up, but for some reason they will be 200$ more than WJ.




    Quote Originally Posted by ee2k View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Remember that Westjet is a Calgary based airline, and AC is not and does not deem Calgary to be its hub. As a result, they do not have the flights you speak of. They have increased service in/out of YYC in recent years, but they are still not the hometown airline that WS is. But they provide hourly flights to Vancouver and onward connections from there to many more places. If there's no $ to be made on YYC-YYJ, they will not offer the service.

    I would have had more respect for WS if it held out and did not charge for bags. But they do. They held out enough to remain liked and then folded because the $ is too good to pass up. Southwest Airlines in the US still doesn't charge for bags and that's what differentiates them.

    Don't get me wrong I use both Westjet and Air Canada depending on schedules and fares, but I don't subscribe to the Westjet is better than Air Canada diatribe that is very Calgary centric.
    To this day I do not understand how all the airlines screwed up this bag checking fee so badly. It's all about marketing. Instead of a 25$ fee for checked bag, just increase all your fares by 15$ and claim to not charge for bags. They still make the checked bag revenue, and the customers are none the wiser about an extra 15$ due to how volatile flight pricing is to begin with. And most people aren't booking a particular flight to save 15$, they're booking it because it gets them where they need to be at a certain time. So the business shouldn't loose out on customer base.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,584
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    I'm pretty sure @rage2 considers airline companies to be lounge operators who just happen to run shuttle flights between lounges.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,260
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty sure @rage2 considers airline companies to be lounge operators who just happen to run shuttle flights between lounges.
    If that was the case Westjet definitely loses lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    car2go
    Posts
    2,874
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty sure @rage2 considers airline companies to be lounge operators who just happen to run shuttle flights between lounges.
    Wait, so are you saying this isn't the case?

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,137
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Those aren’t shuttles. They’re mobile lounges.

    3B5D9793-5F5F-4453-B1AF-6F6B7BE0DEE8.jpg
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Egg Sammich
    Posts
    1,439
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From Calgary? AC offers several non-stop daily flights from YYC-YYJ and return.
    *On a flying school bus, yes...
    Perhaps I was recalling Edmonton where there was/is no AC options without a Vancouver stop.

    Oh, and @rage2 I must've been thinking about their non Canadian flights. After some digging, it looks like AC was charging for bags before WJ in that instance.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,137
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    *On a flying school bus, yes...
    Guaranteed WJ will slowly change that route to a dash-8 under Encore at some point to cut costs. Like I said earlier, they did it to Kamloops already as Encore grew their fleet of Q400's. I'll bet AC's 3 daily flights on Q400's are more profitable than WJ's 5 on 737s.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,655
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Onex - are they in the business of buying low-performing businesses and then selling them 5 years later? (eg. 50$ share).

    In other words, are they in it for short term gain? (ie. their analysts have identified issues they can fix and turn around)
    Blue horseshoe love blue star airlines!

    But in all seriousness... the whole nickel and dining thing that was supposed to make things cheaper is no longer the case.

    Over $800 return with WJ to YYZ this summer when factoring in the $40 charge for the right to cancel or change, and $30 each way for a fucking checked bag

    ...then and extra $400 on top to take my dogs out

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    calgary / alberta
    My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo
    Posts
    677
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    People bitch and moan about which airline in Canada is better - but neglect to complain about the capital controls on airlines that stifle competition in this country
    Foreign Ownership limits? Please elaborate.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,584
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Foreign Ownership limits? Please elaborate.
    Canadians must own 51% of an airline.

    No foreign individual can own more than 25%

    No foreign air carrier can own more than 25%

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Foreign Ownership limits? Please elaborate.
    All part of the game in the airline industry:



    Unless there was a huge spike in investment in the air industry after going from 25% to 49% in 2018 I doubt Canada will be in a big rush to change it again soon without another big change from somebody else.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 05-19-2019 at 05:46 PM.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Calgary Alberta
    My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive
    Posts
    1,974
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To this day I do not understand how all the airlines screwed up this bag checking fee so badly. It's all about marketing. Instead of a 25$ fee for checked bag, just increase all your fares by 15$ and claim to not charge for bags. They still make the checked bag revenue, and the customers are none the wiser about an extra 15$ due to how volatile flight pricing is to begin with. And most people aren't booking a particular flight to save 15$, they're booking it because it gets them where they need to be at a certain time. So the business shouldn't loose out on customer base.
    It's all an illusion man. Airlines un-bundled things like Seat Selection, Baggage, Meals, to give the public the impression they are getting a less expensive ticket. Instead its just been a huge money maker for airlines. Unfortunately in Canada you have two major players, WestJet and Air Canada, who basically coexist peacefully with each other. WestJet adds $5 to their bag fee, oh here comes Air Canada to do the same. Same thing happened in the states because you have four major airlines with 80% of the market share. I don't know what AC and WS make off those fees, but in the states they bring in over $4 billion worth of revenue to the airlines. It freaking sucks. The best you can do now to avoid those fees is fly frequently enough that the airline sees your business as important and will waive the fee due to your status, or get one of the credit cards that supplies you with a free bag.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Protege 5 Turbo / Ecoboost FX4
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dino_martini View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's all an illusion man. Airlines un-bundled things like Seat Selection, Baggage, Meals, to give the public the impression they are getting a less expensive ticket. Instead its just been a huge money maker for airlines. Unfortunately in Canada you have two major players, WestJet and Air Canada, who basically coexist peacefully with each other. WestJet adds $5 to their bag fee, oh here comes Air Canada to do the same. Same thing happened in the states because you have four major airlines with 80% of the market share. I don't know what AC and WS make off those fees, but in the states they bring in over $4 billion worth of revenue to the airlines. It freaking sucks. The best you can do now to avoid those fees is fly frequently enough that the airline sees your business as important and will waive the fee due to your status, or get one of the credit cards that supplies you with a free bag.
    Do you think flying should be free? That airlines should operate as not for profits? They’re providing a service, which costs money. If you don’t like that service, or the price, you’re free to go elsewhere.
    ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Westjet credit or Westjet Buddy Pass or Airmiles to Toronto

    By rockwolf2001 in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 01-21-2013, 10:34 PM
  2. Corporation and Dividends ?

    By djayz in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 09-05-2008, 03:23 PM
  3. Sole proprietorship vs corporation

    By FlySi in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 8
    Latest Threads: 03-17-2008, 12:10 AM
  4. Finding ownership of a corporation

    By Whitetiger in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 03-29-2007, 01:50 AM
  5. Anyone work for Focus Corporation?

    By dance4life in forum Careers
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 06-30-2006, 08:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •